Stuck at a crossroads.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
these questions always bring up a "chicken or the egg" type of quandary to me. i hear the people saying you need more experience for the faster, more venomous species.... but how do you get that experience, until you actually own that kind of tarantula. there are some "stepping stone" species, such as the psalmos, but even then you will still get the comments that a psalmo is not a pokie, it's not the same thing etc. or the suggestion that you should get a sling and raise it up, so you've had the time to get some experience with the species before it is full grown, but then others will say that owning a full adult 7" pokie is much different than dealing with a sling. so you don't REALLY get experience with owning an adult pokie, until you actually own an adult pokie. there has to be a first time for everything. ultimately it really has to come down to the individual, and what they are comfortable with, and what they feel prepared for. raising slings and progressing from slower to faster species and all that is valuable, but at one point or another you have to decide when you yourself are comfortable making the leap to a particular species. no one else can really tell you exactly when is the right time for you individually.
Yet I feel comfortable and believe I am ready but everyone says otherwise.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go for it then. They just don't want someone getting bit by an OW and being rushed to he ER and having to explain to the hospital staff that they're pet spider bit them. Then the media gets wind of this, and next thing you know, that species is banned from the pet trade. BTW I'm not saying this will happen to you I'm just explaining the perspective of those who are doubting you. I feel you might be fine.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yet I feel comfortable and believe I am ready but everyone says otherwise.
We've been thru it ourselves, and seen many beginners here. There's very good reasons we give the advice we do. We've seen a number of confident newbies ignore our advice and get in over their heads, with slings that grow faster than their skill and experience. We just don't want you to be another one. I'll never understand why people feel they have to rush it, and can't take things in logical steps. Do you only have 6 months to live?

Last edited:

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I have heard taps hare faster than pokies and often defensive, could having a tap and a psalmo be a good warm up?

awiec

Arachnoprince
I have heard taps hare faster than pokies and often defensive, could having a tap and a psalmo be a good warm up?
Taps are faster than pokies but prefer flight over fight, psalmos are more defensive but both would make good stepping stones for fast OW. I personally love my T.gigas but I take special consideration that it is a more flighty genus so I give it extra room. I've had mine for a year and I've had no incidents as I've taken it slow and my particular specimen is pretty laid back. Out of your list I would suggest not getting the pokie, haplo or the balfouri. I have an M.balfouri and while they are considered "starter OW" mine came out of the vial spitting mad and repeatedly bit my paintbrush, all when it was 1/2 inch. They can be just as feisty as any other baboon when you try to re-home them and aren't very price friendly. If you want to work your way to a pokie I would suggest the psalmos and the tap, and either one of the brachys or the pulchra would make a nice chill display specimen.

gobey

Arachnoknight
But he already has pokies.....

I DON'T want to offer advice on this matter. I'm not experienced enough and am essentially that guy Poec warned about
Yeah I became THAT guy. So like I'm able to share experiences, offer observations, conjecture, maybe starter T advice, and facts I've learned.

But this is a subject I'll plead no comment on except for one thing. You have 2 pokies. I do too. 2 inch plus regalis. You however have the beautiful and reputably calmest one available. IMO at least. I'm content with my 2. To learn Pokie behavior and experience sling to BIG adult. And if I really like them.... Then man I want what you have lol. Those metallicas are amazing looking Ts.

Why not wait until they grow up? I also grew confident by working with a friends Ts and the Ts at his LPS that I stored my slings at for a while before taking most of them home.

So you also have been doing this at least 2x as long as me. I probably am hasty. You decide I guess. But heed the experts. Don't follow my lead certainly. I just bumbled the first month. Learned a lot the next two. Became more proficient in care the last month. But also had some embarrassing lessons too. Lessons learned.

Anyways I tend to ramble. Bottom line. Consider you have 2 magnificent pokies that will grow up pretty fast. Then you can go get a regalis sling that will grow just as fast for cheap
Heck trade your adult metallica for like 15 of them.

Anyways good luck with whatever you do man! I'll say my regalis slings are by far my coolest slings. Although one is a totall scardy cat.

Akai

Arachnobaron
you can go from a sling to an intimidating Pokie within 2 years. they really grow that fast. there really is no rush.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since you already have a Poecilotheria, there isn't much rush to jump into getting a regalis at this point. Right now, you can focus on gaining your experience with your current stock as you search for a better deal on a reglalis. And, trust me, deals do come around as they are an almost overwhelming staple in the hobby. They aren't going anywhere and you will always be able to find them. Picked up a 7"+ female last year for $70. Deals are out there.