Predators

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While looking for info on honeypot ants (no luck :( ), I stumbled on the latin for the dinosaur ants- Dinoponera longipes.

The bugs I mentioned earlier were not ambush bugs (family Phymatidae), but stink bugs (family Pentatomidae). Most stink bugs feed on plant fluids, but a few are predatory. I'll let you know when I get them again!

Wade

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for trying to help Wade. :) I appreciate it! My main thing is I don't know how to set the ants up. Aside from that they are pretty straight forward humidity is probably low since they are a desert species, and you feed them fruit/bugs. That is awesome, I didn't know there were any carnivorous stinkbugs!

Darkant

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow, these dinosaure ants are reallly HUGE, eating frogs, mice they are as big as a grasshopper =D

i would LOVE to get them....:}

nope info about honey put ants didn't work out here either, do you have the latin name?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
wow, these dinosaure ants are reallly HUGE, eating frogs, mice they are as big as a grasshopper
if you find any european dealer who sells them,.. keep me informed,... they are truely intresting :}

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
at a show in london not long ago there was a dealer selling a colony of honey pot ants :)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Honeypot ants are the genus Myrmecocystus.

Wade

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, they are Myrmecocystus. I''m sure they are about the same as any other desert ants in care. I just don't know where to begin. They are very cool ants, there is a group of specialized workers who hang from chamber ceilings and act as food dispensers. Their abdomens swell and act as a jar to hold honey. They eat nectars, fruits, pollen, etc. During the seasons where there is little food, the entire colony relies on the "jar" ants. And people eat them too. Supposedly can buy them in stores in the west as candy. They are supposed to taste really good.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ha! I first learned about them in that very same article! Only it was on paper when I read it. The online version is better because it has pictures! :D

Wade

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool. Hey,I was wondering, what species of ants are the ones that live with millipedes? That would be cool in captivity.

Darkant

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ants living together with MILIPEDE!! :?
never heard of that, i did hear of ants living together with woodlice, and that where L. niger.......
but i think it depends on the kind of woodlice you take

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Taken from:
http://herper.com/myriapods/strange.html

Army Recruits

Hopkin and Read mention that several species of polydesmid millipedes travel and live with army ants in South America. They live in the ant nests and scavenge food they come across, helping to clean out organic debris and mold in the ant nest. When the ants move to a new location, the millipedes travel in the center of the ant column, or are even carried by worker ants.

* Hopkin, S.P., and H.J. Read. 1992. The Biology of Millipedes. New York: Oxford University Press.
There are some cool millipedes on that page.

Bug collecter

Arachnopeon
Sorry to go a bit off topic but i saw a wildlife documentary and it had ants that made a raft out of themselves to transport their young and themselves across water to other parts of the jungle. Can anyone tell me this species please? thanks.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bug collecter
Sorry to go a bit off topic but i saw a wildlife documentary and it had ants that made a raft out of themselves to transport their young and themselves across water to other parts of the jungle. Can anyone tell me this species please? thanks.
Most likley these were army ants. They're nomadic and also build shelter for the queen and larvae from their bodies as well.

Wade

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Longbord1
hey where are Dinoponera longipes found?
Although I said CA before, it's actually Peru, which would make them SA.

Wade

Darkant

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
Most likley these were army ants. They're nomadic and also build shelter for the queen and larvae from their bodies as well.

Wade
Yeah your right, it must have been the army ants, They can march all day long......just like the orks in Lord of the Rings =D