Silliest T advice you've ever heard at a pet store

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feel sorry for the T that gets flung across the room to a shriek. To all the T's who are about to die (and have died from fear-flinging), I salute you.

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i guess its a good thing...

a week ago i went into the Local Petco,and i havent seen any T's latley so i asked about it,and they said,the're store is Not allowed to sell Inverts no more.,.,so i guess enough people complained.:rolleyes: :clap:

NinjaPirate

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Overheard an employee talking to a mother and her daughter about the 5" rosea on his hand:
"...and their bite is no more painful than a mosquito!"

God help us if mosquito bites hurt like a Ts:(
I don't know about you, but I'd rather get bit by some of my T's than by the mosquitoes I get here in MN.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That guy is a dumbass - plain and simple. Anyone who actually believes that is in the same boat as common sense would tell you that the mechanical damage alone, from 1/8" diameter fangs, would be more painful than a mosquito bite.

I usually play with salesmen when they spit out blatant lies like that. I'll play along and offer my own equally, but usually more, ridiculous facts and see if they catch on. More often than not they don't.

Overheard an employee talking to a mother and her daughter about the 5" rosea on his hand:

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually play with salesmen when they spit out blatant lies like that. I'll play along and offer my own equally, but usually more, ridiculous facts and see if they catch on. More often than not they don't.
Please tell me that you finally clue them in on their own idiocy after having your fun with them. Otherwise I could easily see some LPS employees regurgitating those "facts" to other customers.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of course, I make it quite obvious that I was testing the limits of their gullibility and that they are full of it. That's half the fun. :D

Please tell me that you finally clue them in on their own idiocy after having your fun with them. Otherwise I could easily see some LPS employees regurgitating those "facts" to other customers.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I'd like to hear stories of this :D

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
haha, thanks for clarifying that. ;)

but now, that employee is going to tell everyone that the "T expert" said they didn't have claws... hahaha
Hopefully she's not the one who will be selling the T's to customers. She did say that she tries to stay as far away from them as possible, and we met up in the fish department, so one can hope. :eek:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Yeah, a mosquito weilding a couple of ice picks!

arachna-nono

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Something that drives me nuts.... my boss is constantly telling people that scorpions are about like a bee sting. The guy has NEVER been stung, and while he may be referring to our Emperors (when was the last time someone was actually stung by an emperor?!), we also carry Desert Hairys, Asian Forests, Olive keeled, Tri-colors, etc. There are probably a LOT of idiots out there who seriously think getting stung by ANY scorpions is painless! :clap:

ROFLOL!! {D

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A good one was about a year ago. I got the standard, "all of our tarantula's are de-venomed" speech from a guy at Super Pet. When I was done with him he was talking to the section manager about the dangers of urticating hairs and that all the "really good shops that know what they are doing" shave them periodically. :D:D

To be honest, with that guy, I thought he was just playing my game right back and humouring me but when he went and told his manager I was convinced that he wasn't playing. His manager knows me though and picked up on it right away. ;)

I'd like to hear stories of this :D

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hitchcock woulda made that work ;)

A good one was about a year ago. I got the standard, "all of our tarantula's are de-venomed" speech from a guy at Super Pet. When I was done with him he was talking to the section manager about the dangers of urticating hairs and that all the "really good shops that know what they are doing" shave them periodically. :D:D
I choked on my cereal :eek: {D I've always wanted a poodle more than a tarantula anyway...

On topic, the LPS I frequent is Nature, and their staff, to their credit, are not total wackjobs when it comes to Ts. Although, they're mostly herp people :)

Last edited:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
probably my worst experiance I've had at a petstore was at a store called "pets R us" and they tried selling me an OBT as a friendly handleable species.

also most of their set ups/cages/enclosures were crap. :evil:

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mmmm... I love cereal for dinner! :D

Yah, I felt like a bit of a jerk afterwards, but only for a second, because the guy wasn't being cocky or anything. He was just misinformed and he really was taking in what I was saying regardless of the BS nature of it.

I have a very wacky personality that way though.

I choked on my cereal :eek: {D I've always wanted a poodle more than a tarantula anyway...

On topic, the LPS I frequent is Nature, and their staff, to their credit, are not total wackjobs when it comes to Ts. Although, they're mostly herp people :)

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know there are really bad pet stores out there but people do not seem to realise that,without such pet stores,we would not have this hobby or at least the vast majority would not anyway.
My 2 cents worth.
paul

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, we realize it. The problem is that people purchase animals from these places and are given completely incorrect and downright dangerous care information. In my opinion, that does much more harm to the hobby than good.

If someone buys an emaciated bearded dragon, for example, from one of these hell holes, takes it home and sets it up on it's shiny new heat rock (The employee told them they needed one of those for the animal's health. They are a high margin item, you know?). The animal then has severe problems requiring expensive vet care (burns, perhaps mites from bad conditions at the store, etc.) or, worse yet, it just dies. This leaves a bad taste in people's mouths and scares them away from the hobby.

This is a spider forum ;), so using a tarantula example from this thread; Someone takes home their cute, cuddy, totally docile, orange spider that, if it did bite them, would only be like a tiny mosquito bite. Their young child goes to tickle it under the 'chin' like a hamster and gets tagged.

Now we've got another group of people who believe these are dangerous creatures that need to be banned. How is this good for the hobby?

The hobby would be alive and well without misinformed pet shop employees pushing sales of these animals. It may be very slightly smaller but dedicated, ambitious hobbyists would still be bringing in new and exciting species to keep us occupied.

I don't entirely disagree with your post - pet shops are good for the hobby in the way that they expose more people to it but I do disagree that "really bad pet stores" help the hobby. It's the good pet stores, with employees who are willing to learn and actually care for the animals they sell (instead of pushing high margin garbage) that help this hobby.

I know there are really bad pet stores out there but people do not seem to realise that,without such pet stores,we would not have this hobby or at least the vast majority would not anyway.
My 2 cents worth.
paul

Last edited:

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am just saying that it is not a good idea to slag them all off......some are very good if not most.
We have a "name and shame" thing over here........seems to work too.
The dodgy pet stores soon get the message without destroying their business which we don't normally want.
I also never once said that "bad pet stores" are good for the hobby.
I can see your point and agree that bad stores need reporting but there are also very good pet stores out there,
I am mainly a snake person,as well as owning frogs and scorps as well as 25 + T's so have seen it all by the way.
Paul

Last edited:

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not always but, personally, I feel it's a responsibility to inform others if there is a problem somewhere. I would feel like a complete ass if I saw deplorable living conditions at a shop then learned of a friend who got ripped off because they bought an animal there that died a few days later.

I think this thread is more of a fun thing to tell about our experiences. Not necessarily to destroy someone's business. Actually, most of the posts don't even mention the name of a shop in particular. We're all smart enough to know a bad shop when we walk into one.

I would really like to see a "LPS Employee's Revenge" thread started though because I'm sure they've heard a few doozies from ignorant customers who just know everything. I'd start it myself but, since I'm really bad for screwing with ignorant employees, that would be hypocritical of me. :D

In my sales days, I came across quite a few customers who insisted that what they were saying was 100% correct despite all common-sense or reason.

I am just saying that it is not a good idea to slag them all off......some are very good if not most.
We have a "name and shame" thing over here........seems to work too.
The dodgy pet stores soon get the message without destroying their business which we don't normally want.
Paul

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It is not normally never ever done over here,a name and shame but when things are so bad there are lots of bad posts about a peticular shop,they do get get named and shamed and most of them do read the threads on the forums.
These shops then buck up their ideas which is always a good thing.
ps...how did you get your BTS thing on the side.....I want my membership of the BTS shown too.....lol ?
Paul