Praying mantis chewing off his limbs

Lizz

Arachnopeon
So, as the title suggests, I have a pretty significant problem with my sphodromantis viridis. He has gotten into a really bad habit of chewing on his limbs, I have no idea why.
He's disabled from his last molt where he tried to molt too close to the ground and didn't make it out of the molt completely, now he is pretty much paralyzed from the waist down, his arms are still flailing and he can move his head just fine, but I have to hand feed him.
I feed him mealworms because they're easy for him to grab. He has a great appetite even though he gets hand fed, and he gets food every other day.
I don't know exactly when he started this, at first he just started to chew on his arm when he dropped his meal and I quickly stopped him, but lately it has turned into a compulsive behavior.
One of his legs are chewed down to the knee, and one of his arms are pretty much dangling by a thread.
Anyone know what might be causing this behavior?
Is he suffering?

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
I'm not a mantis expert. Far from it. I did keep a few though and I had one who chewed off a limb, but it was injured before she gnawed it. Perhaps, from the bad molt, the limbs are injured and it will be easier to molt if the injury is gone. Kind of like autotomy. Or is it a wild caught specimen? Maybe it's chewing because of stress.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I agree with the above, of chewing it off maybe because it's injured and I don't think praying mantids can drop their legs without the correct stress otherwise... It's either that or.... he may have a neurological issue or a neurologically based parasite going on? Hate to say it. Is he an adult? Otherwise you may be able to convince him to eat easier with some honey and blended bug mix until molt time?

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Hey friend, i had the same problem, with the exact same species and the exact same health condition. I Know its hard, but best thing to do is euthanize her. It took me 2 weeks of her suffering till i take the desicion to do that. 2 weeks of suffering and pain. This is your best option. Otherwise she will die from an infection soon.

Lizz

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the advice.
Unfortunately he tried to molt last night but couldn't.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Sounds like it was his time. Im sorry for your loss, sounds like you cared for him as best you could.

EthanLim

Arachnopeon
So, as the title suggests, I have a pretty significant problem with my sphodromantis viridis. He has gotten into a really bad habit of chewing on his limbs, I have no idea why.
He's disabled from his last molt where he tried to molt too close to the ground and didn't make it out of the molt completely, now he is pretty much paralyzed from the waist down, his arms are still flailing and he can move his head just fine, but I have to hand feed him.
I feed him mealworms because they're easy for him to grab. He has a great appetite even though he gets hand fed, and he gets food every other day.
I don't know exactly when he started this, at first he just started to chew on his arm when he dropped his meal and I quickly stopped him, but lately it has turned into a compulsive behavior.
One of his legs are chewed down to the knee, and one of his arms are pretty much dangling by a thread.
Anyone know what might be causing this behavior?
Is he suffering?
I have a similar problem, but mine is wild caught. It is already an adult but i only just noticed that the hook-like things at the bottom of some his legs were missing and at the bottom of the enclosure, leading me to believe that they either dropped off or he chewed them off. Also, one of its hind legs is turning brown/black. I feed him well (Usually 2 to 3 flies a day, sometimes up to 5 if i catch a lot). This started a few weeks back. Other than that it seems perfectly healthy

pokemonmantis

Arachnopeon
mine ate two front legs in one day, i tried giving him food but it won't help, can anyone help me?. I want to help him. I made it's tank humid, really humid. and i gave him water daily but he won't eat he just loses two front legs in one day. please help me. I am afraid of losing my companion.

pokemonmantis

Arachnopeon
he also can't eat, i gave him like mealworms, fruit flies, won't work. what do i even give him

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Check your enclosures. Or post pics. Some species require a certain texture at a certain degree to be able to molt well. Over here in my country, people often use cloth type strips to drop down one side of the enclosures wall to aid them being able to hang on and molt. Personally I feel adding a high perch that certain insects can hang from is also beneficial. This seems more like a husbandry issue rather than an unfortunate event. Probably preventable with more appropriate housing.

Even the thread is old, worth discussing.

pokemonmantis

Arachnopeon
so I managed to give him some mosquitos, he ate it. but he passed away sadly, it's maybe molting problems, he molted a few days ago, then this happened. his little brother, safe to say I got it a lamp and it isn't eating any other limbs now, ty for the info!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
mine ate two front legs in one day, i tried giving him food but it won't help, can anyone help me?. I want to help him. I made it's tank humid, really humid. and i gave him water daily but he won't eat he just loses two front legs in one day. please help me. I am afraid of losing my companion.
Most species don't live in swamps.