Sad, empty tank

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got my 1.5 " A. geniculata at Swifts. I like it a lot. They are 40 dollars at that size. 1/4 inch ones are 20 dollars, if you don't mind starting small. They are reputed to grow pretty fast. mine just moulted and I could notice a size increase. All of the spiders I received with the genic were nice and healthy. Swifty is a very popular seller, with nary a black mark against him. And A. genic is a popular species. A little feisty, great eaters, and they get big. Their urticaing hairs have a bit of a reputation though. But I can't attest to that yet.

they grow CRAZY fast. I got mine last year in November at 1/2" and it's pushing four now!

awiec

Arachnoprince
If you can afford or find it, get a G. iheringi.

And yes, I'm saying that in every recommendation thread.
They've come down a bit in the states, I got mine for $40 each and both have grown .5 inches from their last molt and I expect another soon. They certainly don't act like the standard Grammie and have some fight in them too.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
G. iheringi are beautiful and get really big for a grammy, too! Nice T's indeed!

Everything out of the Acanthoscurria genus grows like weeds in comparison to other terrestrials. My big girl went from ~3" to her now impressive ~8" within a couple years.

E. murinus are petholes?! Uhm...nope. They're usually out at night or at least sitting at the mound of their burrows in general. And then there's mine wandering around at night and not being defensive / skittish in the least but calm and stubborn :D

Calloway

Arachnopeon
+1, I second that. No collection is complete without a G. pulchra. ;)
I third the G. pulchra suggestion. And also second the E. campestratus suggestion. Might also want to look into some of the Aphonopelma genera. They're NW and quite docile for the most part.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G. iheringi are beautiful and get really big for a grammy, too! Nice T's indeed!

Everything out of the Acanthoscurria genus grows like weeds in comparison to other terrestrials. My big girl went from ~3" to her now impressive ~8" within a couple years.

E. murinus are petholes?! Uhm...nope. They're usually out at night or at least sitting at the mound of their burrows in general. And then there's mine wandering around at night and not being defensive / skittish in the least but calm and stubborn :D
I usually don't see my murinus until after midnight. It doesn't like to leave it's burrow for long. Not a pet hole in the sense of many other borrowers, but still pretty reclusive.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I third the G. pulchra suggestion. And also second the E. campestratus suggestion. Might also want to look into some of the Aphonopelma genera. They're NW and quite docile for the most part.
Looks like the g pulchra and a geniculata are tip top of my list currently!
You all are so lovely to give me such brilliant and informed ideas!

Now just gotta find someone selling em as juvis...

awiec

Arachnoprince
I usually don't see my murinus until after midnight. It doesn't like to leave it's burrow for long. Not a pet hole in the sense of many other borrowers, but still pretty reclusive.
I see mine out pretty often usually during the afternoon and morning and does a little trotting around the tank; my P.regalis I never see she is truly a pet hole.

laurenkane

Arachnosquire
G pulchra all the way - such sweethearts. My b. vagans is also super sweet - the most docile and calm t I own.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I 4th,5th, or 6th or whatever we are on for the pulchra. Can I suggest a Brachypelma verdezi they are beautiful calm not expensive and eat like pigs they also grow quicker than a lot of the other brachys

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ended up snagging an a geniculata 3" from Crypticmonk and it should arrive next week yay

katluc

Arachnopeon
A. Geniculata was my third T and I love it. It's only a sling but definitely my most entertaining. It's an interior decorator. I'm so excited about it growing up.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Awesome,A.geniculata B.Vagans (pure bloodline) and a T.blondi or T.stirmi would be the only heavy NW's I would give a toss about.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm so juiced I can't wait everyone seems yo agree this is an awesome species so I'm on board... Choo choo

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I'm so juiced I can't wait everyone seems yo agree this is an awesome species so I'm on board... Choo choo
Lol i hope onr day to breed mine (juvie still) and prob keep every single baby lol thats how much i love mine xD

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yes, and not only that, it is good to get some fast-growers along with the not so fast ones at the same time. That way you feel like you may actually accomplish something in regard to raising a spider in your lifetime. ;)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh it is...just remember: Keep fingers out of reach of that one! Chances are they'll be mistaken for food else...