Sheetweb spider information?

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This has turned into a great thread - thanks for all the info, folks!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I think we can clear some of the confusion here. The largest family of described spiders are the salticids, jumpers, at around 5000 species. Next are the Linyphiidae with around 4500* and then the theridiidae with around 2200.

The first problem dealing with Linyfuds is many are tiny and not readily identifiable, even under a microscope. Being so small and so numerous they are the big question mark family with members being newly identified or misidentified constantly, literally, they do the scrambled eggs bit of some portion of the family on a daily basis.

What do they look like? Aggravatingly nondescript. No unusual or remarkable aspects in color or shape.

Mature Linyfuds, depending on the make and model, average .5mm to 3mm, Nearly all make sheet webs, varying from several would fit on the average thumbnail up to a few inches or even a half foot across. One of their common modes of prey capture is to hang under the web and pull victims down through the sheet.

They are the ballooning fanatics of the spider world and even the mature adults will balloon. Sometimes large groups will balloon all at once, and clouds of them can be seen drifting about. Why they do this, a form of migration, is unknown.

*It has been estimated that most of the Linyfud family remains unidentified and described. Unlike other spider species, many simply don't display enough difference to tell them apart. One estimate I read was the expert wouldn't be surprised if there were 50,000 different species and sub species.
Phidippus is another genus of spider that will balloon as adults. I watched a large female audax balloon in from atop a tree.. totally surprised me, because she was about 18mm in body length o_o

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Phidippus is another genus of spider that will balloon as adults. I watched a large female audax balloon in from atop a tree.. totally surprised me, because she was about 18mm in body length o_o
That's impressive! How long was the thread??