• Get rid of the scientific names

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I don't really care either way

Votes: 19 18.4%

• Total voters

knightjar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Agreed, some common names such as "bird eater" are just plain misleading. I use scientific names because there is currently no other definitive way to describe a particular species. But that doesn't mean that more accessible names are a bad idea, providing there was an agreed standard to prevent confusion. The use of Greek/Latin has an air of elitism that is off-putting to some who might otherwise take a real interest.

brandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think people who speak English should be the last to complain about difficult pronounciations! Latin isn't difficult once you spend a little time with it, and it makes soooo much more sense than the common names because once you learn a few prefixes/suffixes and stems, you realize they actually describe the animal youare talking about (most of the time). BTW, Linnaeus was Sweedish, not roman. The names are in Latin because that was the language of acadamia in the 18th century. It was a common language shared by all schollars, so that English, Germans, Sweeds, French, basically everyone could understand each other. Still works today. I don't speak a lick of German, but if I cruise a German tarantula site, if the names are in Latin I have no problem understanding and navigating.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Having studied Latin the scientific names are no problem for me. Even so, pronunciation is not easy. And lets not forget there is a difference in scientific Latin and Church Latin when it comes to pronunciation of some things.

Maybe we need a less dead language for creating scientific names. Just for newly discovered or created ones - like Navaho or Greek or maybe Esperanto.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think scientific names and common names must stay! Not every beginner is willing to learn scientific names, and and common names is there just to make life a little easier. So everyone doesnt have to spell everything out! I use both!

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
English only?

Latin names are the best we've got, but they have a level of confusion associated with them also. Lasiodora cristata is now Nhandu chromatus, and it didn't become a Lasiodora until 2001. Before that it was a Vitalius. And even within a species, there can exist sub-species and color varieties that look very different. Think of all the races within Homo sapiens. Still, despite the reclassifying, lumping, and splitting of taxonomists, the scientific names are internationlly recognized and provide the "best," albeit imperfect, way to identify an animal. As for pronunciation, Anglicize it if you like. Just be sure to get in all the syllables. No one can attest to what would be a "proper" Latin pronunciation anyway.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Cory Loomis said:
Latin names are the best we've got, but they have a level of confusion associated with them also. Lasiodora cristata is now Nhandu chromatus, and it didn't become a Lasiodora until 2001. Before that it was a Vitalius.
NOOOooooooo :wall:

P.S N.chromatus never was L.cristata use the search.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry for the communication failure

FryLock said:
NOOOooooooo :wall:

P.S N.chromatus never was L.cristata use the search.
Did use the search. The spider currently called Nhandu chromatus was formerly called Lasiodora cristata within the trade. I won't presume to argue the validity of any name since I'm not a taxonomist by trade or avocation. I'm just saying that even with the scientific name, confusion can exist.

knottyduke

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree that confussion does exsist within the scientific names, but that has more to do with the lack of proper research. Too many times if a T looks like something else people tend to classify it and then latter it is discovered that it is not of that species at all.

As the hobby progresses and the demand for more work to be done gets higher I hope this will stop and end a lot of arguments over the names. Given time it should happen.

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You forgot to have an option that says: keep both...

No way scientific names are going...its just irrational, and common names shouldn't go anywhere either because its much more interesting and easier for starters...

but you if have to pick one, and one only, then I would also get rid of common names...

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
we think common names should be banned from the world! some of you may remember a thread i posted about some T's that where at our local pet store each time i went there they had a new name for them and they were the same T's i looked at a few days back..scientific names should be the only name for them and petstore owers/workers should have to take a class and learn them but that is just our opinion

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Cory Loomis said:
I'm just saying that even with the scientific name, confusion can exist.
the BIG problem is, that the pet trade is often using the scientific names like common names. => the scientific names are given by random (e.g. IDed by a photo only with no further examination; it's imported from country XY, so it get's the species name from a species which is known from there; there is only one species described in a genus, so the spiderlings which have been bought e.g. as Orphnaecus sp. get the species name O. pellitus >>click here<<; etc. pp.) ! =;-(

all the best,
Martin

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
azztigma said:
You forgot to have an option that says: keep both...

No way scientific names are going...its just irrational, and common names shouldn't go anywhere either because its much more interesting and easier for starters...

but you if have to pick one, and one only, then I would also get rid of common names...
Yes, I knew I was forgetting something when I posted it. :8o

I would agree that the common names are indeed more interesting, but easier???? I think that's open for debate. As far as pronouncing them, yes, it's easier but when it comes to species ID, it's murder!

I have yet to see, or hear as the case may be, anyone who is fluent at pronouncing all these latin names, I know I'm sure not but even seeing a latin name written down, we automatically know what specis it is, with a bit of time and practice of course. When we see "Grammostola pulchra", we know what it is but when we see "Bleck velvet bird eating tree burrowing spider from Hell" then the questions start. {D

So, I say, chunk the common names, they are nothing more than a pain in the butt.