Rehousing fast Ts

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Im glad it didnt escape! That was a pretty little adventure! 1 thing i sure, next time it wont happen again :D

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
tbh i kinda laughed at this.. i knew youd have probs when u let him go ahead and web up the lid instead of giving him a stick or a leaf lmao. i break my webs on the lid every day. they eventually stop. iv coaxed my gbbs out for many photo opps and never had them speed off. but then again when they bolt when i open the container i know they dont want to be bothered so i dont... iv rehoused my gbbs 3 times now including the unboxing to enclosure..

i do however have a bolter.. my boehmei is now up to 2" but when he was .5, 1 and 1.5 hed run if i didnt know what i was doing. youv got to know your T. only one i feel uncomfortable rehousing and its a p. cambridgei and its like 1/2 inch and a lightning bolt as is. wind came thru my room and knocked its cup over so i put him in a 31oz container.. as soon as i opened his container he bolted down the 32 oz, up the other side and stopped near the top within what seemed like a blink. i just stayed calm and fixed everything. and when i opened the big catch cups lid, he just casually strolled along and whent into his container..

if your calm theyl calm down so long as they arnt wound for sound... however i think the grabbing the T with your hands kinds says you are too likely to panic to own a faster sp. i still kind of stand by the idea of you waiting to get sp you dont own till youv had your a little longer record.. i myself have only had one death and it was a mystery. and that was abour 6months ago.. nothing husbandry related either.. after i gett in numbers 13-15 this week and no more for a while untell at least my gbbs mature[2.5 and 3in now] or all T's are 4"+ [smallest is 1/2"] as to not overload too quickly.. and so i learn all my T's and am not surprized when i get more

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm not sure if I have any rooms that would work as rehousing rooms for fast Ts. My new enclosure should my GBB happy for a while so I shouldn't have to worry about that. The funny thing is that I have actually rehoused this T two times before, once when I got it, and a second time when transferring it to a smaller enclosure. It never acted like this during either of those rehousings. In fact the first one was outside lol. I guess even Ts change as they get older.
Uh, yes? As mentioned so often before, T's can certainly change their disposition with every molt, or simply out of the blue. No matter what some people say, I've experienced it first hand that specimens usually fired up can be calm as a lamb sometimes or vice versa. This is exactly what we mean when we say "get to know your spider" - a big part of that is either observing them plenty, or like some of us do, ocassionally work with them for pictures for example.

Besides, I thought Ts preferred small containers.
Careful - that statement is wrong in itself. The enclosure needs to be appropriate of its size and behavior. But every enclosure needs a good hiding spot and usually those are tight so the T feels secure in it. In case of GBBs, some of mine have taken to a cave, others just creat their webcastles. Putting a T into an enclosure that you'll have to rehouse it out of in a molt or two already again, is a fools errand though.

Bottom line, after what you wrote in that transfer report, I wouldn't want to know what happened if it were a Psalm, or just an A. geniculata even. Best advice - keep what you have, don't get any new ones at this point and get used to those specimens.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I go against conventional thinking with my faster spiders, in that I keep them in slightly smaller enclosures. I'm less concerned with working space and more concerned with limiting their maneuverability. That said, in order for that to work, you need calm, deliberate movements with zero panicked reactions.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I go against conventional thinking with my faster spiders, in that I keep them in slightly smaller enclosures. I'm less concerned with working space and more concerned with limiting their maneuverability. That said, in order for that to work, you need calm, deliberate movements with zero panicked reactions.
I'm pretty sure you still give them plenty of space. The GBB from the OP will have to be rehoused already in another molt again. And as said before, I'd put it into the next bigger enclosure already.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Oh, sure, they have a good amount of living space. But I saw some people noting they use slightly larger enclosures for their faster species, so I wanted to note how I kept them.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'm pretty sure you still give them plenty of space. The GBB from the OP will have to be rehoused already in another molt again. And as said before, I'd put it into the next bigger enclosure already.
Agreed, I house my 2.75-3 inch one in an extra large kk and it uses every inch of it, it has a main hide but it will hang out in different spots. It has gained .5 inches with me since I've had it in there and might outgrow it by next spring.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
A T racing around its enclosure would have been my first clue to *not* doing the transfer at that time.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure if I have any rooms that would work as rehousing rooms for fast Ts. My new enclosure should my GBB happy for a while so I shouldn't have to worry about that. The funny thing is that I have actually rehoused this T two times before, once when I got it, and a second time when transferring it to a smaller enclosure. It never acted like this during either of those rehousings. In fact the first one was outside lol. I guess even Ts change as they get older.
you do need a, room for re housing buy a big huge clear tub with a top and put the enclosure inside of it during re homing if it gets out you'll have an easier time catching it

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
you don't have a bathroom?

i just rehoused my GBB recently. one thing that helped immensely was that he was in premolt (i didn't know he was in premolt, but figured it out when he molted a few days after being placed in his enclosure). i've heard about some challenging GBB rehousings, but this one went as easily as i could imagine. placed his old enclosure inside the new enclosure, removed the lid, and gently prodded him out with a paintbrush. he very slowly just walked up, out, and into the new enclosure. remove old enclosure, place some of his old webbing into a corner of the new one (very helpful since he found the old web to molt in), close lid, and done. if he'd been running around like that, i definitely would have postponed the transfer. besides premolt, you can pick a certain time of day when the T is less active (you should know your T's habits pretty well by now) or after a meal; a hungry T that is in hunting mode is going to be tougher to rehouse than a T who has just fed and is feeling full and sated.

i can't see the pics of the new enclosure, but from everyone's comments i take it it's on the smaller side. since my GBB was approaching 3", and i expect it to reach 3.25-3.5" after its next molt, i went ahead and put it in its adult enclosure (8"x8"x15"). i'd rather have him in a slightly larger enclosure and allow him to grow into it. especially with this species that webs so much, i don't worry so much about a fall. in his old enclosure he webbed the whole thing, there was nothing for him to fall onto that wasn't covered in a webby safety net, and he's already started webbing the new one. it also allowed me to place the old enclosure inside the new one, instead of having to coax into and back out of a catch cup, making things much easier.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Simple rehouse, as suspected:

[Youtube]WRPROSdlpAg[/youtube]

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found another downside to the container I picked: it's as hard as hell to open. I managed to find a way around this with the little door; by prying it open with my prodding comb without causing a lot of disturbance to the T, but I don't know what I will do when I have to remove the top. Just tough it out I guess. Fortunately the GBB seems to have slowed down. It doesn't try to bolt when I open the enclosure. I have fed it three times so far now so I don't think any more problems will arise unless I drop a cricket in there while it is in premolt or something. The only thing that concerns me it the substrate. It hasn't dried out yet and I am worried it will affect the GBB if it is wet for too long. I haven't refilled the water dish or put any additional moisture in the enclosure so far, so I am probably just being paranoid, but still, do you think the GBB can tough it out or will I have to do *shutters* another rehouse onto drier substrate?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found another downside to the container I picked: it's as hard as hell to open. I managed to find a way around this with the little door; by prying it open with my prodding comb without causing a lot of disturbance to the T, but I don't know what I will do when I have to remove the top. Just tough it out I guess. Fortunately the GBB seems to have slowed down. It doesn't try to bolt when I open the enclosure. I have fed it three times so far now so I don't think any more problems will arise unless I drop a cricket in there while it is in premolt or something. The only thing that concerns me it the substrate. It hasn't dried out yet and I am worried it will affect the GBB if it is wet for too long. I haven't refilled the water dish or put any additional moisture in the enclosure so far, so I am probably just being paranoid, but still, do you think the GBB can tough it out or will I have to do *shutters* another rehouse onto drier substrate?
Dude... it's a green bottle blue... rehousing this species is a piece of cake. They're quick but not what I'd call fast.

awiec

Arachnoprince
His quote still stands, these are considered beginner species, you have a lot of learning to do if you want to get into more species. I've raised true spiders that were faster and more foul tempered than a GBB, maybe train yourself with those or ya know do what everyone tells you and raise your Ts for another year before getting more if you are overwhelmed already. Everyone grows at their own pace, there is no shame in going slow.