scorpion handling Vs. Tarantula handling

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got an emperor and hes always giving me threat postures. then again he is a youngster(approx. 4 inches). im gonna wait for awhile to handle him
The threat postures won't stop. They don't ever really become "tame". Use some tongs or your hand and grab the tail segment right underneath his stinger. He might be able to reach up and pinch you, but DO NOT loosen your grip. Place him on one of your hands and TA-DA! you're now holding an emp.

I'm not telling you to do this, but that's how I would handle my emp :)

Last edited:

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are always to hold or not to hold debates and both sides have valid points. I am not against holding, because I have done it, still do it and will continue to do so. I don't hold my T's or scorps on what you would call a regular basis. Just when I feel there is a reason for it. I have kept many species of T's and scorps for over 20 years. I've only been bitten by one T and stung once by a C. vittatus.
As far as holding either? I'll hold a scorp over a T. In my experiences, scorps seem to be a little more predictable.;)

RichardMorris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Honestly, if you want a "pet" you can handle, get a cat or a dog. I tend to think Darwin is at work when people handle anything deadly. Eventually your luck will run out. And just because you don't have a bad reaction to a sting (or bite) doesn't mean you won't have an allergic reaction the next time.

I enjoy WATCHING my scorpions. No handling necessary. I have 2 B. Jacksoni's and 6 Death Stalker;s (Leiurus quinquestriatus). Both are active species and provide lots of entertainment as well as the beauty. No way would I think of handling either.

Richard

p.s. spiders give me the creeps anyway.

Last edited:

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Besides, there is no way you can EVER predict what any animal will do. As soon as you think you can you will regret it. There are many tools out there that eliminate the need to handle an animal. Tools that exist are not just tweezers and such. There are other methods. Humans have gone to the moon for crying out loud. I'm sure that there are ways to effectively and safely handle these animals just as easily as handling them. ;)

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IMO if i had to handle one, i would choose scorps because all a T has to do is bite straight down, and scorps cant really attack things directly below it...
I got tagged sideways by a hentzi.

Lakrieger

Arachnopeon
Honestly, if you want a "pet" you can handle, get a cat or a dog. I tend to think Darwin is at work when people handle anything deadly. Eventually your luck will run out. And just because you don't have a bad reaction to a sting (or bite) doesn't mean you won't have an allergic reaction the next time.

I enjoy WATCHING my scorpions. No handling necessary. I have 2 B. Jacksoni's and 6 Death Stalker;s (Leiurus quinquestriatus). Both are active species and provide lots of entertainment as well as the beauty. No way would I think of handling either.

Richard

p.s. spiders give me the creeps anyway.

Or (from my exp) rats seems more docile than cats and dogs, + their nice and small and easy to handle, they actually loved being handled I miss mine dearly, before Some get weirded out by the idea of pet rats, here's a memorial video I made of my Favorite boy Gomer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXcVj-HwpwE

anyways I have two questions for you experts out there. Is scorpion venom chemically different thans Bee's venom? would there be a possibly I could be allegic to scorpion venom even though i'm not allegic to bee venom?

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My 2cents
I do a lot of arachnid public relations. I have done it in schools and out of schools. And I will be danged if I am taking an Emperor out in front of 2 classrooms of 3rd graders shoved into 1 classroom without the scorpion being held by multiple people at the coffee shop, with music and dogs, and chatter. There is a patio I take them and my friends will all hold them. They have to be cool with us for a couple hours at the coffee shop, once at night with black light going on and off, before they get to go to class. Coincidentally, I had one escape my grasp and end up on my back in front of the last class. It took 10 minutes of me wiggling around, telling jokes, I even did a little dance for a minute, trying to get the thing back in control. I got it up on my shoulder and it pinched me twice on the ear before I got it on my hand. WOW Those kids had a blast and probably still talk about it!

So anyway, um, if you don't feel comfortable don't. But if you are willing to get pinched and/or stung. Do it, just read up first and do it as well as possible. If you are going to get it out in front of your friends one day. You better do it by yourself first you know? But I had a T bite me for 15 minutes once. I'm not scared of what the emperor can do to me. I can deal with the consequences. I certainly worry about getting in the car more (in regards to my own safety). And as for theirs, I agree that is your concern when/if you hold them. And it will make their life a little less safe. But it's still 100% safer than the forest for them! Just different danger. They are pretty tough though. Just be careful if you do this. And if they sting or pinch, GRIN AND BARE IT. Channel your pain, go to your happy place, whatever, just don't kill it cause YOU had to hold a scorpion!!

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The process of picking up a scorpion is more scary then actually handling a scorpion.

And yeah, scorpions whip and use their tails for balance and support which could inenvertably(sp) sting you.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have about 140 Ts and 8 scorpions(at the moment), and I handle everything. The ones that have ever hurt me are my O. boehmi and my female P. imperator. The O. boehmi will get its claws into your cuticle if you pick him up by the tail(I just guide him onto my hand now). The P. imperator will continually find something to pinch while she is on my hand(sometimes she does get a soft spot).

Art

The_Sandman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im new to this hobby ,and i have no intentions of picking up my emp or my blondi. i like to view them from a distance,lol i move them around with a wooden salad spoon .