Rehabbing paralyzed Tarantula

OneTimeT

Arachnopeon
Preface: this is my first post, so please be kind... And to anyone reading this for future reference on rehabbing a tarantula paralyzed by a Tarantula Hawk wasp, note that I'm no expert in this area so you shouldn't take my experience as a guide. I'm probably doing a number of things wrong, but I'm writing here to learn.

In the beginning of October while heading home from a mountain bike ride, I found a tarantula sitting in the middle of the road. The road gets a moderate number of cars, so anytime I see an animal I shoo it off to the side of the road. But in this case, the tarantula refused to move even when I spritzed water on it. Its legs would barely twitch when water bounced off it. I directed traffic around the tarantula for a while, then I went to the side of the road to find something to relocate the tarantula with. While doing that, I saw a tarantula hawk run up and try to drag the tarantula away:

1701715698444.png

The wasp was very skittish and would run away every time a car came. Eventually traffic was too much and the wasp ran completely away. I didn't want to leave the tarantula behind to be squished by a car (which admittedly would have been a better way to go than by wasp larva), so I scooped it up in my empty water bottle and brought it home. I figured that if it didn't survive, at least it wouldn't have a slow eaten-from-the-inside-out death and my kids would get to see something cool.

I have a fair bit of arachnophobia, and I would never consider having a tarantula as a pet. However, I know that this phobia isn't completely logical and I don't want my kids to be as scared of spiders and bugs as I was/am.

I put the tarantula, who I've named Puppy (a cute name helps fight the phobia), into a small terrarium with sand. I figured that sand would be ok since it's similar to the natural land it came from (southern California coastal mountains), but after a bit of research it looks like sand isn't good for them. Here it is, sitting paralyzed on the sand:

1701716821427.png

Research, research, research: I believe it's a Steindachner's Ebony Tarantula (Aphonopelma steindachneri) and I assume it's a male since I found it just before sunset in early autumn (when the boys like to go out looking for some fun). I'm open to corrections if anyone knows better.

He wasn't 100% paralyzed, more like he could only move in extreme slow motion and very weakly. He could lift his pedipalps a few mm up in around 10 seconds. When I articulated his legs using a couple tongue depressor sticks, he provided no resistance. It felt like his legs had as much muscle tone as a string of yarn.

I flipped him onto his back, and syringe-fed him water. On his first day, he slowly drank only 2 cc of water. In the photo below, you can see the water droplet on his fangs, plus a lot of sand stuck on his underside.

1701717491264.png

My feeding schedule is however much water he's willing to drink, given every other day. The first day was 2cc, then the next feeding was 5 cc, then the next feeding was 7 cc (which was after about 1 week). After surviving the first week, he has settled down at 8 cc of water every other day, and he drinks much faster than during the first week.

After around 2 weeks, he pooped a little. With every feeding he gained a little more movement in his legs. At first it was just some small wiggles only visible through a microscope, then after a couple weeks he could move his legs enough to be seen with the naked eye. It has been a very steady progression, and the difference between every 2 days (when he's fed) were very noticeable. His leg movements got faster and he could move them further. This was all observable only while he's on his back however, since he was too weak to move anything touching the ground.

Halloween came around and he got coconut fiber instead of sand. I'm not sure if the fibers should be moistened at all. Since his natural home is very dry, I opted to keep the fibers completely dehydrated.

1701718188972.png

The decorations were just for the photo. He normally sits under part of an egg crate where it's dark.

By Halloween (around 3 weeks since he was stung), he started wiggling his "toes". What I mean is that the tips of his legs have an area that is shaped a little like camel toes (look at the light coloured tips of his pedipalps below) that he could spread apart to expose a couple sharp hooks in the middle. At first he would wiggle these toes spastically, perhaps uncontrolled. But at least they were moving, and he would wiggle them whenever he got a new drop of water to drink.

1701718584939.png

A month went by, and I gave him his first feeding of "soup". I have a bottle of dehydrated mealworms I got for an opossum rescue, and I soaked a bunch of those worms in a bit of water. After a couple days in the fridge, the water is a light shade of brown, and the water is what I feed him. It must have been delicious because I never saw him drink so fast! He had 10 cc of the soup. Here is one of his feedings:

1701719132968.png

1701719156447.png

I fed him 2 servings of the soup in 3 days. He pooped the day after the last serving, so I take that as a sign that the soup is effective and nutritious. I don't want to feed him too much soup because I don't want him to grow and need to molt. I assume that molting is dependent more on growth than it is on time, so the longer I can delay it the better. It would be disaster if he molts before he regains his full strength.

After around 6 weeks, he started wiggling his fangs for the first time. It was only visible under the microscope. He wasn't able to extend his fangs at all, not even 1 mm, but at least he could wiggle them left and right a little.

After around 7 weeks, he took his first steps on his own! He did it overnight when alone, but he clearly walked a couple cm out from under his egg crate den. When flipping him upside down to feed him, I could feel that a couple of rear legs on his right side weren't "soft" anymore. He was clenching them hard enough that any attempt to move the leg would move his entire body in unison. It was like this for around 4 days, and I was worried that perhaps these legs were damaged. Looking back, I now think that it was because he was finally getting stronger control of these legs.

After around 8 weeks, I could see that he had fully coordinated movements of his legs. They were no longer shaky and coarse movements. He could moderately quickly move his legs exactly where he wanted to, without flailing around or trying to reposition them repeatedly.

Around week 9, he got a full week's worth of soup instead of water. He reliably drinks 8 cc of water or 10 cc of soup at each feeding. A few days after drinking soup, he poops a little.

After 10 weeks, he walked completely out of his den for the first time. He's able to wiggle his fangs more, but it doesn't seem as mobile as his legs. He hasn't extended his fangs yet, but I don't know if that's because he can't or because he doesn't want to. I'm not sure when I should transition him from hand-feeding to giving him a water bowl, and eventually to eating on his own. I want his legs to get stronger first, and hopefully I'll see some signs that he has full use of his fangs before I give him prey.

I'm not sure what the endgame is here. At first I thought he wasn't going to survive the night. Then I figured that I would rehab him then return him home. But now I don't know if he'd survive a day back in the wild. I suppose I'll wait for him to molt, then see where we go from there (if he survives).

1701720588985.png

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Good work! It takes a lot of patience to undertake something like this, so kudos to you, and your kids are learning a valuable lesson about doing hard things, not just about tarantulas.

From the photos you provided, it looks like Puppy may actually be a female. We won't be able to tell with certainty until it molts, but it's definitely not a mature male (which would have modified pedipalps and tibial hooks that are obvious, and are the ones you're thinking of that go out looking for females). An immature male may take several years before maturing, and then 2-4 years after maturing. If it is indeed a female, she could live for anywhere from 20-35 years! Either way, if Puppy pulls through this you may have a family pet for years to come (if you decide not to return it to the wild).

As for transitioning back to solid prey from soup, you don't have to offer live prey. They will scavenge on freshly killed crickets/roaches/superworms, which might be easier for it to handle the first couple times you feed. At least then you won't have to worry about the prey fighting back and potentially injuring your T.

Thanks for sharing!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Good work! It takes a lot of patience to undertake something like this, so kudos to you, and your kids are learning a valuable lesson about doing hard things, not just about tarantulas.

From the photos you provided, it looks like Puppy may actually be a female. We won't be able to tell with certainty until it molts, but it's definitely not a mature male (which would have modified pedipalps and tibial hooks that are obvious, and are the ones you're thinking of that go out looking for females). An immature male may take several years before maturing, and then 2-4 years after maturing. If it is indeed a female, she could live for anywhere from 20-35 years! Either way, if Puppy pulls through this you may have a family pet for years to come (if you decide not to return it to the wild).

As for transitioning back to solid prey from soup, you don't have to offer live prey. They will scavenge on freshly killed crickets/roaches/superworms, which might be easier for it to handle the first couple times you feed. At least then you won't have to worry about the prey fighting back and potentially injuring your T.

Thanks for sharing!
Yeah I also think it looks possibly female.
Preface: this is my first post, so please be kind... And to anyone reading this for future reference on rehabbing a tarantula paralyzed by a Tarantula Hawk wasp, note that I'm no expert in this area so you shouldn't take my experience as a guide. I'm probably doing a number of things wrong, but I'm writing here to learn.

In the beginning of October while heading home from a mountain bike ride, I found a tarantula sitting in the middle of the road. The road gets a moderate number of cars, so anytime I see an animal I shoo it off to the side of the road. But in this case, the tarantula refused to move even when I spritzed water on it. Its legs would barely twitch when water bounced off it. I directed traffic around the tarantula for a while, then I went to the side of the road to find something to relocate the tarantula with. While doing that, I saw a tarantula hawk run up and try to drag the tarantula away:

View attachment 462167

The wasp was very skittish and would run away every time a car came. Eventually traffic was too much and the wasp ran completely away. I didn't want to leave the tarantula behind to be squished by a car (which admittedly would have been a better way to go than by wasp larva), so I scooped it up in my empty water bottle and brought it home. I figured that if it didn't survive, at least it wouldn't have a slow eaten-from-the-inside-out death and my kids would get to see something cool.

I have a fair bit of arachnophobia, and I would never consider having a tarantula as a pet. However, I know that this phobia isn't completely logical and I don't want my kids to be as scared of spiders and bugs as I was/am.

I put the tarantula, who I've named Puppy (a cute name helps fight the phobia), into a small terrarium with sand. I figured that sand would be ok since it's similar to the natural land it came from (southern California coastal mountains), but after a bit of research it looks like sand isn't good for them. Here it is, sitting paralyzed on the sand:

View attachment 462175

Research, research, research: I believe it's a Steindachner's Ebony Tarantula (Aphonopelma steindachneri) and I assume it's a male since I found it just before sunset in early autumn (when the boys like to go out looking for some fun). I'm open to corrections if anyone knows better.

He wasn't 100% paralyzed, more like he could only move in extreme slow motion and very weakly. He could lift his pedipalps a few mm up in around 10 seconds. When I articulated his legs using a couple tongue depressor sticks, he provided no resistance. It felt like his legs had as much muscle tone as a string of yarn.

I flipped him onto his back, and syringe-fed him water. On his first day, he slowly drank only 2 cc of water. In the photo below, you can see the water droplet on his fangs, plus a lot of sand stuck on his underside.

View attachment 462181

My feeding schedule is however much water he's willing to drink, given every other day. The first day was 2cc, then the next feeding was 5 cc, then the next feeding was 7 cc (which was after about 1 week). After surviving the first week, he has settled down at 8 cc of water every other day, and he drinks much faster than during the first week.

After around 2 weeks, he pooped a little. With every feeding he gained a little more movement in his legs. At first it was just some small wiggles only visible through a microscope, then after a couple weeks he could move his legs enough to be seen with the naked eye. It has been a very steady progression, and the difference between every 2 days (when he's fed) were very noticeable. His leg movements got faster and he could move them further. This was all observable only while he's on his back however, since he was too weak to move anything touching the ground.

Halloween came around and he got coconut fiber instead of sand. I'm not sure if the fibers should be moistened at all. Since his natural home is very dry, I opted to keep the fibers completely dehydrated.

View attachment 462183

The decorations were just for the photo. He normally sits under part of an egg crate where it's dark.

By Halloween (around 3 weeks since he was stung), he started wiggling his "toes". What I mean is that the tips of his legs have an area that is shaped a little like camel toes (look at the light coloured tips of his pedipalps below) that he could spread apart to expose a couple sharp hooks in the middle. At first he would wiggle these toes spastically, perhaps uncontrolled. But at least they were moving, and he would wiggle them whenever he got a new drop of water to drink.

View attachment 462184

A month went by, and I gave him his first feeding of "soup". I have a bottle of dehydrated mealworms I got for an opossum rescue, and I soaked a bunch of those worms in a bit of water. After a couple days in the fridge, the water is a light shade of brown, and the water is what I feed him. It must have been delicious because I never saw him drink so fast! He had 10 cc of the soup. Here is one of his feedings:

View attachment 462185

View attachment 462186

I fed him 2 servings of the soup in 3 days. He pooped the day after the last serving, so I take that as a sign that the soup is effective and nutritious. I don't want to feed him too much soup because I don't want him to grow and need to molt. I assume that molting is dependent more on growth than it is on time, so the longer I can delay it the better. It would be disaster if he molts before he regains his full strength.

After around 6 weeks, he started wiggling his fangs for the first time. It was only visible under the microscope. He wasn't able to extend his fangs at all, not even 1 mm, but at least he could wiggle them left and right a little.

After around 7 weeks, he took his first steps on his own! He did it overnight when alone, but he clearly walked a couple cm out from under his egg crate den. When flipping him upside down to feed him, I could feel that a couple of rear legs on his right side weren't "soft" anymore. He was clenching them hard enough that any attempt to move the leg would move his entire body in unison. It was like this for around 4 days, and I was worried that perhaps these legs were damaged. Looking back, I now think that it was because he was finally getting stronger control of these legs.

After around 8 weeks, I could see that he had fully coordinated movements of his legs. They were no longer shaky and coarse movements. He could moderately quickly move his legs exactly where he wanted to, without flailing around or trying to reposition them repeatedly.

Around week 9, he got a full week's worth of soup instead of water. He reliably drinks 8 cc of water or 10 cc of soup at each feeding. A few days after drinking soup, he poops a little.

After 10 weeks, he walked completely out of his den for the first time. He's able to wiggle his fangs more, but it doesn't seem as mobile as his legs. He hasn't extended his fangs yet, but I don't know if that's because he can't or because he doesn't want to. I'm not sure when I should transition him from hand-feeding to giving him a water bowl, and eventually to eating on his own. I want his legs to get stronger first, and hopefully I'll see some signs that he has full use of his fangs before I give him prey.

I'm not sure what the endgame is here. At first I thought he wasn't going to survive the night. Then I figured that I would rehab him then return him home. But now I don't know if he'd survive a day back in the wild. I suppose I'll wait for him to molt, then see where we go from there (if he survives).

View attachment 462198
nice story so glad you saved this great spider! They are great pets contrary to what some people say who aren’t experienced keepers. They get a bad wrap from the uneducated.

Last edited:

OneTimeT

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the kind words and helpful feedback, everyone. I didn't think that Puppy could be female, given the circumstances in which I found it. Would the following photos help identify?

1701752343860.png

1701752374273.png

I zapped a housefly today, and tried to feed it to Puppy. It didn't react favorably to the fly, even when I placed the fly directly on the fangs or pedipalps. The fangs wiggled a little, but that was it. No grabbing onto the fly or opening its mouth. I left the fly in front of it in case it gets hungry later.

I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to start feeding actual prey. Is it possible to buy dead crickets? Or is it only possible to buy live food?

Another question: should I add some moisture to the coconut fiber?

Here's a closeup of Puppy's toes, as described earlier:

1701752849925.png

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
That's father of the year material there, friend. There's got to be at least a half-dozen life lessons, & a ton of teachable moments this entire scenario is yielding...good for you!
In my opinion, if (s)he pulls through & recovers fully, you should keep her as a pet. Obviously I'm biased, & the legality of doing so may be in question (I couldn't do that with a native species in NY legally, without permits &/or professional/educational purview), but it's paid its dues in my mind's eye, & I've got to imagine the cosmos would smile on that spider having the opportunity to return the favor to the guy that nursed her back to health with homemade mealworm soup, by bringing all the enrichment that only a spider can bring into you & your family's lives, LoL
This is a great thread, & I especially enjoy the pictures. I'm trying to figure out the best caption for the Halloween themed one, & you should make the last one your family Christmas card, LoLoL

OneTimeT

Arachnopeon
The first thing I try to teach my kids is actually the opposite of what I did, which is to leave nature alone. But in this case, I figured that being smooshed by a car isn't a natural way for the tarantula and/or wasp to die anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to show my kids something they've never seen before. I also thought that the tarantula would've surely died from the sting, so no harm in bringing it home to study under the microscope. I didn't know that it would actually survive such a devastating injury.

This isn't the first time we've helped our animal friends either. We've raised hundreds of monarch butterflies in captivity, and rescued all sorts of birds and small mammals in distress. In fact, a few days after I rescued the tarantula, I caught a hummingbird that was stuck in my house. I found out that if it's dark, hummingbirds will go to sleep even if they know you're nearby. Once they're asleep, you can grab them if you're quick and quiet.

The holiday themed photos are there partly for fun, and partly to neuter any kind of phobias our family has. It works really well, and everyone is excited to see what kind of progress Puppy has made since the last feeding. Recently, it started trying to flip itself off its back after a while of feeding, like it's getting impatient with the long meals. Some day when it's fully mobile and predatory, it's going to take a lot for me to suppress my inner fears.

There's a wildlife rehab center nearby that has a bunch of tarantulas among other animals. I might see if they're willing to take Puppy if/when it's time to part ways.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
The confrontation of your phobia is outstanding, even if it is paralyzed. That you put forth the effort to care for it despite your phobia AND assuming death was imminent is also commendable, & excellent modeling for children; those are lessons with applicable morals to any number of situations.
No matter what you decide to do with her when & if she recovers, that's a fantastic experience that you're grandkids are going to be asking about some day...

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
being smooshed by a car isn't a natural way for the tarantula and/or wasp to die anyway
Bingo... Seems to me also like one of those cases where nature had already been derailed...

This isn't the first time we've helped our animal friends either.
This is awesome.

Some day when it's fully mobile and predatory, it's going to take a lot for me to suppress my inner fears.
I actually keep the couple tarantulas I have as a result of helping my kid through a bug phobia significant enough to see a therapist. It's hard work, but what you are doing right now is a huge step.

As an adult T of a relatively long-lived and slow-growing species, she'll probably eat maybe once a month. Live feeders would be the best, and there are definitely a number of different types to choose from.

There's a wildlife rehab center nearby that has a bunch of tarantulas among other animals. I might see if they're willing to take Puppy if/when it's time to part ways.
This is a great idea. If you aren't able to keep her, I hope they can take her either to care for or to safely return her to an appropriate habitat.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the kind words and helpful feedback, everyone. I didn't think that Puppy could be female, given the circumstances in which I found it. Would the following photos help identify?

View attachment 462241

View attachment 462242

I zapped a housefly today, and tried to feed it to Puppy. It didn't react favorably to the fly, even when I placed the fly directly on the fangs or pedipalps. The fangs wiggled a little, but that was it. No grabbing onto the fly or opening its mouth. I left the fly in front of it in case it gets hungry later.

I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to start feeding actual prey. Is it possible to buy dead crickets? Or is it only possible to buy live food?

Another question: should I add some moisture to the coconut fiber?

Here's a closeup of Puppy's toes, as described earlier:

View attachment 462243
Yeah, from these pics I'm definitely thinking it's a female. Probably one that was driven from her burrow by construction or some other human activity. If the wildlife rehab place could continue the work you've done and eventually release her into a place she can live out her remaining years in peace, she could potentially repay the debt by producing hundreds or even thousands of offspring to help maintain the delicate balance of the ecosystem. 👍

OneTimeT

Arachnopeon
Thanks again to everyone for your feedback and encouragement. I'm not in a rush to rehome the T or make any big decisions for the foreseeable future. Caring for it is manageable for now. Once I have to start giving live prey, that's when I'll probably have to to consider whether I continue or pass it on to another home.

If the T would normally eat only once a month or so, I wonder if I should feed the mealworm soup only once a month as well. I figure that my soup isn't as nutrition-dense as actual prey, so perhaps 2-3 consecutive feedings would equal one live prey.

Also, since I've never handled a healthy T before, I don't know if my T is still significantly weakened from the wasp sting or if it's normal for it to be so docile and unresponsive to manipulation. When I flip it onto its back using tongue depressors, it literally does not try to run away or defend itself. It just sits there waiting for me to finish moving it. Would a healthy T try to get away from such a situation?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks again to everyone for your feedback and encouragement. I'm not in a rush to rehome the T or make any big decisions for the foreseeable future. Caring for it is manageable for now. Once I have to start giving live prey, that's when I'll probably have to to consider whether I continue or pass it on to another home.

If the T would normally eat only once a month or so, I wonder if I should feed the mealworm soup only once a month as well. I figure that my soup isn't as nutrition-dense as actual prey, so perhaps 2-3 consecutive feedings would equal one live prey.

Also, since I've never handled a healthy T before, I don't know if my T is still significantly weakened from the wasp sting or if it's normal for it to be so docile and unresponsive to manipulation. When I flip it onto its back using tongue depressors, it literally does not try to run away or defend itself. It just sits there waiting for me to finish moving it. Would a healthy T try to get away from such a situation?
I think you're on the right track with feeding frequency. I think it would be a good idea at this point to put a shallow water dish in the enclosure for the T drink from if it's able to. Once it can do that, you really won't need to worry about feeding it at all - they can go months without eating, and aside from the paralysis this one looks healthy.

No, a healthy T wouldn't tolerate the handling without some protest, especially the flipping on it's back part. They wouldn't allow a potential predator to expose it's vulnerable underside without putting up a fight. If it doesn't do that, then it's still feeling the effects of the sting.

If you put in a water dish, you probably won't need to flip it anymore. Just put it's mouth over the water dish so it can drink by itself (leave the abdomen on the dry substrate - that's where it's book lungs are, so it won't drown while drinking).

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What a happy story! I remember seeing an update video of a T rehabbing from wasp sting last year or so (on another site). The video was it's claws moving under a microscope. That was the only sign of life left. That was was the entire update, and cause for celebration. I agree, of course, if you can imagine how excited I was to see a claw move, your story puts me over the moon.

How I differentiate fear and phobia? Read up on those hawk wasp stings in humans, Id imagine it would look something like that. No don't. Just take my word for it... you were incredibly brave to interfere with their meal. Hopefully you don't find any fear in this tarantula recovering from a terrible death...as it starts to resume being a tarantula...take pride in your interventions, and should they be met with resistance, then you take it as a compliment!!!

Please keep us updated, and welcome to the boards, you definitely belong here! ❤❤❤

OneTimeT

Arachnopeon
I think you're on the right track with feeding frequency. I think it would be a good idea at this point to put a shallow water dish in the enclosure for the T drink from if it's able to. Once it can do that, you really won't need to worry about feeding it at all - they can go months without eating, and aside from the paralysis this one looks healthy.

No, a healthy T wouldn't tolerate the handling without some protest, especially the flipping on it's back part. They wouldn't allow a potential predator to expose it's vulnerable underside without putting up a fight. If it doesn't do that, then it's still feeling the effects of the sting.

If you put in a water dish, you probably won't need to flip it anymore. Just put it's mouth over the water dish so it can drink by itself (leave the abdomen on the dry substrate - that's where it's book lungs are, so it won't drown while drinking).
Thanks for the tips and insight; this is exactly what I need since I have literally zero experience. I'm hesitant to put a water bowl in yet, as I don't know if the T can drag itself out successfully if it accidentally submerges its book lungs in the water. While it can walk a bit on its own, I've noticed that it stops as soon as it runs into the slightest obstacle. One time, I found it around the corner of its egg crate den, apparently stopped because one leg was up against the den. A healthy T could simply manoeuvre around, but this one is not yet coordinated enough. I'm in no rush to leave the T to feed itself, and I've read that it can take several months of rehab. I'll feed it for as long as it'll let me, and when it's strong enough to protest then I'll let it feed itself.

What a happy story! I remember seeing an update video of a T rehabbing from wasp sting last year or so (on another site). The video was it's claws moving under a microscope. That was the only sign of life left. That was was the entire update, and cause for celebration. I agree, of course, if you can imagine how excited I was to see a claw move, your story puts me over the moon.

How I differentiate fear and phobia? Read up on those hawk wasp stings in humans, Id imagine it would look something like that. No don't. Just take my word for it... you were incredibly brave to interfere with their meal. Hopefully you don't find any fear in this tarantula recovering from a terrible death...as it starts to resume being a tarantula...take pride in your interventions, and should they be met with resistance, then you take it as a compliment!!!

Please keep us updated, and welcome to the boards, you definitely belong here! ❤❤❤
Thanks for the warm welcome! I stayed far far away from that wasp. At the time I didn't know that it has one of the most painful stings of all insects, but even a plain wasp is more than enough for me to stay away. This wasp was enormous, absolutely the biggest insect I've ever seen. It was very smart, coming at the T from a few different directions which trying to avoid traffic and the water I had trickled onto the T. It never used its wings. It just ran around everywhere. A bunch of cars had scared the wasp away, and I could only stand in between the T and traffic for so long. The sun was going down so I made the quick decision to scoop up the T.

Here's a photo of the T when I first found it:

1701847867732.png

I didn't know it at the time, but now I see that it was completely in a defensive posture. Poor thing was probably in fight-or-flight mode but couldn't do anything.

OneTimeT

Arachnopeon
Just a small update on Puppy: by now I've been taking care of her for just a week shy of 6 months. Since my last update in December, she hasn't made much progress in her recovery. However, I did notice that she seems to make more progress after being fed soup instead of water. I only feed her soup 1 week per month, and after her last feeding she was walking around a lot more and generally moving faster. After all this movement, it looked like her joints (where her legs meet her sternum) were leaking a little. This made me concerned that she might molt soon, but some helpful forum members advised me that she's not likely in premolt yet. The thread about it is here.

Though she walks faster and is more coordinated now, she's still a long way away from being normal. She can navigate around obstacles a little better, but if she's on her back she can't flip over. She can't walk up walls yet, not even a little.

Last Sunday she extended her left fang out for the first time, which is a pretty big improvement. Up until now, the most she could manage was to wiggle her chelicerae. If she can eventually extend both fangs, I think she'll finally be in a position to eat bugs instead of soup.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Keep the updates coming, you are performing miracle. We love you Puppy!!!!!