Scorpion Breeding Info - links/books or anything that can help

MarkNaja

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I am after some info on general breeding information and then more specific species, I bred scorpions many years ago but that was by mistake, I have always been really an invert hobbyist and keeper and not too interested in breeding I have been trying now.
I recently paired my H. Franzwerni,I separated my male after about 2 months in with the female, the female was much more interested in food and spends 95% of her time on hot side of the enclosure and seemed to be more defensive than before(maybe its just my hopes I see this?). Anyway, I was doing my general checks on my scorpions while using my black light and I noticed something have never seen before, it was this yellow hard/crumbly thing that lit up as bright as the scorpions biofluorescence themselves, I posted on some groups and had a few good answers, poop(as viable as it makes sense i never seen it ever before but h. franzwerneri i keep different from my other species) or discarded infertile eggs but not all my questions where answered and I would love to read and learn more. I cant really find that much information on a lot of the ins and outs.

I have google searched and really found not much on how things go about and more like detailed that I can read and learn. I find facebook groups, forums and breeders great for information when they people have time to help then again I feel like I don't want to annoy or feel like a burden by asking some questions that some may find "stupid" or someone who has "better things to do than answer 101 questions" but I would want something I can spend more time myself reading about these and people who have had much success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
The hard yellow clump is likely infertile eggs, although I've never noticed the bioluminescence on them under blacklight. Can't say I've tried shining them, and only had infertiles happen a few times.
Your H. franzwerneri seems likely gravid. You should see her bloat up over the next few months, then you know.

For general breeding info, the important things are making sure there is a good surface for the male to deposit the spermatophore. This can be a flat rock, piece of cork or wood. Keep an eye on the behavior; are they both interested or does one try to get away, is there aggression etc. Separate and try again later if necessary. For communal species, watch the behavior the first hour/few hours or so to determine if they can be left together. Always make sure environmental conditions are good and both male and female are well fed.
That's the most important tips to keep in mind. Can't think of any links describing it in detail.

MarkNaja

Arachnopeon
The hard yellow clump is likely infertile eggs, although I've never noticed the bioluminescence on them under blacklight. Can't say I've tried shining them, and only had infertiles happen a few times.
Your H. franzwerneri seems likely gravid. You should see her bloat up over the next few months, then you know.

For general breeding info, the important things are making sure there is a good surface for the male to deposit the spermatophore. This can be a flat rock, piece of cork or wood. Keep an eye on the behavior; are they both interested or does one try to get away, is there aggression etc. Separate and try again later if necessary. For communal species, watch the behavior the first hour/few hours or so to determine if they can be left together. Always make sure environmental conditions are good and both male and female are well fed.
That's the most important tips to keep in mind. Can't think of any links describing it in detail.
Thanks! I hope she is but time will tell.

I have read about the flat rock and cork bark so i did add a lot to the enclosure, i fed more often, they didnt eat lots before but when i fed they seemed so much more interested, i seen them court also.
Thanks again for your comment back and some specific info, appreciate it!

HOITrance

Arachnopeon
I think Shaun eXotic on youtube has bred them but I cant remember. I am also pretty sure Brandon Russell of Arachnid Rarities has. Could try contacting one of them for advice.