S. Polymorpha died?

QUESTIONSL33P

Arachnopeon
just 2 days after getting my pede they passed away mid way digging into the substrate. upon further inspection I see some signs of mycosis (dark spots at tips of legs and joints). I really don’t know how to feel rn, I kept the tank dry and a little cap of water in the tank. I don’t think it could’ve gotten mycosis just from that?? It ate before too. I really don’t want it to have been my own fault but I’m afraid to say it probably is because I’m so inexperienced ☹ couldve the substrate been an issue? I used reptile sand , I was told by multiple keepers it’s safe but idk. I’m kinda at a loss For words.

Raptorr

Arachnosquire
just 2 days after getting my pede they passed away mid way digging into the substrate. upon further inspection I see some signs of mycosis (dark spots at tips of legs and joints). I really don’t know how to feel rn, I kept the tank dry and a little cap of water in the tank. I don’t think it could’ve gotten mycosis just from that?? It ate before too. I really don’t want it to have been my own fault but I’m afraid to say it probably is because I’m so inexperienced ☹ couldve the substrate been an issue? I used reptile sand , I was told by multiple keepers it’s safe but idk. I’m kinda at a loss For words.
just 2 days after getting my pede they passed away mid way digging into the substrate. upon further inspection I see some signs of mycosis (dark spots at tips of legs and joints). I really don’t know how to feel rn, I kept the tank dry and a little cap of water in the tank. I don’t think it could’ve gotten mycosis just from that?? It ate before too. I really don’t want it to have been my own fault but I’m afraid to say it probably is because I’m so inexperienced couldve the substrate been an issue? I used reptile sand , I was told by multiple keepers it’s safe but idk. I’m kinda at a loss For words.
Sorry to hear about that. Losing it after only 2 days definitely sucks. The good news is that it's not your fault. Mycosis cannot develop and kill a centipede in just 2 days. It takes much longer than that. WC pedes can come in with issues already, or your pede could've been kept wrong by whoever you bought it from. In the future, if you ever decide to try again, I'd recommend asking the seller if they can send you a picture of the specimen you'd be receiving, so you can potentially see if it has mycosis already. Another thing you can do to ensure you will most likely be getting a healthy centipede is to go for pedelings because they have a much higher chance of being in good health than adults or subadults. Plus, you get to watch them grow, and you'll know how they have been kept throughout their lives rather than buying a wild caught.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Sorry to hear about that. Losing it after only 2 days definitely sucks. The good news is that it's not your fault. Mycosis cannot develop and kill a centipede in just 2 days. It takes much longer than that. WC pedes can come in with issues already, or your pede could've been kept wrong by whoever you bought it from. In the future, if you ever decide to try again, I'd recommend asking the seller if they can send you a picture of the specimen you'd be receiving, so you can potentially see if it has mycosis already. Another thing you can do to ensure you will most likely be getting a healthy centipede is to go for pedelings because they have a much higher chance of being in good health than adults or subadults. Plus, you get to watch them grow, and you'll know how they have been kept throughout their lives rather than buying a wild caught.
Why doesn’t Mycosis affect spiders ? But these other large invertebrates

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Two days is almost too fast for anything but if the sand was dry and it couldn't get to the cap it could have died from dehydration.
Often the appendages turn dark after death, but that usually takes a few days as it rots inside.

AddisonH

Arachnopeon
Yes, Raptorr is right, it does not seem like there is any way it could be your fault, the centipede was probably in poor health already. Fyi a very small amount of moisture should be fine in a part of the enclosure as long as there is good ventilation.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yes, Raptorr is right, it does not seem like there is any way it could be your fault, the centipede was probably in poor health already. Fyi a very small amount of moisture should be fine in a part of the enclosure as long as there is good ventilation.
Pet shops here are terrible 😢.. sick specimens sold everywhere it seems.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I'm not sure honestly. That's a good question. I'm more into pedes than spiders
Yeah I really don’t know enough about pede care but it sounds hard because Mycosis. It’s weird because many live in moist environments in the wild.

Last edited:

Raptorr

Arachnosquire
Yeah I really don’t know enough about pede care but it sounds hard because Mycosis. It’s weird because many live in moist environments in the wild.
That would be because the main culprit isn't just moisture; a lack of ventilation and dirty conditions are the main causes. Little to no cross-vent allows the air to get stagnant, which is where mycosis truly thrives. Mycosis can make pede care a bit more difficult, but as long as you know what conditions to keep them in you won't have problems.