Pterinochilus lugardi question?

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm definitely considering getting one as my next T, my question is if giving the right conditions and substrate depth, does this sp. create a burrow and trapdoor like I. Mira?

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Hello Jarvis. Unfortunately, as far as I know, P lugardi won't behave like a trapdoor spider, even with enough substrate. But a good hide and substrate will allow her to retreat and maybe not be too defensive when you open the enclosure.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

gobey

Arachnoknight
Bump for info. As I think whenever my obt passes this will be her replacement.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's extremely rare for tarantulas to make trap doors. Mira is one of the very few. Pterinochilus will dig/spin retreats. Like other east and south Africans, they need dry substrate & cross ventilation.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know there are a few sp of Ts that make trapdoors on there burrows like I.mira, the reason why I ask is because I keep seeing videos of p. Lugardi making them, and it got me to think are the ones in the videos exceptions or would they all do this if giving the right conditions?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I know there are a few sp of Ts that make trapdoors on there burrows like I.mira, the reason why I ask is because I keep seeing videos of p. Lugardi making them, and it got me to think are the ones in the videos exceptions or would they all do this if giving the right conditions?
As previously stated, the use of trapdoors by tarantulas is extremely rare. I've had a number of baboon spiders for decades and the only one to ever make a trapdoor is mira. I wouldn't hold your breath with your lugardi. Trapdoors aren't particularly desirable to most tarantula owners, as you have a cage full of dirt and no spider to be seen. Don't understand your obsession with it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm definitely considering getting one as my next T, my question is if giving the right conditions and substrate depth, does this sp. create a burrow and trapdoor like I. Mira?
Let me say first that every Baboon T's (except for the arboreals) needs lots of substrate, OBT included. With a cork bark for hide, and the right inches of substrate, you will avoid 9 out of 10 that annoying (and, imo, risky, especially when you have to refill or clean the water dish) "heavy web only" enclosure, because the T sooner or later will start to burrow.
But unlike trapdoors, they love to enjoy a walk outside. Pterinochilus lugardi as well.. just that he isn't a bite in your face like Pterinochilus murinus.. a bit calmer.
9 inches of dry substrate would be fine for a Pterinochilus lugardi. 14/15 for Pelinobius muticus, Hysterocrates gigas.
As for a similar to Trapdoors burrow i doubt. Baboon T's just "use" their burrows.. it's their home, safe haven, protection. Trapdoors, on the other hand, are in symbiosis with the burrow and never come out.

---------- Post added 07-13-2015 at 07:31 PM ----------

As previously stated, the use of trapdoors by tarantulas is extremely rare. I've had a number of baboon spiders for decades and the only one to ever make a trapdoor is mira. I wouldn't hold your breath with your lugardi. Trapdoors aren't particularly desirable to most tarantula owners, as you have a cage full of dirt and no spider to be seen. Don't understand your obsession with it.
There's some species that are, per se, even beauty or interesting, like Cyclocosmia ricketti, or Gorgyrella sp. but too bad they are annoying trapdoors.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone, I'm fully up to date on how to take care of this sp. and understand that it is not a trapdoor nor will it exhibit the same type of behavior, I am also aware that most T owners stay away from obligated burrowers because they are pet holes, I have several Ts and kept several Ts in the past. I think I should clarify my question, will P. Lugardi create a door to its burrow?, I've seen them create doors on videos online, and was wondering if those were exceptions or the norm?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks everyone, I'm fully up to date on how to take care of this sp. and understand that it is not a trapdoor nor will it exhibit the same type of behavior, I am also aware that most T owners stay away from obligated burrowers because they are pet holes, I have several Ts and kept several Ts in the past. I think I should clarify my question, will P. Lugardi create a door to its burrow?, I've seen them create doors on videos online, and was wondering if those were exceptions or the norm?
That's true, but not me :) I love obligate burrowers, especially African Baboons. And i'm lucky enough to watch them (Pelinobius muticus, Hysterocrates gigas two of the most reclusive) often, i started a hole under the cork bark for them. Hysterocrates, especially, is always out at night, waiting for prey, near the burrow entrance.

As for your question about Pterinochilus lugardi, i think this depends about the set up someone gave them. I always give my T's a cork bark, especially those "arc" shaped, you know.. so my Baboons always used those for start a burrow under. I think Jarvis that's the point for me. A lot of owners, to T's like P.muticus, or Hysterocrates gigas.. gave them only substrate; "after all, they are obligate burrowers" .. "they stay always under" .. "why a cork bark" ? etc
This maybe is the reason for those doors.

I think are exceptions, however. From what i know Pterinochilus lugardi is a "more burrower" OBT.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's true, but not me :) I love obligate burrowers, especially African Baboons. And i'm lucky enough to watch them (Pelinobius muticus, Hysterocrates gigas two of the most reclusive) often, i started a hole under the cork bark for them. Hysterocrates, especially, is always out at night, waiting for prey, near the burrow entrance.

As for your question about Pterinochilus lugardi, i think this depends about the set up someone gave them. I always give my T's a cork bark, especially those "arc" shaped, you know.. so my Baboons always used those for start a burrow under. I think Jarvis that's the point for me. A lot of owners, to T's like P.muticus, or Hysterocrates gigas.. gave them only substrate; "after all, they are obligate burrowers" .. "they stay always under" .. "why a cork bark" ? etc
This maybe is the reason for those doors.

I think are exceptions, however. From what i know Pterinochilus lugardi is a "more burrower" OBT.
Thanks that's more informative, I used to hate so called pet holes when I first got into the hobby, but have a better appreciation of them, I suppose it began once I got more into scorpions and other arachnids. I guess I'll just have to get one and see what happens.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Thanks that's more informative, I used to hate so called pet holes when I first got into the hobby, but have a better appreciation of them, I suppose it began once I got more into scorpions and other arachnids. I guess I'll just have to get one and see what happens.
I like watching some of my Ts make Burrows and tunnels and hides now.

Especially my Ceratogyrus. They make awesome constructs. And they come out for walks.

My OBT however is rarely seen. And she barricades herself in her hide and dug underneath it pretty deep.

I do want a P. muticus though.

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
+1 to what Chris said.

P muticus are fantastic, seldom seen, but when they show, it's all the more stunning that we don't see them often. If you don't overfeed them, they'll stand at the entrance of their burrow at night. Quite a sight...!

Hello everybody. I found out the video Jarvis have probably been thinking of:

[video]youtube.com/watch?v=OR_sybT8lrw[/video]

That's true: in this video, P lugardi have made a trapdoor in the wild. If anyone have seen such a behavior in captivity, it would be very interesting to share it here.

Jarvis, have you tried a setup in this goal?

Last edited by a moderator:

NTslinger

Arachnopeon
I saw that video as well, which sort of sparked my interest in the species, although not for their trapdoor-making abilities.
I now have 3 P. lugardi. Mine are still at 1.5'' DLS, but I've given them 6 inches of dry coco coir substrate and a chunk of cork. I have not seen any sort of trap door, but they have created a beautifully intricate system of burrows and have created dense tube-like webs behind the cork, which I'll personally take over some trapdoor any day. That's just my preference anyway. What I have noticed with one of mine is that it will seal itself in its burrow but will occasionally break through the seals to retrieve roaches.
In the comments section below the video, they suggest mimicking the environment seen in the video. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure were you would have to start. Would you have to provide a different substrate, more/less hides, or...?
I think all in all, it could be fun to sort of experiment by getting a few of these baboons and trying different things with them, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for this species to make trapdoors. However, if you do manage to get them to make trapdoors, I'm sure there would be plenty of keepers who would be interested in knowing what you did.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have seen numerous lugardi given deep vertical premade burrows web the inside and make a trapdoor like debris and web cover.. Its up to the T though...

For example I have a wolf spider that covers its burrow every night with dirt another that stuffs its entrance with a leaf and a few that leave it open.

I have had an E.murinus that constructed a very nice burrow with a lid constructed of coco and moss..

You can set the enclosure up like you would a haplo or trapdoor spider ( except for wetting the sub)to better your odds of it constructing a lid and it may make a door or it may just web the entrance..

Its up to the T not you...

Dan Sharp

Arachnopeon
Hello Jarvis. Unfortunately, as far as I know, P lugardi won't behave like a trapdoor spider, even with enough substrate. But a good hide and substrate will allow her to retreat and maybe not be too defensive when you open the enclosure.

I have a sling that has made a nice tunnel web with a trap door to ome side of the encloser

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's extremely rare for tarantulas to make trap doors. Mira is one of the very few. Pterinochilus will dig/spin retreats. Like other east and south Africans, they need dry substrate & cross ventilation.
Actually P lugardi is trapdoor spiders in the wild, but they dont do it often in captivety

gottarantulas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have kept and bred P.lugardi. A great species to have in your collection, largely a pet but individuals do vary personalitywise. Nope, they don't build trap doors.

tylrp

Arachnopeon
Don't understand your obsession? Sir comments like this is why I hate this platform.