Pet vs. Hobby

Flower

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's both for me, a hobby of pets! They're pets that you can interact with and take care of, but you can also collect them. Tarantulas have such few cleaning/feeding/attention needs you can have a lot and not be in over your head.

FuzzOctave

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For me, it's both, pets and a hobby. I have been fascinated by these buggers since I was about nine years old. I grew up in rural Tucson, and seeing wild Aphonopelma chalcodes was nearly an every day thing. Now, I have over twenty and I've no plans to stop acquiring them. I use the scientific names, etc., but at the prodding of friends, I have given them names of old Hollywood actors... Yeah, very original, I know. I find having them to be very therapeutic. When I get home from a stressful day of work, it's very soothing to tend to my collection. Of course, there is the occasional heart race of rehousing my speedy P. regalis and the like.

I would not wait for a house unless you are concerned about the use of pesticides in the building. Owning your own house is great for having T's. Every time an exterminator comes to my door attempting to sell me their service: I simply say "No Thank you, I have a sizable (well, to the average person) collection of arachnids that I'd like to keep alive", and send them on their way.:evil:

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with Nerri. Its the same for me, the longer I have a T the more I grow accustomed to it.

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pets for me

I love animals!! My dad was a zoo keeper when I was a kid so animals have always been in my life. I have had the "standard" household animals (dogs, cats, birds etc.) throughout my lifetime but have had exotics as well (bobcat hybrid, ferrets, sugar gliders etc). I got into this "hobby" when I received my first tarantula (G rosea) for a birthday 5 1/2 yrs ago. Then 3 1/2 yrs ago I got a B smithi. I love these tarantulas just as I do my cats/dogs etc etc. I was content with my 2 UNTIL I got my first A versicolor sub adult about 1 yr ago. He is what dragged me into my obsession. I have over 100 t's now and all but 18 (A versi slings) are named. The only reason I didn't name the versi's is because I have plans to sell them. I name them and the possibility of selling them is gone..they become MINE and I'm trying not to grow too attached. I keep feeding/molting logs on all my tarantulas so I can better take care of them (anticipate an impending molt, know if they are eating properly, know of a possible problem with my babies before it's to late) I may not write those things down for my furry/feathered babies but with them it's so much easier to see a problem. And for the record, I hold my tarantulas--many of them anyway. I have pet fish and NO I don't hold them for OBVIOUS reasons. But they are my pets as well. That's my 2 cents. Hope no one wants change.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For me they are pets and a hobby.

I give them names, give them nice display cages, hell, sometimes I even talk to them! (they never talk back though) :rolleyes:

I do realize they don't have emotions (at least nothing we could comprehend)and I never hold them because they either don't like it, or couldn't care less.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For those I raised from slings, pets, for the more than hundred other T's hobby.

Pets are my animals who recipricate and interact with me, my kids/pets are my African Grey parrot Ive had him 21 yrs, my dalmation 15 yrs and my two cats 21 and 9 yrs.

My T's are great, but they are a hobby, try hugging an OBT{D .

PIG-

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For those I raised from slings, pets, for the more than hundred other T's hobby.

Pets are my animals who recipricate and interact with me, my kids/pets are my African Grey parrot Ive had him 21 yrs, my dalmation 15 yrs and my two cats 21 and 9 yrs.

My T's are great, but they are a hobby, try hugging an OBT{D .

PIG-
The perfect post on this thread (replace dalmation with doberman). Spot on!

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
By definition...

Here's what Webster has to say:

Pet: 1 a: a pampered and usually spoiled child b: a person who is treated with unusual kindness or consideration : darling
2: a domesticated animal kept for pleasure rather than utility

Hobby: : a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation

Based on this I'd say a largely resounding BOTH! My T's are a bit pampered (food provided without any effort other that catching it, water, shelter, no predators to eat them, tempature control, etc) Not exactly a "domesticated animal" but kept for pleasure rather than utility non-the-less.

and deffinatly a extra curricular persuit of happiness :)

Go get your 1st Tarantula! Tell your hubby they don't smell, require very little upkeep, and after the initial cost of the animal, cost next to nothing to maintain! Be careful though...They're a tad bit addictive...

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It is a fine line for me as well I guess. I suppose I consider myself a collector/hobbyist of tarantulas. I want many different species before I venture further into the world of attempting to breed them. I guess the desire to begin breeding would just extend deeper into the hobby. I've always been amazed by spiders, for as long as I can remember. I happened to get into tarantulas by chance.
I have two specimens, my first two, that I've had for 7 years, and I am pretty attached to them. One is an OBT! I'll be more than a bit bummed when they pass on. I've got some tiny slings of a couple of species that I've coveted for years, and could finally afford. I imagine the longer I have them the more attached I will become. I finally got an Acanthoscurria geniculata, and she is the gem of my collection (for now until the A. versicolor and the GBB grow up) but it is kinda hard to feel cuddly about a spider that ruthlessly tries to eat everything and anything that drops into the cage (even my hand)! I have to cup her to do housekeeping. She has won my total attention, admiration, and respect for sure! :D
Next on the list I've decided is P. irminia, and then another pokie. What next? LOL I have a list twenty or thirty specimens long.
I also take the 'fish in an aquarium' approach for the most part. (Hands off)
Yes, I am a collector. And an addict. :}

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both for me, and almost equally.

... my spiders (... 5 of ... them ...) have names and will be with me forever, no matter what. They are definitely pets, and my heart would just break if they died. I talk to them ...

However, I am a very scientifically inclined person, and I have this persistent urge to document molts, observe behavior, ... I use scientific names over 90% of the time and I am driven to learn as much as I can. This part, to me, is the hobby.
Ditto - no need to try to say it myself!!!

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's definitely a hobby and I look at them all as pets. Ts are extremely easy to care for but it's fun to learn how each one works as they grow. I started out with 1 tarantula and no experience. Within a week I was making custom enclosures and buying random Ts from different breeders online. Now I have 32 Ts. I began with mainly New World Ts but have recently been branching into the Old Worlds Ts. The NW Ts are great for beginners and are extremely easy to care for. The OWs are stil respectively easy to care for but seem to have a little bit of a "surprise" factor to them.

My other thought however. When you buy a dog, you don't get online and read about them and let the hours of the night slip away. There is something inherently interesting about tarantulas and the great variety in which you can have. This is how it becomes a hobby. This hobby allows us to hold different pieces of many continents in our households. That makes this hobby priceless.

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Both

So I have to amend my first post to add that although I do consider all of my T's pets, I have to say that this is very much a hobby for me aswell :} . I can have a dog but if I spend much of my time making dog houses and decorating dog bowles, to me that would be a hobby. I spend endless hours making custom enclosures for my tarantulas, finding the PERFECT plant for "Tili's" (or whomever) enclosure and looking up and learning as much as I can until 3am (where does the time go???):D

Dragonfroggy

Arachnopeon
I am new to this T world as well but already have 6 different kinds. Wow IrishPolishman couldn't say it better!!

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am new to this T world as well but already have 6 different kinds. Wow IrishPolishman couldn't say it better!!
You'll have 30 before you know it. You'll start finding ways to slip something about your Ts into any conversation. You'll even start carrying a small display cube in your car for the instances in which you come across a cool garden spider and want to examine it.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For me they're a hobby. Though I take great care of them, it's much more of a fascination that I have with them, unlike the emotional bond one has with a mammal. Though I may look around thinking about which species of invert looks cool, I can go to a shelter and get a cat or dog regardless of the way it looks.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You'll have 30 before you know it. You'll start finding ways to slip something about your Ts into any conversation. You'll even start carrying a small display cube in your car for the instances in which you come across a cool garden spider and want to examine it.
Too late.... I keep a vial in my pocket whenever I go outside to tend the garden or out for a walk. ;P