Regarding T's escaping...

ColinBaker

Arachnopeon
Now I'm paranoid. I just got my first baby slings (l. parahybana & l. difficilis), and their ventilation holes are round, almost exactly their carapace width, so I wrapped a long piece of Scotch tape around to cover all the holes. I figure they'll be fine if I vent the container by taking the lid off one or twice a day (lots of airspace inside) but I'm worried they might chew through the tape. Thoughts?

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Now I'm paranoid. I just got my first baby slings (l. parahybana & l. difficilis), and their ventilation holes are round, almost exactly their carapace width, so I wrapped a long piece of Scotch tape around to cover all the holes. I figure they'll be fine if I vent the container by taking the lid off one or twice a day (lots of airspace inside) but I'm worried they might chew through the tape. Thoughts?
I hope you put the tape on the inside not the outside they might get stuck on the tape

cold blood

Staff member
I figure they'll be fine if I vent the container by taking the lid off one or twice a day (lots of airspace inside) Thoughts?
Make other smaller holes or better yet, just put it in a proper enclosure. Relying on periodically opening the lid for fresh air is a poor solution.

Why hope for things to work out when a solution can be found at the dollar store....for $1

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep a number of my tarantulas in Container Store shoe boxes. Some of them have lived seemingly happily for years in their shoe boxes. Most of the lids fit pretty snugly. Last week my near adult B. Klaasi female decided to lift her lid and go on walk-about. When my daughter found her, she had traveled about fifty feet, out of my room down the hall through the foyer and was apprehended near the front door. Who knows what round about route she took to get there. She's now in a tank with a locking lid. All spiders still in shoeboxes have temporary postal tape "locks" until I can contrive something more aesthetic.

ColinBaker

Arachnopeon
[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
I hope you put the tape on the inside not the outside they might get stuck on the tape<br/>

Dammit.. Guess I'll put them back in the pill jars until they moult a couple of times. They really have more room than they need anyway. (1/4" slings in 3"-4" containers)

Gpappy31

Arachnopeon
<br />
<br />
I hope you put the tape on the inside not the outside they might get stuck on the tape<br/>

Dammit.. Guess I'll put them back in the pill jars until they moult a couple of times. They really have more room than they need anyway. (1/4" slings in 3"-4" containers)[/QUOTE]

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
All spiders still in shoeboxes have temporary postal tape "locks" until I can contrive something more aesthetic.
It's an ugly solution, but for a very short time.... I used a bungee cord wrapped around the enclosure. Now I have clear 3M hooks and much smaller elastics. :)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can't see video

To those of you that still don't think a T can't squeeze through cracks that are -looking- WAY too small, here's a vid that'll teach you otherwise... (I've heard that "Don't worry, the space is way too small for it to squeeze through" once too often by now...)

[YOUTUBE]7pzm9pZgVOI[/YOUTUBE]

Honestly, I will never understand why people take the risk of putting tiny slings in critter keepers. The problem with those is, that no matter the size of the CK, the plastic lids are the SAME. They have the SAME size of space between those ribs...think twice before you risk losing a sling in your app!

Just some advice...general rule of thumb: If they can get the carapace through, chances are their abdomen will fit through, too!

Help plz I can't see this video!,, I'd really like to my t just escaped days ago....