Stolen T Photos

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Again, if it were in California, any number of attorneys would be MORE than happy to take the case... and would win! What with Hollyweird being in this state, copyright infringement is BIG BIZ!!

dwdeloach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
What I"m scratching my head over is what sort of person argues that the thief is right and the people who's stuff was stolen are wrong?
Unfortunately in today's society, the criminal has more rights than the victim. They can literally get away with murder!!!

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
did you know if a burgalar breaks their leg in your home they can sue you because its you home?

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
did you know if a burgalar breaks their leg in your home they can sue you because its you home?

A burgalar that breaks a leg in MY house better hope they can get to the door before I swing at the other leg.;P =D

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I don't see her referring to the photos she's posted as "hers," this is what was written on the main photo gallery page:

"All different types of T's...Plz Add!!! These Photos Were Found On Web."

She's also a new member of a group on MSN I'm a member of....Arachnoculture.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by LPacker79
I don't see her referring to the photos she's posted as "hers," this is what was written on the main photo gallery page:

Doesn't change anything, she's hosting and redistributing without permission.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I say give the girl a break. She probably wasn't mature enough to admit that she stole those pictures when people first pointed that out. Now, she has nothing on her site that says those are her pictures. She even have something that says those are from the web. Again, she isn't mature enough to realize these things. Just be patient with her.

Personally, if she'd taken my photo and posted on her site like that, I wouldn't mind at all. #1 she is young #2 it doesn't bother me #3 doesn't harm me a bit #4 she is young. If she was a 40 yr old or something, then I'd start getting on her case. In the mean time, she's young and is exploring.

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A burgalar that breaks a leg in MY house better hope they can get to the door before I swing at the other leg.
ROTFLMFAO!!!! (Rolling on the floor laughing my freaking ass off!)

That's been the most precious thing that I've read all day!!!

Thanks! :D

Pixie

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What it comes down to is the lack of common courtesy in asking 1st. Most folks don't mind if you use a pic myself included if you simply ask and give due credit for it. Regardless of her age to take something without asking is stealing period no matter how you may wish to try and label it as something else.

CM is correct in that trying to get her busted is probably a waste of time but to those of us who have put the time and effort into taking and presenting good pics it is disrespectful and crappy to simply take them as if they are public property. That is the sole reason I slap my name on my pics now to discourage such behavior. Personally I feel it takes away from the photo but it is unfortunately a neccessary evil. I have had several people ask to use pics and have never had a problem with it. I just can't understand why some people think it's ok to simply help themselves to someone elses work.

Perhaps if more people took the time and effort to shoot pic after pic trying to get a good one they would unerstand the mindset I have on the subject. To use them on a desktop or as wallpaper is one thing but to make a site as if you have done it yourself but use others work is wrong.

Phil

burnpile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Really?

Originally posted by Code Monkey
You're confusing copyright and trademark, two different things. A trademark must be registered and is subject to such a thing as borders. Copyright is yours the minute you publish in any manner, requires no registration, and extends to every country that recognises international copyright.
You are correct in theory, but this quote from the title code explains exactly what I meant:

Before an infringement suit may be filed in court, registration is necessary for works of U. S. origin

And copyright law is NOT set in stone. I have listed the defines for fair use, it is up to a judge to interpet them as he see fit, as is most US law covering ideas and their orgins. I've been involved in several copyright disputes (technical manuals in a competetive market) and feel confident commenting on this issue. However, I think 4 pages on this matter is quite enough. A semi-qualified opinion has been offered, backed by applicable quotes of the law as offered by congress. Take it for what you will.

Last edited:

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How young is she and how do you know? The honest thing to do of course, would be to e-mail the people whose pictures she has posted, after the fact, and apologise, then ask if she can use them. Wish she read these posts on here. Yeah, if she is young and has made a mistake, she would be embarrassed and have a hard time doing this, but she should. The young people need to learn about this somehow, not be prosecuted.
Sharon

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What would probably happen is that if a lawsuit gets taken out, the parents would probably involved....maybe that would be enough of a deterant. I'm sure the parents would be real quick to involved in what the child is doing on the net. I know its happening with the music industry going after people who download songs off the internet for free. Some of those people are kids and the parents are the ones paying the fine. I would think that might get her to think that its not worth the hassle, but then I could be wrong...you know kids today.

Laura

ps. CM, thanks for posting the copyright law information....very informative.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Doesn't change anything, she's hosting and redistributing without permission.
I agree with you, I was just referring to the earlier comments saying that she was claiming the photos as her own.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From the one who started the whole thing...

Originally posted by LPacker79

She's also a new member of a group on MSN I'm a member of....Arachnoculture.
OK...let me straighten this out for you all. It was my group she was a member of. She had a group of her own which I went and checked out and asked Diane to do the same. As for the "....these photos were found on web" part...that was added AFTER she had been informed that the rightful owners of the photographs had been notifed and AFTER she removed the photo of the T she called "Nessa". She is NOT a minor...she does NOT live in Canada and she's not stupid either. I had several conversations with her about these issues....do I need to post the actual emails and messenger conversations here? I have emailed Swift, Tarantulas.com as well as the ATS were the Avic pic can also be found....only with copyright in tact in the bottom left hand corner...which she removed for her posting. She told myself and Diane that the pics were hers. Only after knowing that we knew she was lying, did she try and say that I told her she could use them...which I corrected her on in an email, as I do not and have not ever had any of those photos on my group (a responce to that email I have not gotten). She became very nasty and vulgar with Diane and has refused to reply to my emails. Her group has since been moved or shut down.

Just to clear this up for everyone who "feels sorry for the poor thing"....she has gone to great lengths to remove copyrights from photos to make them look "free".....if it's ok to just take what you want and not bother to take the time to ask then we are a pretty pethetic society. I took the time to contact every person who's photographs I use on my site and get their permission first....but that's just me I guess.:) Diane nor myself are out to bash her, this thread was obviously started with the intention of discovering the owners of the photographs...it was not meant to become a huge debate over copyright laws and ignorance. It would have been an "oups, I'm sorry, I'll take them down" had she even offerd to do that but she did not, instead, she got rude...IMO that does not warrent mercy or pitty. I and my husband have worked very hard on getting our group set up and to have someone come along and take advantage of our kindness (as she and her other manager did when they "borrowed" all of our text material) and just duplicate someone else's group is just wrong. We did the leg work, we took the time and so did everyone who these photos rightfully belong to....sorry, I don't feel bad for her.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P.S.
According to her...she's 27....is that too young to know right from wrong???????

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for clearing that up *applause*

Personally I think she's pathetic

Laura