Questions from an new Avicularia Avicularia Owner

AlmightyFaust

Arachnopeon
Hey, I'm new to the hobby. I've had my T for about two months now, but I have a several of questions based off my current experience. I'm sorry if this is a lot. Feel free to answer any of these.
  • Roughly where is my T in its life cycle? I figured its definitely not a sling nor an adult.
  • Is it overfed? I feed it a large cricket once per week, but for almost two weeks now, it seems uninterested every time. My T has only responded once to tong feeding. All other instances of feeding occurred after I leave the prey in the enclosure for a day.
  • Is there such thing as a T that is a "picky" eater despite being an opportunistic hunter in nature? I've been trying to switch to other feeders because I find crickets annoying in several ways. Currently, I have superworms. However, I know that superworms burrow and I'm afraid that my T might not be able to find it.
  • Should I be concerned about the poop on the wall? I'm well aware that the pooping is a defense mechanism, but I've never triggered that response myself. All the stains in the enclosure would just appear randomly when I check on it.
  • How do I know if a molt is imminent? Two months feels like quite some time. I haven't seen any unusual behavior aside from not eating.
  • Is this enclosure appropriate? I know that arboreals need tall enclosures, but this one is much taller than I expected.
  • Lastly, does anyone have any recommended beginner species? I think I would like to own a terrestrial species in the future, preferably low maintenance given my personal life. My T was purchased from a Petsmart before it was given to me. I know Petsmart and those type of pet stores are frowned upon in the hobby. If anyone has any recommended websites where I can purchase a T, let me know. My immediate area seems to be lacking in local reptile stores.
Anyways, thanks!
IMG_2417.JPG IMG_2416.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Here's a great place to start:

I would call that a juvenile

"It will eat when it's hungry, likely not before. Until then, wait!" @Smotzer

I don't tong feed. Drop in the cricket and watch the hunt.

One of my Avics sprays poop like she's painting a mural, the other generally sticks to one area.

Mine make a molt mat/canopy and refuse food. I even had one of mine run down a web tunnel and slap a cricket in premolt.

Don't go to PetSmart, but there are forums here with reviews on online shops, etc.

Cute Avic. Welcome!

Last edited:

caedus511

Arachnopeon
Hello! A. Avicularia was my first T too :)

This looks like a sub-adult from the sizing alone. Possibly a mature adult after it's next molt or two.

Is it overfed? I mean, it'll eat when it's hungry and it won't eat when it isn't. This is looking very plumb for an arboreal species so I'd say it's definitely well fed and wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't eating currently based on the size of the abdomen. Best thing you can do is feed it once per week and remove the feeder after 24 hours if it hasn't been eaten. Then try again a week later. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Can a T be a picky eater? Maybe? Depends on the T. I'm sure some out there are, I've come across dogs that are picky eaters and I've seen others eat crap so you can't really make a blanket statement. If your T is hungry enough it'll eat. I've had success feeding my Avic crickets and mealworms. He ate a hornworm once and ever since then he won't touch them so take that for what you will.

Poop on the wall...I don't know if it's much of a concern as much as it's just unsightly. I clean my Avic's based on how dirty it is. When he was younger he ate more and pooped more, so I cleaned more often. Currently he just finished a 4 month hunger strike and I haven't cleaned his enclosure since December.

How to predict a molt? Pretty much what you said, they stop eating. For an Avic they will typically create a web hammock and close themselves off from everything anywhere from 2 weeks up to the day before they molt. If your T isn't eating just keep trying to feed it once per week and remove the feeders it doesn't eat. If you see it webbed up in a corner with no way out of the webbing don't open the enclosure until the T molts. Two months between molts would be normal for a baby sling, at this age you're probably closer to 4-6 months between molts so you may still have some time to go. With your Avic's abdomen being the size it's at it could be in premolt or it may just not be eating because it doesn't need to.

You're enclosure is pretty big for the size of the T right now. This will be a fine enclosure for it to live in as a fully matured adult. You don't need to put it in something smaller but the T may be more comfortable and have an easier time finding prey in an enclosure that's smaller. General rule of thumb for an arboreal is the height should be about 3 times the DLS. You have a 2 inch DLS so an enclosure that's maybe 6 to 8 inches tall would work but it may not be ideal for long depending on when the next molt will be.

There are a lot of great articles and youtube videos that suggest good beginner species. Grammostola Pulchra is a easy to find and relatively inexpensive terrestrial that are great for beginners. Anything from the Grammostala genus is pretty easy to raise but they are slow growers. Best to do some research and pick out the next T that's right for you though, everyone has different tastes. After my Avic I picked up (in this order) -> Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue), Caribena Versicolor, Psalmopoeus Irminia (Venezuelan Sun Tiger), and a Grammostola Pulcrhipes (Chaco Golden Knee). The Venezuelan Sun Tiger is definitely not a beginner species.

cold blood

Staff member
Roughly where is my T in its life cycle? I
juvie
Is it overfed?
You simply cannot over feed a growing spider...so, no.
Is there such thing as a T that is a "picky" eater despite being an opportunistic hunter in nature?
yes

Should I be concerned about the poop on the wall? I
no

How do I know if a molt is imminent?
Avics will stop eating, and generally web themselves inside a web tube....they do their most significant webbing during this time period.
Is this enclosure appropriate?
yes
does anyone have any recommended beginner species?
T. albopilosus and G. pulchripes are really great ones....but really, there are probably a hundred that could be recommended.

Most new world terrestrials would apply, recommending the best for you without knowing your level of interest and enthusiasm or what you want out of a t would be impossible.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What everyone else said, but also I noticed mine start having "slippery feet" where they more easily have one or more feet slide or fall off the wall when they climb the smooth sides of their enclosure. But mostly, they web the door shut at the end of their tunnel.

My second T was a Caribena versicolor -- super cute as slings, fantastic color changes, same care as an Avic so not much additional learning curve. After that, I waited six months to get any more. My first terrestrial is a G. pulchra.

Adorable little Avic you got there! 🥰 Good luck.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Roughly where is my T in its life cycle?
It’s a small juvenile for sure
Is it overfed? I feed it a large cricket once per week, but for almost two weeks now, it seems uninterested every time.
It is rather plump for an Avicularia, so you may need to be a little less rigid with feeding every week on a tight schedule moving forward. But nothings concerning. Just learning how to feed based off abdomen plumpness.
s there such thing as a T that is a "picky" eater despite being an opportunistic hunter in nature?
I have never had one that’s ever been picky
Should I be concerned about the poop on the wall?
Nope Aviculariinae sometimes are poop cannons and make a mess of the walls!
Like you noticed before refusing food is a sign that it has secured enough resources for ecdysis or the molting process and it will molt when it’s ready to, likely not before that. Until then wait!
Is this enclosure appropriate?
Yes it’s in an arboreal enclosure that’s taller than longer and has some plant cover but I can comment more on the design later!
Lastly, does anyone have any recommended beginner species?
Lots of things make great beginners and there’s nothing that will say be high maintenance really, but probably not moisture dependent if you are worried about your time management. Tliltocatl albopilosus is one the all time favorite beginners, you also have fan favorites like Brachypelma, Grammostola, or even some Aphonopelma. Really it depends on what you like and are looking for in a tarantula, always get what YOU want!

AlmightyFaust

Arachnopeon
Wow, thank you everyone for your replies! It's really to see how awesome this community is.

Update since I first posted this: I stated that I was interested in a terrestrial species in the future and it turns out the future is now! After research into all of your recommendations during this past weekend, I'm excited to say that I have purchased my first terrestrial! I was stuck between the Brazilian Black and a Curly Hair, but ultimately went with the curly hair! I bought it from an East Coast based vendor online (recommended by some users in this forum too) and should be expecting it to come in within the next few days. I can't wait :singing:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Use crickets
No on poop

strongly suggest you read more as some of your questions are basic thus answered here millions of time, and you will learn more than you expect by searching

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
How do I know if a molt is imminent: abdomanal plumping, also refusal of food

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Nope Aviculariinae sometimes are poop cannons and make a mess of the walls!
Funny, my little lady was traveling down her wall towards the ground last night, as she often does when she's looking for food. I told her, "I just fed you a few days ago!" I then see her lift her butt up in the air and cannon the base of her "tree". I swear, a new spot every time.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Pooping on glass is common for arboreal and terrestrial species. Scraper and paper towel w/ warm water.
Your T is a juvenile, your set up is good. Just enjoy
Everything else has been answered