Potential New Scorpions

Erebus

Arachnosquire
At the end of the week, I may be ordering some scorpions. Hopefully I’ll be getting an Opistophthalmus glabrifrons, Parabuthus liosoma, Hottentotta trilineatus, Hadogenes troglodytes, and two Vaejovis confusus that will hopefully be a sexed pair. The first four would be scorplings, and I was wondering if there was anything special or different that I should do for them?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
H.trilineatus scorplings, IIRC they are much slower growing than other species of the genus, keep things hot and prevent them from drying out too much

Not sure about the others, don't know many people who have raised Opistophthalmus babies, or people who have lived long enough to raise Hadogenes to adulthood (JOKE!! but its like 2-3 years or more i think)

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H.trilineatus scorplings, IIRC they are much slower growing than other species of the genus, keep things hot and prevent them from drying out too much

Not sure about the others, don't know many people who have raised Opistophthalmus babies, or people who have lived long enough to raise Hadogenes to adulthood (JOKE!! but its like 2-3 years or more i think)
I'm raising all three. And yes, all three are very slow growers who need heat. HT need moisture like their cousins HH and HC who will dry out fairly easily at a young age.

Liosoma grow slightly faster but also need heat once they hit about 4-5i in order to molt

Erebus

Arachnosquire
So all three need to be kept hot, I can do that. What about substrate? I'm planning on keeping the Parabuthus and the Hadogenes on sand, and the Hottentotta and the Opistophthalmus on a sand/eco earth mixture.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So all three need to be kept hot, I can do that. What about substrate? I'm planning on keeping the Parabuthus and the Hadogenes on sand, and the Hottentotta and the Opistophthalmus on a sand/eco earth mixture.
Hotter than room temp, 85-90, take note of how they react to the heat and adjust distance accordingly

most of those are semi arid. Mix of sand/coco. Younger scorpions want more coco in their coco/sand, or pure coco.

Hottentotta can do just fine on pure coco. ive had at least near a dozen broods now of HC and HT on pure coco, even as adults. Just allow plenty of ventillation

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Haha, you're not too far off, I think I've had some CB Hadogenes for at least 5 years and they aren't close to being mature. I like Opistophthalmus, never saw a whole lot in the hobby though that were posted, good luck with the collection.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
some 'vaejovis' species (invalid genus now, paravaejovis is the current name) are extremely difficult to breed because of their aggression towards each other.. I tried to mate my two P. waeringi, and apparently, they're very susceptible to their own venom! Poor guy :(

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
some 'vaejovis' species (invalid genus now, paravaejovis is the current name) are extremely difficult to breed because of their aggression towards each other.. I tried to mate my two P. waeringi, and apparently, they're very susceptible to their own venom! Poor guy :(
I am a little confused about the revision of Vaejovis. Are all Vaejovis spp now Paravaejovis?