Possible new enclosure set up suggestions.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have read that they are hard to take care of. I've seen some petty big specimens in local pet stores. (8ish inch blondi at one) However they always seem to look sickly, and all dried out...Like they have a bad case of dandruff.
It took me awhile to make the jump as well, but they're really not that difficult to take care of. Apparently blondi's aren't the hardiest species, but stirmi's are quite durable (and cheaper). If you've had a species in need of humidity before, you'll be fine. The only thing that caught me off guard is the aggression - mine is far more aggressive than even my OBT, and she's fast when she wants to be.

As for them looking sickly... yeah, they're just not the prettiest spiders. It doesn't help that they kick hairs pretty much constantly. The ones you're looking at may very well be ill, but don't expect to get a theraphosa with a 'full head of hair', so to speak.

All in all, my T. stirmi is one of my favorite spiders, highly recommended. Just go with a stirmi, not a blondi.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
I think a communal setup would be more interesting and less work than dividing the tank. Picture throwing in a handful of crickets/small roaches and watching the carnage vs watching a single Theraphosa sitting in a fifth of the tank. If you do divide it up, I also vote for individual lids and you may need to create a frame for the top.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Seen it done, successfully too... bpBut the tankwas made/adapted professionally. Personally I'd go communual. M. Balfouri if you're experienced rnough and rich rnough lol.

PMMEYOURTs

Arachnopeon
If you divide it, bring the plexiglass to a "T" at the top and place a double hinge atop it. Then mount a split lid.

Like this:
Untitled.jpg