Popcorn, anyone?

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
personally i would say that you have a haplopelma lividum male, nort 100% though

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
taorchard1987 said:
personally i would say that you have a haplopelma lividum male, nort 100% though

H. lividum mature males are a brown color, yes. However, this spider is not a mature male (although it could be a male - I don't know yet). At 3", I would expect H. lividum, both male and female, to have a blue coloration. From my understanding (and I'm just beginning to learn about Asian species), other physical characteristics point away from H. lividum.

When I first saw it I thought, "Haplopelma spp. "Vietnam". Of course, that was just a guess and hopefully I'll be able to get it an ID at some point.

Even though I do keep a few P. murinus, I don't have a huge amount of experience with extremely defensive species, so this is a huge learning experience for me.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I don't know what it is, but it is a beautiful tarantula and I hope you enjoy having it Becca! :) No matter what it is, I'm sure you'll look after it well, glad to hear that it is eating already.

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lopez said:
Is that a hybrid?! :?

;)
ah! i didnt notice i made a dumb mistake. it was a typo.
I meant proberbly a H.sp "Longipedum" , schmidti darkform maybe not.

Broken english and misssing punctations do make a difference :X

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

when someone would post a photo of a dog an asks for an ID and another one would reply with "it looks like a cat for me" – what would you think about the latter and his reply?!? *hmmm*

Martin

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
Hi,

when someone would post a photo of a dog an asks for an ID and another one would reply with "it looks like a cat for me" – what would you think about the latter and his reply?!? *hmmm*

Martin
LOL ;-)

Exactly. If you really don't know what you're talking about then don't contribute!

I moderate a busy computer forum. I know NOTHING about Linux - so if someone posts a question about Linux then I won't even think about answering it! To do so would be terribly foolish of me.

I know a little about Asian spiders, so will attempt to help answer questions about them. I know very little about South American spiders so I hardly ever post in threads with questions about them. If I posted in an "ID my Grammostola" I wouldn't chip in with "Looks like an iheringi to me!" when I have sod-all knowledge on the matter!

@Lopez: How were you able to differentiate between the two pictured?

The coloration of the femur and carapace of each looks slightly different and the leg stripes appear to be a little different. Is this true or is it just from the flash?
Hi Becca. I am not able (at this size) to accurately differentiate between these two spiders. However, I have seen the mother animals and I know where they were collected and so on. I'm confident that, when large enough, an examination will reveal that the first picture is sp. "Vietnam" and the second is sp."longipedum" (FryLock was right ;-))

Yes the colouration is slightly different but that's not really relevant. There is more pronounced striation on the front legs of "longipedum" juveniles, and the Leg IV is already slightly enlarged, although the setae are yet to develop fully. Note that the leg IV also adopts a different posture to the others at rest on "longipedum", something it shares with lividum.

Leon (learned all I know from actually LISTENING to Martin, Soren, Volker and Steve Nunn instead of moaning at them for not giving the answers I wanted to hear, and building on that information with my own experieces)

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Lopez said:
I know a little about Asian spiders, so will attempt to help answer questions about them. I know very little about South American spiders so I hardly ever post in threads with questions about them. If I posted in an "ID my Grammostola" I wouldn't chip in with "Looks like an iheringi to me!" when I have sod-all knowledge on the matter!
Exactly indeed also ppl tend to get an "Artist's eye" for the small points of things they really like but that may not extend to everything in an overall group, i used to be post mad but iv (slowly) learned to curb it as time as gone on and try not add "noise" were i don't think i really have a clue ;P

Lopez said:
I am not able (at this size) to accurately differentiate between these two spiders. However, I have seen the mother animals and I know where they were collected and so on. I'm confident that, when large enough, an examination will reveal that the first picture is sp. "Vietnam" and the second is sp."longipedum" (FryLock was right ;-))

Yes the colouration is slightly different but that's not really relevant. There is more pronounced striation on the front legs of "longipedum" juveniles, and the Leg IV is already slightly enlarged, although the setae are yet to develop fully. Note that the leg IV also adopts a different posture to the others at rest on "longipedum", something it shares with lividum.
That's indeed the only thing I tried to focus on when looking at the two pictures (where colours known to be unreliable best to put it aside) had iv have seen them on there own I would still have thought the 1st picture to have been H.sp "Vietnam" purely on general appearance, but if the second pic of H.sp "longipedum" had been on it's own it would have been more difficult as I don't own any and have not seen many at that age/size, seeing them side by side made things clearer, unless of course a full exam proves them to be something else {D.

Lopez said:
Leon (learned all I know from actually LISTENING to Martin, Soren, Volker and Steve Nunn instead of moaning at them for not giving the answers I wanted to hear, and building on that information with my own experieces)
Yes exactamugo! plus when ever possible following up and looking at things they have talked about also taking the time to follow up links or look for papers they mention and also hunt for others on the net (despite the fact most of them are based on just colour and morphometry), thing is many Q's get raised so many times and ppl still don't seem to remeber the good stuff that many ppl have posted both here and on other fourms in some case it's new ppl and can be excused but not all the time :(.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've had the spider for almost 6 days, but it is clinging to the highest part of the enclosure that it can. The substrate is slightly moist and there is more substrate than empty space.

Why would it be climbing the walls? It comes down for a moment and walks around to another part of the wall, and then climbs again. I know that it is probably still stressed, but what can I do to help it "de-stress?"

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No, I never did and woke up yesterday morning to find it burrowed. :)

It was curteous enough to make the burrow along the side of the tank, but from what I've read, the burrow may be horizontal so I still may not get to see it. But if it's happy, I'm happy. :)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try taping up a piece of construction paper on the outside of the tank along the burrow. If it burrows against the glass, this will sometimes minimize the amount of webbing the spider will put on the glass. Then when you want to see it, you just raise the construction paper and take a look. If you don't do that, it will most likely web heavily on the glass.

Botar

Strang Love

Arachnopeon
Coming in late as usual but it dosn't look longipedum, or at least not like the one in my collection. Mine still has the noticable marking on the abdomen but lacks the colorful hairs. The hairs on mine (positivle ID by todd gearhart) are duller. Also she is darker, still brown, but darker.Of course mine is about 3.5 inchs and female. No white hairs on the face either though not sure if yours did. The photos are 4 pages back :). Anyway, it's beautiful and a very nice rescue taboot! Way to bring it/him/her back ta life. :clap:

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Botar said:
Try taping up a piece of construction paper on the outside of the tank along the burrow. If it burrows against the glass, this will sometimes minimize the amount of webbing the spider will put on the glass. Then when you want to see it, you just raise the construction paper and take a look. If you don't do that, it will most likely web heavily on the glass.

Botar
I ALWAYS make the burrows for my T...then let them decorate :D
But it must be like Botar said....with a covered peephole, I couldn't stand not knowing if it has any problems.