Please help tell the difference... experts needed

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i am pretty sure they will be split at some point. But for now i think we have to wait until some taxonomist comes up with solid answers.
I am just amazed it hasn't happened yet, considering the subject has been around for years already. I heard of someone who claimed to have a paper in the pipeline, but they were also splitting the 3 variations of vittata and the 2 ornata variations, so I was a bit apprehensive.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
These are both sisters around 10cm... Just shows how much variation there is within a sac even.
Many are mislabeled in the trade, and no doubt highland and lowland get crossed by accident, which could account for color differences in siblings.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is their mother:

And another 4 of their siblings, all pretty lightly coloured:

---------- Post added 05-26-2014 at 03:18 PM ----------

And you would agree the one on the left is highland and the right is lowland?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here is their mother:

If you asked me i completely agree, there is no doubt.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Here is their mother:

Wow thats one beautiful mom.... stacey's mom has got it going on hahaha... what size are those siblings??

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you asked me i completely agree, there is no doubt.
I was asking you.
That's the way I had it.

---------- Post added 05-26-2014 at 03:31 PM ----------

Wow thats one beautiful mom.... stacey's mom has got it going on hahaha... what size are those siblings??
All between 10 and 12 cm.
The 2 sitting side by side are both females (Exuvium sexed)
The 4 communal I suspect are 3 females and 1 male. The male is the one facing upwards of the 4.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well that sucks... i dont have much hope that mine will become darker then... thanx again for everyone!!
I forgot to mention that you should not be dissapointed that it is a highland you got, then you just have a very good reason to buy a lowland;-)
Both are a must in a serious collection..

TLover007

Arachnosquire
I forgot to mention that you should not be dissapointed that it is a highland you got, then you just have a very good reason to buy a lowland;-)
Both are a must in a serious collection..
Hahaha afterwords I thought exactly the same thing... ive done some window shopping and apparently I was lucky because around here highland is a bit hard to find... i already have a dealer that has lowland in stock... but i will first get a pic and ask you if its lowland so keep your eyes open on this thread!! :)

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Highland are definately less common in SA.
Let me know if you do not find a lowland.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Great photos! It's prob the angle but the darker female looks larger. Would be interesting to see photos of the male and it looks like mom has darker coloration in some areas. She's a nice specimen too, are you sure she didn't get around with any other males? :coffee: