Question about spinning behavior

Popkorn118

Arachnopeon
Hello, I noticed that when my Ts grab their prey, they immediately start placing their spinneretts down behind them in different spots. Does anyone know why they do this?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Spinning web in a circle- we have ideas on this, but no scientific proof

Popkorn118

Arachnopeon
Spinning web in a circle- we have ideas on this, but no scientific proof
Interesting, I thought it might be one of those mystery behaviors. My idea was that they're instinctively "fixing up" any web that was damaged during the catch. But I couldn't think of anything else

caddude

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
Interesting, I thought it might be one of those mystery behaviors. My idea was that they're instinctively "fixing up" any web that was damaged during the catch. But I couldn't think of anything else
I have seen the same response from my T's. I agree that they are repairing the web (not a scientific answer, but my opinion).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A lot of posts on the forum about this

cold blood

Staff member
this is how they turn their prey into a bolus.....they web to keep everything together while eating as well as protecting it from scavengers like ants

Popkorn118

Arachnopeon
this is how they turn their prey into a bolus.....they web to keep everything together while eating as well as protecting it from scavengers like ants
Interesting. But I just see them webbing behind themselves on the soil, while they hold the cricket between their fangs

SolifugidSultanate

Arachnopeon
I am no expert but I suspect they do it to mark where they caught prey previously, so if its a spot outside their burrow that prey frequents they will be alerted by the webs. I've seen all my Tarantulas (but one, whom I dont watch feed) do this, including mature males. Though I do not disbelieve the idea that it is a tendency to repair webs as some people say, I have seen Tarantulas of mine who didn't web at all previously perform webbing after catching prey.

Popkorn118

Arachnopeon
I am no expert but I suspect they do it to mark where they caught prey previously, so if its a spot outside their burrow that prey frequents they will be alerted by the webs. I've seen all my Tarantulas (but one, whom I dont watch feed) do this, including mature males. Though I do not disbelieve the idea that it is a tendency to repair webs as some people say, I have seen Tarantulas of mine who didn't web at all previously perform webbing after catching prey.
Hm that actually makes a lot of sense to me! Since they don't really hunt around, they need to be extra perceptive in spots where prey might tend to pass by