Reason for buying a tarantula?

katluc

Arachnopeon
I've been working on arachnophobia for a few years now and was exposing myself to videos on you tube. I got addicted to Jon3800's channel and grew to love everything about Ts. Six months ago I purchased a B.vagans sling with some very unsubtle encouragement from my 5 year old daughter. She called it fluffy and dotes on it as much as I do.

Tarantula24

Arachnopeon
I have always loved spiders and tried to convince my parents for years to let me get one. They always said no but finallly gave in about two years ago and let me get my first T, my G rosea.:biggrin:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
It feels better to hear others worked through or are currently working through arachnophobia as i am. It helps seeing the posts
of curiosity for tarantulas or arachnids in general.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
It feels better to hear others worked through or are currently working through arachnophobia as i am. It helps seeing the posts
of curiosity for tarantulas or arachnids in general.
You all deserve a huge amount of credit for being proactive about your phobias. That's why I like volunteering at the expos. I usually set up the 8 inch molt of my LP, which tends to bring the timid in for a closer look, to see if that humungous spider is actually alive (I joke to them that it's the guard spider. LOL) I'll explain to them about the features of the molt, using my right hand, while holding a T in my left, out of sight (Last time it was a 5" B. albopilosum) Once they become aware of the live T, a few will back away, but most will swallow their fear and let the T walk across their hand. Watching their hesitation turn to wonder in the blink of an eye is truly something to behold. :)

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I guess I could've had 15 different species, but let's say I got 10 males that all stayed smaller and died quicker. Or I only got mean specimens. So that's my reasoning. I want quality in my quantity :)
Males are a lack of "quality"? No...

Tivia

Arachnopeon
I was never scared of spiders, but the 'bigger ones' (think, wolf spider) did kind of give me the heebie geebies. My ex bf would freak out big time and come running to me to remove any spider (or bug for that matter) that was in the house. Of course, he would also come running to me to go check out any strange/scary noise in the house too, but I digress... One day I saw a pic on FB of a guy sleeping with a big spider on his pillow next to him and instead of getting creeped out, I thought to myself, "That poor spider would be just as scared if the guy woke up and rolled over as the guy would be". I did some image searches for spiders and I saw my first B smithi; I was smitten. I thought it was the most beautiful spider. I joined here to do some research on them and their care and I set out to get one. Three T's later and I still don't have my B smithi, but one day I will!

gobey

Arachnoknight
Males are a lack of "quality"? No...
They are less sought after in this hobby no? Quality may have been poor word choice. But if you took that example, and factored in price let's say, and all those 10 Ts turned out to be male. I bet you'd be slightly annoyed.

I've since decided eh screw it males need love too. And my males that will mature out quicker will give me reasons to explore new species as supposed to having the same 15 Ts for 15 ~ 20 years.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are less sought after in this hobby no? Quality may have been poor word choice. But if you took that example, and factored in price let's say, and all those 10 Ts turned out to be male. I bet you'd be slightly annoyed.
Less sought after? How do you think you were able to get those slings in the first place? It requires a male for breeding. If you don't want a particular male, you can trade him to someone who needs him for another species of spider you want.

Besides...you'll likely either get bored in a year or so and quit the hobby, or you'll be trading/buying/selling more than just those 15 tarantulas if you stick with it...all within the lifespan of a male. :wink:

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
I always wanted Ts but the general myths and my mothers phobia of them prevented me from ever having a T. Until a work colleague and I got to talking and the next day he brought me my first Brachypelma albopilosum...
Had it for about two weeks, was a tiny little sling when I got him, until I saw a Psalmopoeus irminia in a chain pet sore that had a molt in the enclosure and the enclosure's lid was taped shut.. I went on holiday for two weeks.... Came back and saw it exactly in the same condition and bought it immediately.. Thinking oh how different can keeping this T be?! Quick google search leads to me an extensive google search realising what I had got myself into...

None the less I now have 12 beautiful Ts and only one male so far(4 slings and too early to tell) and I just want more... I havn't been bit by anything except this hobby! I have been in the hobby for about 8 months and I would have a lot more but am limited by the space in my apartment.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Less sought after? How do you think you were able to get those slings in the first place? It requires a male for breeding. If you don't want a particular male, you can trade him to someone who needs him for another species of spider you want.

Besides...you'll likely either get bored in a year or so and quit the hobby, or you'll be trading/buying/selling more than just those 15 tarantulas if you stick with it...all within the lifespan of a male. :wink:
Bored? No way I don't think so. I've wanted one for years. And sure enough upon getting one I was introduced to a new world of learning. I was excited that some of mine will live so long.

I'm perhaps not phrasing this all right? Why are females so much more expensive than males then? Don't people who mostly just want a collection of showcase animals look for a long lived female more often?

Anyways I don't care about raising males. In fact I look forward to raising some as when they mature I can send them out and have room for a NEW species! I just got a MM Paraphysa parvula and sent him out to breed. And I want him back too as he's a great little T and gorgeous too. It's to bad he's not long for this world. But I plan to enjoy him while he's around. And raise a few of his offspring.

And yes I'll also probably trade some at some point. Do I need 4 B. albopilosums?

Why would I quit? It's not like they're demanding. As for going more than I have now.... I think I may TRY to cut down closer to 10 or 12 of my favorites one day when the slings grow. But I love these animals and I love that this hobby is so much more than what I imagined. Not just buying a "pet tarantula" once at a store. In fact I admire those with the restraint to do just that.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm perhaps not phrasing this all right? Why are females so much more expensive than males then? Don't people who mostly just want a collection of showcase animals look for a long lived female more often?
Life expectancy, and sometimes coloration. Showcase animals? Tarantulas are usually far from it, save for a few NW terrestrials that consistently stay out in the open.

Anyways I don't care about raising males. In fact I look forward to raising some as when they mature I can send them out and have room for a NEW species! I just got a MM Paraphysa parvula and sent him out to breed. And I want him back too as he's a great little T and gorgeous too. It's to bad he's not long for this world. But I plan to enjoy him while he's around. And raise a few of his offspring.
That is being more involved in the hobby beyond just having a small collection of females. Keep in mind that in the future though, you may not always get a male back during a breeding loan. Sometimes the female will kill him. But you just proved why males are valuable to the hobby; more CB offspring for keepers to enjoy, while helping to bring down prices by increasing availability.

And yes I'll also probably trade some at some point. Do I need 4 B. albopilosums?

Why would I quit? It's not like they're demanding. As for going more than I have now.... I think I may TRY to cut down closer to 10 or 12 of my favorites one day when the slings grow. But I love these animals and I love that this hobby is so much more than what I imagined. Not just buying a "pet tarantula" once at a store. In fact I admire those with the restraint to do just that.
People's interests change over time. Others have come into the hobby all gung ho like you, before you...and others will come after, of course. Some stay, some go. That's the nature of hobbies. Nothing wrong with that, just how things go sometimes. But good luck on your arachnid adventure either way.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Life expectancy, and sometimes coloration. Showcase animals? Tarantulas are usually far from it, save for a few NW terrestrials that consistently stay out in the open.

That is being more involved in the hobby beyond just having a small collection of females. Keep in mind that in the future though, you may not always get a male back during a breeding loan. Sometimes the female will kill him. But you just proved why males are valuable to the hobby; more CB offspring for keepers to enjoy, while helping to bring down prices by increasing availability.

People's interests change over time. Others have come into the hobby all gung ho like you, before you...and others will come after, of course. Some stay, some go. That's the nature of hobbies. Nothing wrong with that, just how things go sometimes. But good luck on your arachnid adventure either way.

Idk in my mind a tarantula can totally be a showcase animal. Depending f course on your species and how it behaves. But to me that's alluring no matter what you have. Like "come see the tarantula!" "What! Wow ok!" Or "Omg really you have a tarantula!"

Why can't having a tarantula collection also be for display? Like people with fish tanks. That's how I always kind of saw it. And it's why I chose the species I did. Ones that are more apt to be in the open, or were at least beautifully colored if they were more apt to hide. Some I have are supposed to be pretty and out on display!

But anyways saying life expectancy of females and coloration (sometimes) also says right there they're more valuable. Just from a collection standpoint it seems.

Again SEEMS. Idk I just feel like somehow my initial post was misinterpreted as well. I'm in this as just a collector I've pretty much decided. I just want at the end of the day my assortment of my favorite looking and behaving tarantulas. Male or female so be it. I bought most of my Ts unsexed or slings anyways.

Anyways this is starting to seem like an argument which isn't what I'm shooting for. I like peaceful coexistence and the positive atmosphere this board has.

So either way this was an interesting discussion. And thanks for wishing me luck in my arachnid adventure. And I WILL see you around these parts for years to come :p

P.s.
Yeah I'm aware the dangers of lending out my MM. I may not see him back. But I trust his supervision, and even if he got eaten. It's to support his babies. Which I'll raise a couple of to enjoy! :)

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I didn't buy my first T,it came as part of a large herp rescue I did.It was a P.regalis,and none of the other rescuers wanted her.They were going to put her in the freezer,and I couldn't have that.She was an adult,and I had her for about 5 years before she died.Looking back on it,it is amazing nothing bad ever happened with her,no bites or escapes.Not recommended as a first T,I'm sure,but what was I gonna do?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got in to a fight with one of my 9th grade Spanish teachers about them. After I proved her wrong, I went out and bought one because I thought they were cool from all the research I did on them.
a significant amount of tarantulas, scorpions, walking sticks, and other arachnids later, I am suddenly realizing that maybe this argument went too far. oh well, I'm too deep to back out now hahaha:sarcasm:

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For me, it seemed a logical step once I took it. I'd been a reptile lover and into arboreal species of snakes. GTPs and ETBs were my main focus. But, I LOVED interacting with the jumping spiders I'd find outside. While at the LPS one day, the manager of the store was freehandling this big, black furry thing with pink tennis shoes. I was all..."what. is. THAT?" I was able to hold it and look it over and fell in love. I instantly purchased three off the bat. A rosehair (for the sake of originality..also named Charlotte), an OBT and that pinktoe. :)

Jumping spiders, plain and simple. I found them incredibly cute but wanted something bigger and longer lived. Actually to be very correct I wanted a tarantula with the coloration of P.audax...alas.
Awesome to see other jumber lovers out there. :)

Akai

Arachnobaron
I got into T's to control my roach population colonies. :tongue::wink: