Solanum evolvulifolium

AzazelVL

Arachnopeon
Does anyone have any experience in putting Solanum evolvulifolium in a t's enclosure, some info online says it is poisonous so i got worried...

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Um I’m not sure Solanum is the best choice for a tarantula enclosure and you are probably seeing poison characteristics because some are nightshades but that poison is to humans for ingestion and I have no idea if it is to animals. That being said I do not recal S. evolvulifolium being a nightshade.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I use Solanum evolvulifolium in with my dart frogs. It's safe for animals but I wouldn't cut it up and eat it ;-).

That said, it needs high humidity which is not recommended with most (any?) tarantulas.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
All Solanum are nightshades, but that doesnt mean too much as some are toxic and some are common foods. W9e feed our feeders tomato and eggplant species sometimes :)

Not sure the chemistry of that species, but if you're worried try feeding some crickets its leaves and monitor them. that would be my only worry for a T is that the feeders eat it and the T eats the feeder. Though i probably worry the least for spider enclosures. I like crickets as taste testers, roaches can be very picky in comparison :cool:

AzazelVL

Arachnopeon
I use Solanum evolvulifolium in with my dart frogs. It's safe for animals but I wouldn't cut it up and eat it ;-).

That said, it needs high humidity which is not recommended with most (any?) tarantulas.
My asian species like a higher humidity tho...

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Solanine, the toxin in the entire solanum genus, is well established as nature's pesticide. It occurs most often in the new growth, stems and leaves, but can contaminate adjacent plant material. As in potatoes allowed to sprout or young carrots that are green in the tuber.

AzazelVL

Arachnopeon
Solanine, the toxin in the entire solanum genus, is well established as nature's pesticide. It occurs most often in the new growth, stems and leaves, but can contaminate adjacent plant material. As in potatoes allowed to sprout or young carrots that are green in the tuber.
so basicly it's a no go?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
so basicly it's a no go?
Obviously. There will always be exceptions as Hornworms that eat tobacco or oleander, but best move it keeping known toxins away from containments.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Many plants are poisonous. Carnivores are fine with this plant. You will only need to judge whether your feeders will eat it (ie. crickets eat everything) and if it is indeed toxic to, firstly, insects then spiders via gut load. Quite a few toxic plants are used in vivaria. Just be aware of your pets food source. Dart frogs eating fruit flies would be fine. Lizards that eat crickets may be different. As an example.