Scolopendra Venom

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just use the term "Medically Significant," which doesn't imply lethality, but gives a clear indicator that it is not any fun. If you were to get bit you might end up going to the hospital if it is available, and your having severe reactions (say from an allergic reaction).

My two cents
nepenthes

Gel

Arachnoknight
I think this is an important topic for educating others so...bump

Gel

Arachnoknight
I'm a bit dissapointed right now.

I was watching an episode of Python Hunters. They were in Puerto Rico and came across Scolopendra alternans. The "python hunters" or snake experts on the show are great. One of them warned/implied that their bites are not something to be taken lightly. He even let it crawl on his hand. No problem with them; they know their stuff, even beyond reptiles.

HOWEVER, the NARRATOR of the show said (can't remember the exact wording) that they have been known to kill humans (speaking of centipedes).

THE REALITY is this is simply NOT TRUE. It is more complicated than a blanket statement.

Check out this link and the authoritative response from Dr. Rowland in regards to the subject of centipede bite lethality. He is an expert on myriapods.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/565413

I wanted to bump this thread because I believe it is important to educate on this topic.

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Don't be too disappointed. Infotainment takes only a cursory look at the available information on any given subject. You can't make people seek out other sources of information aside from what they see/hear on the idiot box. Well...you caannn, but you'll need celebrity endorsement first ;)

Gel

Arachnoknight
Don't be too disappointed. Infotainment takes only a cursory look at the available information on any given subject. You can't make people seek out other sources of information aside from what they see/hear on the idiot box. Well...you caannn, but you'll need celebrity endorsement first ;)
So true zonbonzovi.

It's the same type of BS that is going on with Discovery's "Shark Week" which is full of sensationalism and false information making sharks seem like monsters.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I wish I could accuse you of being cynical. As the old saying goes, 'You can lead a horse to water but... there's a 50-50 chance it will just poop or pee in it as take a drink.

wil123

Arachnopeon
I think the poison could be compared to Stromatopelma calceatum.I can see a little person some thing like 100 pounds being seriously affected and potentially death.Asfar as the http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00176-0111.pdf link the women could be 5 foot nothing and 98 pounds and being allergic to bee stings couldn't have helped and S. heros in GA that is a lie I live in GA and have never bin forchinet enough to find one of these beautiful beasts.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I think the poison could be compared to Stromatopelma calceatum.I can see a little person some thing like 100 pounds being seriously affected and potentially death.Asfar as the http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00176-0111.pdf link the women could be 5 foot nothing and 98 pounds and being allergic to bee stings couldn't have helped and S. heros in GA that is a lie I live in GA and have never bin forchinet enough to find one of these beautiful beasts.
Shock from a bite, the shock syndrome, be it anaphylactic, septicemic or even psychogenic, by itself can cause death. It is always a potential significant contributor that should never be underestimated.

Gel

Arachnoknight
Nothing can be ruled out; that I understand. However, these days, humans generally know what is lethal and what is not ie. the specific species of this animal or that animal is known to be lethal. Scolopendridae and other large centipedes are found on almost all continents and are known to be drawn to areas humans inhabit. This means many encounters with children and adults. If these creatures were truly the risk many make them out to be, surely there would be reports of lethality due to primary or secondary effects and not the sparse few, poorly documented, unsubstantiated reports. For example, there is no arguing that Hottentotta tamulus is a scorpion who's sting is considered fatal to many humans but if giant centipedes are so bad, why the unsubstantiated claims?

Again I will post the following:

Check out this link and the authoritative response from Dr. Rowland in regards to the subject of centipede bite lethality. He is an expert on myriapods.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/565413

Last edited:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I remember when the bite described in the article occurred. The woman bitten was a friend of a co-worker of mine. My co-worker came in to work one morning and told me about her friend having been bitten while she was lying in bed. She felt something crawling across her and grabbed at it - with bad results. Around here it's not rare to find Scolopendra heros in the house. One of the specimens I currently have in my collection crawled across my bare foot early one morning while I was checking my e-mails. Not having any cups or containers handy, but not wanting to let it get away, I got it to climb across my hands until I could get it to another room where I had a container to put it in. Not the way I wold prefer to catch these guys - but certainly better than grabbing them.

remainpositive

Arachnosquire
Around here it's not rare to find Scolopendra heros in the house. One of the specimens I currently have in my collection crawled across my bare foot early one morning while I was checking my e-mails. Not having any cups or containers handy, but not wanting to let it get away, I got it to climb across my hands until I could get it to another room where I had a container to put it in. Not the way I wold prefer to catch these guys - but certainly better than grabbing them.
Please I'm begging you to tell me where you are located I've been trying for ages to find just one and in so many places and I can't find any.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
On the right side of the screen it says that his location is "near Tucson, Arizona...

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
On the right side of the screen it says that his location is "near Tucson, Arizona...
Well, "near Tucson" covers a lot of area and different types of terrain. I live southeast of Tucson at the south end of the Rincon Mountains. I've mostly seen S. heros on rocky hillsides, both limestone and granitic. Generally not too far from water or riparian area. Their need for moisture means they will not spend daylight hours on or near the surface during the hottest days. Other than that - it's still largely a matter of luck. I've had less luck deliberately looking for them than just living in their habitat and seeing them suddenly appear. Once you see one the real fun begins. Trying to catch one as it runs for cover can be a challenge, since you are most likely to see them among a lot of hiding places.