Restless a hentzi

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As long as she has water to keep hydrated. She may take a while to settle in even after settling in they sometimes climb to top of their enclosures. Has she found the pre made burrow yet?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Se found the burrow and covered it up? Lol. Going to add more substrate again tonight. she always has fresh water - I'm also going to try the packing tape thing. I tried it w masking tape and she can still hang upside down. So packing tape is smoother.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Was her old enclosure in the same location as the new one?

Sana

Arachnoprince
Has the ventilation increased on the new enclosure? I wouldn't think that the furnace was doing it if the location is the same. If there's more ventilation though, maybe it's get a breeze that's bothering it? Like someone blowing in it.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No breeze in our house, none are close to any windows or doors...

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Se found the burrow and covered it up? Lol. Going to add more substrate again tonight. she always has fresh water - I'm also going to try the packing tape thing. I tried it w masking tape and she can still hang upside down. So packing tape is smoother.
It has to be packing tape.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I figured lol just got some today so I'm trying it out

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 12-26-2014 at 08:03 PM ----------

Ok so I tried doing the same thing w this packing tape to no avail... The tape refused to stick . I'm iust having no luck w this *sigh*

--J.Haas

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
K, so far so good... Just turned on the heater to see if my girl tries to climb...

14pokies

Arachnoprince
K, so far so good... Just turned on the heater to see if my girl tries to climb...
She only climbs when the heater is turned on? She could be senseing the airflow and figures its a way out..if this is the case move her enclosure.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Huh very good point!!

--J.Haas
Ya my hentzi start roaming if I leave the lid off too long during maintenance. They sense the airflow and follow it right out..the male gets defensive when I try to corral him..the female doesn't have a care in the world she just puts on her walking boots.lol!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like her. That's very interesting tho I cannot myself detect any breeze I be she could!! I'm trying the packing tape thing, got it to work, so far no "A. Hentzi" hanging upside down!!

--J.Haas

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Sounds like her. That's very interesting tho I cannot myself detect any breeze I be she could!! I'm trying the packing tape thing, got it to work, so far no "A. Hentzi" hanging upside down!!

--J.Haas
Their bristles can detect things we can't imagine! From what I understand its like the Jacobson's organ on a snake..my arboreals cling to it no problem but they do it vertically as my enclosures are on end .if its like geckos that only strengthens the bond..when a terrestrial is hanging upside down the pads don't typically compress in the Same fashion and gravity gains the upper hand..its a deterrent not the cure..good luck I hope I helped..

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So far U really did thank u so very much! I'll keep u posted if she acts up again!

--J.Haas

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My a hentzi is constantly climbing the walls of her enclosure, and frequently spends time upside down on the screen up top. Use the same substrate/cage as before I rehoused her a few weeks ago, but she goes on really crazy climbing missions... Any ideas why or how to remedy this folks?
1) A. hentzi (note the italics, one and all) are prairie and desert tarantulas. They neither need damp substrate nor appreciate it. If the substrate is even a little damp, dry the cage out.

2) Read Substrate.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Normal people scare me!

Contrary to popular opinion, tarantulas aren't weird. Humanoids are!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks!! I'll try out some of these options, tho I question if it's the substrate bc she climbs usually when the heater is on ... I'm starting to think she just loves the heat... Any ideas?

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 12-27-2014 at 01:55 AM ----------

I might mist her once a month, she's very dry usually. Just new fresh water twice a day...

--J.Haas

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, just an update, I rearranged her cage when I added more substrate last night. And she seemed not to climb at all. Now it's like she can enjoy the heater through her borrow so no climbing necessary Thx to all that were of great help and hope this thread answered a few questions for other people too!

--J.Haas

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Outsmarted again!

Ok, so bad news, I woke up this morning to see my A. hentzi hanging upside down again and I'm just totally clueless how she got up there - sheer persistence I assume. Starting to feel like I may be u-know-what out of luck! I've done everything everyone has suggested.