son of a diddlydoodle!

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am sure you're right. Why expend the energy when you're full? And if you're got to share the space, you gotta share the space.

I've wondered about that too. There could've been another room down there. Also, this pede was pretty fat when found, and there are drought conditions here in C tx. It made me wonder if it had decided to eat one of the toads, or even more toads as time goes on. Whatever the situation, this I can tell you 100%, no toad is going to eat the pede, it's too big. The pede, over time, can "choose" to attack and eat part, or all of a toad whenever it wanted to. With the drought conditions, the toads and the pede have no choice but to share the same space deep underground where there is moisture. Not so for baby pedes though, I've seen a baby castaneicep pede get licked up by a toad really fast, like a water snake eating a young Bullfrog and then, later, see an adult bullfrog eat a baby water snake, ..same thing.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man, that is one VERY COOL story... pics and all! Very envious here as well... just incredible!!!
But maybe the 'pede was coming by your place on purpose though, there's got to be a plethora of 'pede pheromones coming out your windows... maybe it thinks it's some sort of 'pede brothel... :D

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is huge! Wish my backyard had pedes like that.:wall: I have not found any where I am in east Texas?? Great find, still my favorite pedes!!

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Simply amazing! I can't stop looking at the pictures!

Now, why have I never found a pede in my area? :/

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
@ KyuZo, Ha, "prehistoric", I was thinking the same thing when I saw the tail-end of that isopod there, it looks like a "swimmer" tail, like on a lobster or crawdad ...something left behind I guess. Hey Andro, it is a weird one not like the rest I see. I was fired up when it popped up. I just thought it was cool that I was thinking about a pede popping up, and then there it was! But, the excitement over. It's a big one but it's not really huge like another I've seen, ...and they say they have had bigger ones at the store where I bought the biggest one I've ever seen. G.shepard, they should be around there, wherever there is bedrock, I read there is a spot just southeast of Dallas where they can be found. SeanJo, Somerville Lake is the closest to you that I've heard of where they can be found according to Graham here on the AB.
yeah we caught a few around there when Graham and I went. not very large tho but if there are babies they must have parents lol