Strange sling repetitive motion post-molt

Shaka44

Arachnopeon
Hi all I have a 1.5"or so geniculata sling, just had its first molt since I got. Shortly after, it was moving its fangs up and down on its molt, and stopped when i shone a light. Eating it right after molting? And today saw this, see attached video:

Also, referencing attached pic, is this guy ready to eat? Been about 3 days

No cause for concern I'm sure just curious!

New to this and excited to dive in.

Attachments

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Some tarantulas will try to drink any moisture left in the molt. It's a pretty dehydrating process so they need plenty of water. The video looks like normal grooming behavior to me. It can look kinda crazy 😆. The fangs are still pretty red. You want them to be quite dark (usually black). That sling is pretty well fed tho so I don't think you're going to need to feed for awhile lolol.
Congrats on the succesful molt!

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Post molt grooming and “spider yoga”. Definitely wait until fangs are black. Typically a week for individuals that size is a safe bet

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
All hail!!
My genic is the cleanest spider I have and was just taking a thorough bath last night. This entails moving his fangs up and down and sticking his feet in his mouth with his fangs rubbing along his legs. This looks like he’s eating his own legs, but rest assured he is not. As said above, he was likely reclaiming moisture from the molt. (I can’t see the video) Fangs moving up and down is just grooming.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Definitely grooming and a sign of a healthy T!

Last edited:

Shaka44

Arachnopeon
All hail!!
My genic is the cleanest spider I have and was just taking a thorough bath last night. This entails moving his fangs up and down and sticking his feet in his mouth with his fangs rubbing along his legs. This looks like he’s eating his own legs, but rest assured he is not. As said above, he was likely reclaiming moisture from the molt. (I can’t see the video) Fangs moving up and down is just grooming.
Good to know! I think I've made a good choice for my first species--barring the rosea I had as a kid!

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Awww look at er getting all the itchy spots! So unbelievably adorable. You definitely picked an amazing T!