Sling buried itself after molting

dreamingblue

Arachnopeon
I just got my first T sling, a G. pulchra, the other day after wanting one pretty much forever and about an hour after I set it up in its enclosure, I found its exuvia laying on top of the substrate. It was just a quick glance at first so I thought it was my deceased spiderling and I just sat there for a minute thinking “of course this would happen to me” but then I looked back and realized it was just its shed molt, and my sling was in its pre started burrow. Cut to the next day and I get home from work, and my sling completely took its burrow and buried itself in it. Its been a couple days so I guess I’m just not sure what to do and wondering if I should be concerned? I’ve heard of slings doing this in pre molt but mine seemed fine even up until a little after it was finished. It was just chilling and walking around a little. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Coradams

Arachnoknight
If it just molted, it may be waiting in the relative safety of its burrow for its new exoskeleton to harden. No worries.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Being a tarantula keeper is being patient in other word, and simply learning how to wait.

Wait:

1. To choose
2. To get one
3. To feed
4. Till molt
5. To feed
6. Till molt
7. Repeat 3 through 6 (with occasional rehousings)

dreamingblue

Arachnopeon
I think the worst part about waiting for me is feeling like I’m not doing enough for them but if its what you guys think I should do then thats what’ll happen. Thank youu

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
WAIT-- listen man, a T needs virtually no intervention from a human, almost NEVER. WAIT WAIT WAIT

Glad to see another member use the same word I've been using this past year for an answer.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I think the worst part about waiting for me is feeling like I’m not doing enough for them
Sometimes this is the best thing you can do for them. ;)

Fill the water bowl up if it dries out. Other than that, just wait till it comes out on its own.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
and don't buy an A bicoloratum. Because if you are freaking about not seeing your T for a couple days..........
When you do less, you are doing more grasshopper.
Fight the impulse to intervene, it is usually not for the best
Ts teach us patience and control

dreamingblue

Arachnopeon
Not really freaking just wondering lol but I actually was looking at a bicoloratum so good to know. Can’t wait to get to the point where I won't need to ask silly questions like you all

But thanks everyone for the advice!

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
What size enclosure and what size sling? Any pics of the enclosure? I don't have experience with g. pulchra specifically, but have read advice on here about keeping slings in smaller (suitable) sized enclosures to help avoid burrowing etc.
I recently tried with my Pamphobeteus slings and had some success. I dug one out of its burrow _after_ its molt, but waited a good week after it molted before doing so, as it needs to harden. After digging out and rehousing in a smaller enclosure without enough sub for it to burrow, it's now eating like a pig... had I not rehoused it and left it burrowed, who knows when it would have come out. I could have been waiting for days, weeks or even months based on some stories I've read.
Not saying don't wait, but maybe a little more info about housing can help.

dreamingblue

Arachnopeon
What size enclosure and what size sling? Any pics of the enclosure? I don't have experience with g. pulchra specifically, but have read advice on here about keeping slings in smaller (suitable) sized enclosures to help avoid burrowing etc.
I recently tried with my Pamphobeteus slings and had some success. I dug one out of its burrow _after_ its molt, but waited a good week after it molted before doing so, as it needs to harden. After digging out and rehousing in a smaller enclosure without enough sub for it to burrow, it's now eating like a pig... had I not rehoused it and left it burrowed, who knows when it would have come out. I could have been waiting for days, weeks or even months based on some stories I've read.
Not saying don't wait, but maybe a little more info about housing can help.
Its probably about an inch now and the enclosure might be a little big for it but I wanted to make sure it had as much substrate as it could need so most of the enclosure is substrate. That makes a lot of sense though obviously giving it less room to burrow would limit its digging and make it come out or stay out more I don't know why I didnt think of that. I was gonna wait about a week to go near it anyway to feed it, maybe I’ll try to rehouse it then? That might be a good thing though because I’m not super happy with how its enclosure turned out anyway. How did you do it? Any suggestions for how big of an enclosure I should move it to would be great too 😄
This is the enclosure with the lid off so you can see the mound its under on the left, and a medical mask for scale lol
image.jpg

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
It doesn't look terribly big (what's that 5" length?), but definitely enough sub to encourage burrowing. Look at some recent posts from @cold blood for some good examples of sling enclosures that prevent burrowing.
Mine still tries to burrow with about 2" substrate, but ends up hitting the aquifer layer (gravel) and stops.

See this thread post#4

dreamingblue

Arachnopeon
I’m definitely getting a better idea of what to do now. A smaller enclosure becoming its burrow instead of it digging to the middle of the substrate to make a burrow and never coming out sounds much better. The box is about 5” but I think when I rehome it after a while maybe I’ll use the same one, I’ll just use less substrate. I do have something a little smaller though so maybe that’ll be better. I’ll figure it out haha thanks so much Jumbie you've helped a lot

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I would actually worry about the size of the holes. Always keep in mind: If the carapace fits through the whole spider will.
So, yes, depending on the size of your sling I'd go for something way smaller. But wait with the rehouse until it has hardened up.

Something like this should be suitable:

20181012_water dish example2.jpg

dreamingblue

Arachnopeon
Smaller enclosure, less substrate, and smaller vent holes got it. I would love for my T to not escape so I’ll add a bunch of smaller holes that sounds safer. Thank you 😁

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Its probably about an inch now and the enclosure might be a little big for it but I wanted to make sure it had as much substrate as it could need so most of the enclosure is substrate. That makes a lot of sense though obviously giving it less room to burrow would limit its digging and make it come out or stay out more I don't know why I didnt think of that. I was gonna wait about a week to go near it anyway to feed it, maybe I’ll try to rehouse it then? That might be a good thing though because I’m not super happy with how its enclosure turned out anyway. How did you do it? Any suggestions for how big of an enclosure I should move it to would be great too 😄
This is the enclosure with the lid off so you can see the mound its under on the left, and a medical mask for scale lol
View attachment 370590
this looks fine if the T can't fit through those vents

It has plenty of room to dig. Did it leave a hole? They are burrowers

dreamingblue

Arachnopeon
this looks fine if the T can't fit through those vents

It has plenty of room to dig. Did it leave a hole? They are burrowers
I’m pretty sure it cant fit through the holes but better safe than sorry? I wouldnt mind making a new enclosure with different vent holes if it would be better. It didnt leave a hole to get out though its completely closed itself in and I cant see it from any side so I don’t know whats going on with it. I’m hoping its normal sling behavior especially because it just molted? I knew they burrow but I didnt know they made themselves tombs haha

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
if it has blockaded itself in it is most likely in molt. When you see the T again you will be able to assess the hole size. For now, it is waiting time, which can be hard. Hang in there