Selection motivation

gobey

Arachnoknight
I also can't wait to get my first b. smithi... I always thought they were beautiful, but the fact that they are a 'collection staple' does also add to it. Kind of like a rite of passage.

I've also made impulse/rescue buys, two of the T's I have I bought because I felt sorry for them because of the horrible condition the pet store was keeping them in (no hide, ridiculously sized water dish, shoved inside of a tiny container with no room to move, not to mention three hopping crickets shoved in there with it)

Anyways, good question, it's a fun topic to discuss.
I impulse rescued a B. smithi sling the other week. :)

Anyways. As much as I have this huge wishlist of Ts that interest me. A lot of them are either eventual buys for the future. Or I'm saving to replace any that pass away. Not every T lives 30 years. I think I should always have a big South American terrestrial with an appetite. I started with LPs. One died after a molt sadly. Now I have a 4" female. She'll last a while. But when she's gone I think either a geniculata or a Pamphobetus will have to take her place.

I need a Euathlus sp. red at some point. That's a temperament thing influencing that. And definitely a B. emilia. Solely for their coloration.
For both of those species I'll bite the bullet to bypass slow growth and guessing games and but a confirmed female of some size. Worth it whenever I do.

Now aside from that... I have been narrowly honed in on baboons and Poecilotheria. I refuse to get any more pokies until I've raised up my 2 P. regalis slings. But I really can't stop looking at subfuscas.

As for baboons. They're awesome. I really love Heteroscodra. And I've recently fallen in love with my new C. marshalli and darlingi. They're really cool.

I have a beautiful OBT too. But she's decided to wall herself away for the past 5 months. I have decided they're overrated. Even though they're gorgeous. She's very chill though. So far. However I think I won't get another after her. I had some OBT slings But they were a headache to care for.

I really want a P. muticus for my next one.

I thought burrowers wouldn't interest me. But the Ceratogyrus burrows and tunnels are awesome. So I'd love to see what a muticus does.

My OBT being completely invisible however is a bummer.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i trust in the stars.. point and shoot..if it works it works if not.. i make it.... lol just kidding.. im always reading on species and decide on whats best for me based off of alot.. colors, attitude, growth rate [i hate snail growers] my confidence, variation to current collection [which i have 2 random "uncommon" T's coming in with an order and it makes me nervous yet excited lol] what species interests me [which iv fell in love with Phormictopus and Psalmopoeus so i do eyeball those fairly often.] what others recomend in my level, and what i love [which is why ima try get my gbbs to breed and buy a few more T/ sp panama lmaooo]

i do have a wishlist[not all son ab page], but i have no particular order which ill get them.. i plan most of my T's out a month or 3 in advance.. with only 2 impulse buys [which was on my list but not quite a "get this next" area lol] XD

---------- Post added 04-19-2015 at 11:23 PM ----------

I don't have size preference really, I'm not into dwarfs though..
"giggity"..lol
dont lie lolla you knoe that you love my Sp. "Panama" ;) lol which is like the ONLY dwarf id buy.. maybe H.incei gold but thats a long shot ;D

Last edited:

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I'm into variety as well and would like to keep my tarantula collection small, so I have a list made out of the species I want to get and they all vary pretty wildly in appearence. If two species have a similar look, like say N. chromatus and A. genic, I'll only pick one out of the two. Temperament is a big deciding factor there, but as for size I really have no preference. If it's beautiful it can be a dwarf or a Godzilla opponent for all I care.

My only weakness are the blue tarantulas. Hopefully I get a female out of the three GBB's I'm raising right now, but I'm also really tempted to get a T. ockerti and O. diamantinensis despite them looking extremely similar.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
"giggity"..lol
dont lie lolla you knoe that you love my Sp. "Panama" ;) lol which is like the ONLY dwarf id buy.. maybe H.incei gold but thats a long shot ;D
Okay okay you got me lol! Yours is kinda cute, but you'll need a microscope to locate it, I mean it's TINY. Lol. The only dwarf on my wish list as of now is H. Incei, I like the colouration on those

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Okay okay you got me lol! Yours is kinda cute, but you'll need a microscope to locate it, I mean it's TINY. Lol. The only dwarf on my wish list as of now is H. Incei, I like the colouration on those
Hey now, s/he molted and is at LEAST a solid 1/3-1/2" now but should get up to 4ish inches so may not be small for too much longer, genic#2 is smallest T now ^.^

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I took T size to mean "age" not adult size.
I am finding I only want sub-adult females at this point.
I have 4 slings currently (actually, G pulchripes is getting closer to sub-adult at this point, so 3 slings) and I guess I am just too impatient. I expect the B albo to mature by the time I retire.
S L O W.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Not your average woman!
No sir! The colors, the attitude, the things they build are all amazing. Not too keen on their bites but that didn't stop me. Nothing like a tiny ezendami asking for a hug to brighten your day :giggle:

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
No sir! The colors, the attitude, the things they build are all amazing. Not too keen on their bites but that didn't stop me. Nothing like a tiny ezendami asking for a hug to brighten your day :giggle:
you are speaking my language :biggrin:

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
I make my choices based around hardiness and speed. I'm clumsy and don't feel ready to deal with any speedy species as of yet.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I make my choices based around hardiness and speed. I'm clumsy and don't feel ready to deal with any speedy species as of yet.
That's good, you know your limits. There's no rush, enjoy what you have. There's hundreds of species in the hobby today, beautiful ones for every experience level. We argue with a number of beginners every year that insist on starting off with OBT's...and in a few months have a spider they're afraid of.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
That's good, you know your limits. There's no rush, enjoy what you have. There's hundreds of species in the hobby today, beautiful ones for every experience level. We argue with a number of beginners every year that insist on starting off with OBT's...and in a few months have a spider they're afraid of.
+1 love that other newbies know their boundaries.. never understood why a newbie wanted a P. met or 'Pterrors' for first T's "but its so pretty! i must have it!" -.- there seemingly endless amounts of beginer T's who are atractive. maybe not pure blue or orange but just as pretty imo

theres a local kid[well 26 y/o] i told him not to get a P.saz and obt as first T's now he has them in setups with 2 sliding barrier tops.. one removes to put feeders on the other.. the 2nd one slides out once the first has been re-placed to push the feeders off, dropping them in the cage "because they are freaking crazy tarantulas, they nearly kill me every day i add water" -.- to me that is just SAD if your too scared to open your cage... and you cant enjoy your T's because of fear, or wont get anymore out of fear... something needs fixed.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
I kinda pity those people, they don't know what they are missing by skipping ahead. The people who say "I don't want any of the ladder species just an OBT/Pokie/etc" and I say to that "Well how do you know you won't like the other species until you try?". I understand that people have space limitations but there is this magical thing called the postal service and internet, once you're "done" with a spider you can sell it to someone who will enjoy it while you move on. There are several spiders that I wasn't super ga ga over them but they have grown to be favorites while others I don't really like anymore and want to sell them. You change, you mature, you move on so your collection should evolve because of that.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I kinda pity those people, they don't know what they are missing by skipping ahead. The people who say "I don't want any of the ladder species just an OBT/Pokie/etc" and I say to that "Well how do you know you won't like the other species until you try?"
My biggest concern is that the impatient and reckless will bring down the hobby; worst of all, they won't even care because they're short timers in it for a quick thrill.

awiec

Arachnoprince
My biggest concern is that the impatient and reckless will bring down the hobby; worst of all, they won't even care because they're short timers in it for a quick thrill.
There is that issue as well, but I think some just genuinely are not aware of all the species out there. Most pet shops just have rosea, avics and then an OBT, it's quite obvious who is the most eye catching to people.

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am with Poec on this. I do not want to lose my hobby because someone who should not have a spider in the first place gets bit by a hot species of T on his latest and greatest thrill hunt. if my interests were not in jeopardy I would not care if some ignoramus got bit while letting his OBT crawl on his face but that is not the point in history that we are at and frankly I still would have a problem with the treatment of the tarantula in question but my freedom would not be in danger so I would have less to say about it. Where we are now we can ill afford bad press so to any one out there considering hot Ts be sure your ready and responsible enough to have them we want to put our hobby in the best possible light there is already a lot of bad press affecting the herp community we do not want that to come here as well.

---------- Post added 04-21-2015 at 01:29 PM ----------

As for collection selection I prefer arboreal Tarantulas for the most part I love avics and pokies but am equally fond of active burrowers Got a king baboon once as a freebie I loved the little guy he was always busy working on his excavations so really to me it has to be what I am interested in looking at and watching

cold blood

Staff member
So does anyone have a size preference that they start off with.
The faster they grow, the smaller size I prefer to get. Even with slower grower I would rather a juvenile to an adult. I enjoy watching the growth process.

Mad props sugarsandz!