Poecilotheria: ventral sexing vs. dorsal sexing

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Perhaps a little off topic, but Joe, you have a 8" P. formosa? :eek:

I thought they were one of the smaller Poecilotheria species.
Check out his new T.bondi video. It's gigantic! :liar:{D;P

This will be helpful once my Pokies will actually let me see under them. I'll have a little more advantage once they outgrow the deli cups. {D

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thread resurrection! :D

I was curious what some of the members who prefer dorsal sexing think of these two P. subfusca:

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Thread resurrection! :D

I was curious what some of the members who prefer dorsal sexing think of these two P. subfusca:

I'm obviously very new to the hobby, but I have read quite a bit about dorsal sexing of pokies and I would say male.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Toni, there are two different specimens pictured. :)
I know. I say male.. for both. According to everything I have read, the inner patterning on the abdomen is usually is much darker than the outer patterning for males. And of all the comparison pictures I have seen, the females inner pattern is much lighter - very close to the same color as the "border" of the pattern on the abdomen. That's why I am guessing male for both. I could be wrong, but that is the information I have gathered in the weeks I have been researching this. I'm fascinated with pokies, although it will be a very long time before I have one. If anything, the first would be female because it is slightly lighter, but I think male.

Last edited:

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
OK, well after skimming through the gallery of pokies and comparing P. subfusca I have to admit that with this particular pokie - the female isn't as light as the rest of them so it's very possible that the first pic is a female.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Skullptor - what species is that, and how big?

BCScorp - thanks for the link; I just now got to reading it. Great thread. :)

I never did post pics of the P. formosa...I'll have to dig through and see if I can find them. I was definitely wrong when I said she was 8", that's for sure.

MichReptiles - Thanks for your guesses, and for your explanation. Gives me a little more to think about. :) I need to get some ventrals of the larger (pictured first) subfusca. I haven't had a good luck since it was about 1-1.5".

--Joe

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P. subfusca - any guesses at gender?

FYI - this is the ventral of this specimen:

Here are two more dorsal shots:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Female fo' sho'
I agree, but would you say female based on both ventral and dorsal shots, or would you pick one over the other as being more obvious?

For me, the ventral shot is much more obvious.

Btw, grats on your sac. :)

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joe, the dorsal sexing I think is for older specimens, because the folio fades or stays dark depending on sex as they age. So for small specimens I would think that ventral is better.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Joe, the dorsal sexing I think is for older specimens, because the folio fades or stays dark depending on sex as they age. So for small specimens I would think that ventral is better.
Good point, thanks. I had actually forgotten about that. :)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just wanted to update this part, since we're discussing pokie sexing in another thread:

This formosa is 2". Male, right?

I have a subfusca that's ~1" exhibiting the same 'dot'. To me this is obviously male, as my female pokies that are larger than this don't have the dot.

I should also add I have a female regalis that's about 3" without the dot, too. I got her much smaller and never saw one.
The formosa and subfusca both 'hooked' out (more like 'bulbed' out ;)), and the regalis was indeed female.