Scolopendra sp. mintleg sexing

AddisonH

Arachnopeon
I wanted to share my experience and get advice on sexing centipedes. Today I decided to sex one of my two scolopendra mintlegs, I opted to do the cold water drowning method to knock it out. A dehaani I previously sexed was out in about 35 min, but the mintleg took 1 hour and 5 min to be completely knocked out. I did think it would take longer because these centipedes like humidity and are keen to water, but I did not expect it to take that long. After successfully sexing it, I put it back in its enclosure to recover. The centipede immediately started to slowly "drain" its self, but it only started moving around a small amount about an hour later. This was worrying to me because the dehaani seemed to fully recover in about 10-15 min. The mintleg gradually starting moving more until it seemed to have full mobility around 2 hours after being knocked out. It is now around 6 hours after and the centipede seems to be completely normal but I will continue to keep in eye on it. I am hesitant to sex the other mintleg this way after this experience. Thanks for any advice!

Attached are photos of the two mintlegs.

Attachments

Raptorr

Arachnosquire
I've heard using the drowning method on a pede when they are premolt could potentially cause issues, such as paralysis in some parts of their body, sluggish movement, and taking much, much longer to wake back up. Although I'm not certain if it can cause death or not, but I have seen someone say it possibly could.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I wanted to share my experience and get advice on sexing centipedes. Today I decided to sex one of my two scolopendra mintlegs, I opted to do the cold water drowning method to knock it out. A dehaani I previously sexed was out in about 35 min, but the mintleg took 1 hour and 5 min to be completely knocked out. I did think it would take longer because these centipedes like humidity and are keen to water, but I did not expect it to take that long. After successfully sexing it, I put it back in its enclosure to recover. The centipede immediately started to slowly "drain" its self, but it only started moving around a small amount about an hour later. This was worrying to me because the dehaani seemed to fully recover in about 10-15 min. The mintleg gradually starting moving more until it seemed to have full mobility around 2 hours after being knocked out. It is now around 6 hours after and the centipede seems to be completely normal but I will continue to keep in eye on it. I am hesitant to sex the other mintleg this way after this experience. Thanks for any advice!

Attached are photos of the two mintlegs.
I’d be worried you would kill it with that method , clear container could work? I don’t understand sexing pedes tho .

Last edited:

AddisonH

Arachnopeon
I've heard using the drowning method on a pede when they are premolt could potentially cause issues, such as paralysis in some parts of their body, sluggish movement, and taking much, much longer to wake back up. Although I'm not certain if it can cause death or not, but I have seen someone say it possibly could.
Thank you for the info. I can definitely see how that could cause issues.

AddisonH

Arachnopeon
I’d be worried you would kill it with that method , clear container could work? I don’t understand sexing pedes tho .
unfortunately to sex them you have to "pop" out their sexual organs, but they have to be completely relaxed to do this hence the knocking out. Death is a risk though.

Raptorr

Arachnosquire
unfortunately to sex them you have to "pop" out their sexual organs, but they have to be completely relaxed to do this hence the knocking out. Death is a risk though.
It's actually possible to sex centipedes without knocking them out. You can use welding gloves to get control of the head and use your other hand without a glove for more dexterity to pop them. It's possible to use a towel or something similar, but there's more risk of being bitten involved.

AddisonH

Arachnopeon
It's actually possible to sex centipedes without knocking them out. You can use welding gloves to get control of the head and use your other hand without a glove for more dexterity to pop them. It's possible to use a towel or something similar, but there's more risk of being bitten involved.
I have heard of that but I will attach a thread that made me weary of this method. Is this how you personally do it?

Raptorr

Arachnosquire
I have heard of that but I will attach a thread that made me weary of this method. Is this how you personally do it?

I'm fairly certain the person in that thread just pressed too hard and had nothing to do with it being awake during it or not. I personally have not used that method, but I know somebody who has done it with success more than once.