REDBACK IN THE US?

CandyCane

Arachnopeon
I recently have tried overcoming my fear of spiders by catching and releasing rather than killing. I've had a few spiders in a jar I've been researching and don't worry, they're being fed. However, I caught one and the only thing I can find it closely resembles is a redback. It's not a black widow, so I'm confused.

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Hello! It's great to hear that you're doing catch and release to help get over your fear. 🙂

By "redback," do you mean Latrodectus hasselti? Scientific names are always helpful!
That species is quite venomous, but is not native to the US. Therefore, I do not think your specimen is one.

Do you think you could attach a photo?

CandyCane

Arachnopeon
Hello! It's great to hear that you're doing catch and release to help get over your fear. 🙂

By "redback," do you mean Latrodectus hasselti? Scientific names are always helpful!
That species is quite venomous, but is not native to the US. Therefore, I do not think your specimen is one.

Do you think you could attach a photo?
Yes that is what I mean, sorry. I'm still learning. I did catch a photo, it's not the best because it's through the jar but here it is!

Attachments

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Yes that is what I mean, sorry. I'm still learning. I did catch a photo, it's not the best because it's through the jar but here it is!
It's alright, don't worry! That definitely looks like some kind of widow to me (Latrodectus sp.). Looks pretty thin for a specimen too.
I don't think it's a redback given the range; there are plenty of widows in Arkansas that look like that. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in!

CandyCane

Arachnopeon
Most likely Latrodectus variolus imo
I do think you are right; I just did my best to look at its abdomen and there does appear to be something of a red spot on it. Obviously, an hourglass more than likely but wow, thank you.

Godsmack1934

Arachnosquire
Based on that picture it looks like either a young southern black widow or a northern black widow.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Latrodectus mactans - southern black widow.

An underfed and/or dehydrated one at that.