Phampho humidity?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I kept my mascara and machala mostly dry and made sure they always had water + overflowed the dish in that corner. This resulted in one damp corner and a gradient over to the dry corner. Worked well for many years for me.
I wondered if why i lost a few other ones is because i didn’t keep them wet like t blondi , perhaps it was just bad luck ? I kept this one dry for a few years it was fine . But I went back to wet sub.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Hopefully this is the dumbest thing I say all day, but what about taking a stick and poking a bunch of holes in the substrate to create more surface area exposed to the open air. All the way down to the bottom. Shouldn't kick up too many hairs but maybe put your arm in a garbage sack while you do it

And then a fan for some moving air, a gentle breeze and obviously not aimed at the Ts. You could kick it up a notch considering you only have top holes, they won't feel a thing. Well actually they probably will feel the vibration from the fan 🤣

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I'd think something like mold is pretty simple to solve. If you are getting that much mold, maybe the air is humid enough and adding all that water to the substrate is not necessary.

I hear pamphos are quite resilient and can thrive on less damp soil as well.

Lessen the wetness, increase airflow or stop wetting the dirt all together.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I'd think something like mold is pretty simple to solve. If you are getting that much mold, maybe the air is humid enough and adding all that water to the substrate is not necessary.

I hear pamphos are quite resilient and can thrive on less damp soil as well.

Lessen the wetness, increase airflow or stop wetting the dirt all together.
Hmm then i guess my other pamphos must had been lost to genetic issues cuz this one was kept dry for a year or two no issues I was worried maybe prior losses was from not keeping sub completely wet . But perhaps I can just let it dry out . What do you think about adding the sub in the links a few posts above ?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I added the Eco earth, just to hold moisture longer than topsoil as you can see in the first picture when I let it dry out. I mixed some topsoil from this bag but I’m not sure about just this stuff alone https://arachnoboards.com/threads/the-hunt-for-good-top-soil.362763/post-3399966
Usually topsoil holds moisture for quite long time, specially clay based ones. I like peat and clay based ones as they tend to offer the best of both worlds.

Eco earth (coco husk), peat, coco fiber... etc tend to hold too much moisture, and along with their tendency to create air pockets you usually end up having mold issues, since they are not so efficient spreading that moisture across all the soil. Also they tend to absorbe and loose moisture quite fast, but those same air pockets are very good insulators, so what happens is that the top layer dries quite fast, while the rest remains moist. Entering in a endless circle of constantly adding moisture to keep the top moist, increasing the bottom moisture levels overtime.

So, what would I do? One, get a good topsoil bag, usually those come pre filtered, so the smaller the grain, the smaller the air pockets will be. Or... take that substrate, and put it in a blender. It sounds crazy, but this will make the mix more homogeneous, and at the same time the fibers will be much smaller, reducing the size of the air pockets and that way helping to spread the moisture more evenly.

Clay holds a lot of moisture, but it releases it more gradually. Even if it looks "dry" due to it's porosity it still releases moisture, keeping the enclosure fairly humid. The only "drawback" it's his permeability. It's low, so to hydrate it properly it's much better to add low volumes of water more frequently rather than all at once. Once it's saturated it will last for quite long time.

Hence why I preffer having some peat. It will absorb quickly any excess of moisture, but being them small (choped) and in direct contact with the clay, they gradually will hydrate that clay.