Space heaters

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
If i recall correctly, there was something in the manual about an odor coming from the paint during initial use. I only used it about three times and not for that long, so it may burn off with further, more extended use.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Hmmm, may have to investigate my own manual then just in case. Hopefully it'll warm up here long before I have to worry about that.

Sana

Arachnoprince
My space heater back-up plan is that I have 2 extra heaters as backup. Also, I will not run a space heater if I am not home. I have central heat/air and only turn on a space heater if I think their room needs a little eatra warmth.
I do have a question re: gas heat
I have a Corcho gas wall-mounted heater in storage and I am wondering if gas is safe for Ts should the electricity go out.
My house came with gas logs and I do have a gas tank out back (but all is turned off at tank since I rely on electric central heat for heating home).
But with all the cold NC is getting lately -- would gas be a safe back-up plan for when the current goes out?
I am debating installing that unit in the T room.
Is gas pretty safe (fume-wise)?
Do you lose power for days on end? I'm in Colorado and it gets COLD here, but I've got my place well enough insulated that we could lose power for a couple days without the temps dropping below about 60 F, even while it's below zero outside. My more sensitive T's wouldn't be happy about it, but they should reasonably be able to survive that. Honestly I've spent a lot more time on ways to better insulate than a backup plan for losing the power, and so far it's proven to be worthwhile.

Odd suggestion though, pick up a bunch of those hand warmer packets that are sold for camping. They put off a lot of heat to a small area in the case of emergency. Just remember to never put them directly against an enclosure. Use something to insulate between them like you would when shipping with a heat pack. Direct heat on the side of an enclosure can damage/kill a T.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Properly installed by a qualified technician, you will be fine. Bear in mind most are designed to use electric for ignition of LP gas, some have manual ignitors similar to a BBQ grill. Also in the early, 01 or 02, these were required to be fitted with a CO sensor that shut off the fuel valve.

---------- Post added 01-26-2015 at 11:34 AM ----------

Properly installed by a qualified technician, you will be fine. Bear in mind most are designed to use electric for ignition of LP gas, some have manual ignitors similar to a BBQ grill. Also in the early, 01 or 02, these were required to be fitted with a CO sensor that shut off the fuel valve.
Hit the send button accidentally.
I have installed these in basements in the past, one was vent less and used natural gas, both ignition types were built into the unit. [emoji4]
Personally, I use the small ceramic heaters in my T room. I have a emergency generator in case of prolonged power outages. You know.... just in case. [emoji6]

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Odd suggestion though, pick up a bunch of those hand warmer packets that are sold for camping. They put off a lot of heat to a small area in the case of emergency. Just remember to never put them directly against an enclosure. Use something to insulate between them like you would when shipping with a heat pack. Direct heat on the side of an enclosure can damage/kill a T.
This seems like a really good idea. Have some of these on hand and if your power is out and heat becomes a problem, you could pack up your collection (if its not too huge) in boxes with hand warmers. How long do unused hand warmers last?

Sana

Arachnoprince
This seems like a really good idea. Have some of these on hand and if your power is out and heat becomes a problem, you could pack up your collection (if its not too huge) in boxes with hand warmers. How long do unused hand warmers last?
I've had the things hanging around for ten years and still work perfectly. I find them useful to have when I do something less than well thought out, like camp next to a glacier. I haven't tried this plan for T's yet, so I don't promise it's success but it's my last resort plan if I lose heat for a long enough period to be a serious problem.

Edit: I think that I would use a box with an open or vented top also in case of fumes. I don't know that they put off anything dangerous, but I always go to the side of ventilation where my T's are concerned.

cold blood

Staff member
I can't recall ever having a prolonged power outage in my lifetime....when I hear talk like this it really makes me happy I live in WI...seriously, its 2015 and people are still worrying about power outages? Sounds like y'all need to address this with your (unprepared) energy providers.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I can't recall ever having a prolonged power outage in my lifetime....when I hear talk like this it really makes me happy I live in WI...seriously, its 2015 and people are still worrying about power outages? Sounds like y'all need to address this with your (unprepared) energy providers.

The power just went down for an hour today at the building where I work.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Rural areas, especially those not as prone to ice storms, are poor and not very prepared where I live. Power company workforce usually concentrate on larger towns/cities where more power can be restored and hit the rural areas last, where fewer people are helped for same effort. Usually if our rural area is impacted by inclement weather, so is a much larger area as well, stretching that limited workforce. Historically (I'm told), my county didn't get a lot of ice/snow/super low temps -- now we do. Until last year, our DOT didn't even keep salt on hand for the roads! Our whole county basically shut down during the last few cold snaps/snows.
I think I will look into get the gas unit installed -- that and the logs should give me peace of mind and hopefully never be needed.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The power just went down for an hour today at the building where I work.
Indeed, I have the power go out occasionally where I work and at home...on average twice a year or so, often for an hour or more at a time. Usually weather related, sometimes accident related. I had a scare last winter when the power went out for several hours and the outside temps were about 10 degrees F. I watched the indoor temperature drop on the thermometer, and watched my tropical enclosures fog up accordingly. Everything was fine in the end, but I was quite concerned at the time.

Sana

Arachnoprince
We were without power for five days here while the daily high was -5 F or lower a couple years ago. It was awful.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yeah, we lose power for a few hours every so often. I usually can hear a transformer (or whatever it is) blow right before lights out. But it's not a few hours I am concerned with, it's days.....

Re: hand warmers -- yeah, I have all sorts of camping gear including handwarmers plus the newish zippo type also.
But I am concerned about my tropical parrots, not just Ts.
Can't warm 4 parrot cages even with a dozen hand warmers.

Hmmm, maybe I could knit the parrots some sweaters....

Edited to add: I could knit the very first T vests ever -- wonder how many threat postures dressing up a T would cost me lol

Last edited:

azroc909

Arachnosquire
First off 68-72 should pose no problems. My place is also not the most well insulated, and, well, I like it a bit cool when I sleep (mid-low 60's), couple that with a large number of slings in my room I made the move to heat my entire t room.
I agree, 68-72 shouldn't be a problem. One thing you have to be looking out for is making sure the space heater doesnt dry out your T's specially your slings. Space heaters will dry out substrate like there's no tomorrow. I use a digital honeywell from walmart and i set it at 72 and gets the job done. I dont want it running all night trying to reach high temps like summer, would hit my wallet hard if i did. You don't need to have it in the 90's IMO.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
A year ago just before Christmas 2013 we had a pretty bad ice storm here in Southern Ontario. My place was without power for 5 days or so - others for up to 2 weeks. The first morning it was 56 Fahrenheit in here. I got lucky and was able to get one of the last gas generators from a Lowes nearby, and so, got the the heat going again.

Guess its good that I didn't have any 8 legged friends yet.

Also, about 10 years ago, there was a huge power outtage covering Ontario and much of the Eastern USA, lasting for a few days in some areas. Occurred during Summer, so few spiders froze, but if it happened in January...

---------- Post added 01-26-2015 at 05:20 PM ----------

Edited to add: I could knit the very first T vests ever -- wonder how many threat postures dressing up a T would cost me lol
It'd probably depend on the pattern. No spider would want pretty flowers...