Pulcher stridulating

Div129

Arachnopeon
I am wondering which tarantulas are known to stridulate. I accidentally made my P.pulcher stridulate when I was trying to take a picture of it from the side of the enclosure. I scared it as I unknowingly had my flash on, s/he started darting around the enclosure making a hissing noise while rubbing her fangs together. Unfortunately I was not able to catch a video of it but was wondering if anyone has had their psalmos hiss.
IMG_1394.jpeg

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
I am wondering which tarantulas are known to stridulate. I accidentally made my P.pulcher stridulate when I was trying to take a picture of it from the side of the enclosure. I scared it as I unknowingly had my flash on, s/he started darting around the enclosure making a hissing noise while rubbing her fangs together. Unfortunately I was not able to catch a video of it but was wondering if anyone has had their psalmos hiss.
View attachment 471043
Never heard of any Psalmo stridulating

Div129

Arachnopeon
I was unaware they could…
Never heard of any Psalmo stridulating
It caught be off guard too. I tried finding info on it and only found evidence of the organ being present but nobody had experienced it.

The “hissing” noise was loud too considering the pulcher’s size. Sounded like air and something scratching. I realized it was coming from the T as the sound followed the darting T, fang was rubbing against each other. Here are the two pics i took of it and i think i caught a bit of the fang movement. IMG_1395.jpeg
IMG_1394.jpeg

Div129

Arachnopeon
Weird!
Has it hissed or anything since?
Not really, my pulcher is generally pretty calm for a psalmo and doesn’t get startled much. The time it hissed was because I came home from a 5 day trip where it was in a room that was pretty dim and I accidentally hit it with my camera flash. First time I ever saw her freak out in any way.

Div129

Arachnopeon
It’s in premolt right now unfortunately. Once it molted hopefully I can get a video, don’t want to stress it too much though. If I do, will be posting here as it can really add information on the sp.

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
It’s in premolt right now unfortunately. Once it molted hopefully I can get a video, don’t want to stress it too much though. If I do, will be posting here as it can really add information on the sp.
No pressure, we don't want a stressed T!!

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
my pulcher is generally pretty calm for a psalmo.
The time it hissed was because I came home from a 5 day trip.
Maybe, It was excited to see you again,
Just saying... Hello.
lol

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 471043
I’ve had a fireleg and obt do it but not a psalmos.