S. subspinipes-which species on average grows the largest?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Very interesting about the temps, Evan. When I started keeping 'pedes I assumed supplementary heat was obligatory and now have a few freezer pets to show for it. Haven't had near the same results since & it chaps my hide to see certain individuals on here occasionally pimp out bad info gleaned from old care sheets.

Regarding the Panacur: I see a couple different formulas available and it looks like they come in a granular form? I assume that you'd only want to use a very limited amount, say, 1/2 grain or less?

I have a photo of a dried specimen from Bug Blast in September that is enormous and very well preserved. I'll try to dig that up and post it. Not sure if the preservation process would distort the length but in person it was a big mamajama.

EMWhite

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I was the same way. "All pedes are kept warm and damp." Then, after losing heros sp and Malaysian Giants/Chinese Tigerlegs I've come to realize that's not the case. :/

The Malaysian Giant sp I had were collected in trees. The collectors would set up a ladder with one guy up top and one down at the bottom. They'd have a funnel at the top, connected to a hose-type thing, and the guy at the top would wear heavy gloves. When he'd find one of the pedes he'd drop it in the funnel and it'd slide down the tube into a bucket on the ground where the second guy would stick it in a separate container. (Water bottle maybe.) It was around the time I found that out that I started keeping them cooler.

Panacur comes in powdered form for dogs and cats usually, and you mix that with their food. I think what you are looking at may be one of the only over the counter forms. Generally, the standard for reptiles (etc) is a liquid suspension of it (rx only, usually). They used to sell equine paste at farm/feed stores, not sure if they still do. I only used the powdered stuff once, on anolis lizards, and I gave each one a little clot of it. (It's kinda inconsistent in size, lots of different sized grains of it) That worked fine. If you were to use an amount like you said that'd probably be fine. If you could somehow find the liquid suspension (perhaps even the paste – check Kingsnake.com's classifieds) you could probably dilute it with a little water as well. Cheap I think, $20 or less.

*The drug name is: Fenbendazole, and the paste was called SafeGuard, I think.

-Evan

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(Still have yours Jason!)
unfortunately mine expired a few months ago. it might be due to the heat, it's hard to say for sure.

I was told by a friend from malaysia, that temperature ranging from 15*C to 25*C would be best for the highland malaysian species.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Panacur comes in powdered form for dogs and cats usually, and you mix that with their food. I think what you are looking at may be one of the only over the counter forms. Generally, the standard for reptiles (etc) is a liquid suspension of it (rx only, usually). They used to sell equine paste at farm/feed stores, not sure if they still do. I only used the powdered stuff once, on anolis lizards, and I gave each one a little clot of it. (It's kinda inconsistent in size, lots of different sized grains of it) That worked fine. If you were to use an amount like you said that'd probably be fine. If you could somehow find the liquid suspension (perhaps even the paste – check Kingsnake.com's classifieds) you could probably dilute it with a little water as well. Cheap I think, $20 or less.

*The drug name is: Fenbendazole, and the paste was called SafeGuard, I think.-Evan
Evan, in what amount would you use for an 8" centipede? have you ever try it? i'm just curious.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That Panacur stuff sounds dangerous to me for an invert, of course without knowing much about it. I'm thinking something like trying doses on adult crickets, bumping it up on individuals, then when I saw a cricket with a dose that makes it behave diff, I think that might be the amount I would try on a big pede, as long as that cricket showing drug symptoms didn't die. Might be kind of interesting to see how it goes.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol, you should definitely give it a try Gala. Use it on those heros with the trachea problem

Last edited:

EMWhite

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The panacur seemed like a dangerous thing to me too, despite its wide range of effectiveness and safety for vertebrates. I have tried it myself, to no disadvantageous effects, and the person who recommended it to me said he had a first hand account (I believe) if seeing/hearing about it used on S. subspinipes imports that arrived in sub-par shape. He said the small doses of panacur perked them up. **This, according to him, does ***NOT*** work on tarantulas or scorpions**

I took a q-tip, dipped it in a liquid suspension, and put a single little dab on the back of a cricket (less than .001 of a ml.), which the pede(s) ate without issue. I do not mean to say it is perfectly harmless (etc) just an observation/piece of information I thought was fascinating and tried out. I repeated it twice, with 2 weeks in between, which is a standard regimen for panacur treatment.

-Evan

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds interesting, yeah J, I guess I could try it for those, not having the prob now though.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Well, not exactly the best size reference but the solifugid was middle eastern and I think the amblypygid was H. batesii. The centipede was labled as being from Thailand, from Don Ehlen's dried collection: