Stupid questions people outside of the hobby ask you...

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I've had many people willing to learn. A friend of mine says he googles things about them whenever I tell him I got a new one, send 67 pictures and describe the species. Unfortunately last night I had someone ask "so if it bites you in the eye, will your eye fall out?" I simply said "it's only been known to happen to people with brown eyes". Some people should not be allowed to drink alcohol. Ever. Just when my faith in humanity was beginning to be restored....

Sana

Arachnoprince
I've had many people willing to learn. A friend of mine says he googles things about them whenever I tell him I got a new one, send 67 pictures and describe the species. Unfortunately last night I had someone ask "so if it bites you in the eye, will your eye fall out?" I simply said "it's only been known to happen to people with brown eyes". Some people should not be allowed to drink alcohol. Ever. Just when my faith in humanity was beginning to be restored....
Hmm, I have those hazel eyes the change from brown to green like a mood ring. So my eye will only fall out on a brown day?

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Hmm, I have those hazel eyes the change from brown to green like a mood ring. So my eye will only fall out on a brown day?
Only if your T bites you in the eye on a brown day, proven fact. Mine are blue, so I can take as many tarantula bites to the eye as I want and luckily it won't fall out.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Only if your T bites you in the eye on a brown day, proven fact. Mine are blue, so I can take as many tarantula bites to the eye as I want and luckily it won't fall out.
Gosh, you're so lucky. Maybe I'll invest in an eye patch just in case.:laugh:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Gosh, you're so lucky. Maybe I'll invest in an eye patch just in case.:laugh:
You probably should. Ts go for the eyes when they attack. Vicious creatures man. All thr brown eyed T owners will look like this one day --->:o_O::cool:

The sad part is that I'm pretty sure the dude believed me.

Sana

Arachnoprince
You probably should. Ts go for the eyes when they attack. Vicious creatures man. All thr brown eyed T owners will look like this one day --->:o_O::cool:

The sad part is that I'm pretty sure the dude believed me.
Oh goodness! Poor thing. Knowing our luck he's going to go around telling people and in a year we'll be dealing with that myth in new keepers.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Oh goodness! Poor thing. Knowing our luck he's going to go around telling people and in a year we'll be dealing with that myth in new keepers.
Not gonna lie, that wouldn't even bother me because it would be hilarious. I doubt it though. He was wasted. There's no way anyone can be that dumb to believe that a spider only bites peoples eyes if they're brown. You honestly probably have a higher chance of a person biting you in the eye than a tarantula. We have bath salts to thank for that. Unless tarantulas take up bath salt smoking, then we might have some really big problems. But I've given all of mine the drugs are bad talk so it should be ok :)

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
Oh no! I missed the step! Is that at sling or juvie?

Hanska

Arachnobaron
It's funny how people think about biting as soon as they hear the word spider. "Aren't you worried it will bite you".
I've played with spiders my whole life, and been keeping the more exotic ones as pets for some time. Not once have I been bitten by a native or pet spider. Not once has any of them tried.
I have been only bitten by both of my dogs(though they weren't aiming at me, I was collateral damage), twice by my parrot(yesterday morning it decided I need to have my ear pierced) and once by a rat in a pet store.
Why aren't people asking if my parrot bites 'cause that really hurts!... Oh yea.. I forgot. Parrots are cute 'n cuddly, no way they'd bite someone.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Why aren't people asking if my parrot bites 'cause that really hurts!... Oh yea.. I forgot. Parrots are cute 'n cuddly, no way they'd bite someone.
Parrots can be brutal, and are capable of more mechanical damage than any spider can inflict with a bite. A Blue Fronted Amazon once decided I didn't need my thumb nail attached to my thumb anymore.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
My stephfather was always complaining that 'those T's' belong in africa and that its irrisponsible for holding this 'things'. One day he was smoking a cigarette in the room where i kept my T's. i told my mother that its unhealthy for my T's and the next day she said to him that she doesnt want that he smokes in the livingroom. He agreed, there was no problem. 3 weeks later he found out (i dont know how) that the reason why he isnt allowed to smoke in the livingroom is for the health of my T's, he broke up with my mother just for this reason!!!! How mad can you be??

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
I'm always careful as to who I actually talk to about Mystery. Sometimes people have asked the question "Have you had the fangs removed?" or "Won't it kill you?" but have actually listened to what I have to say about them....and in some ways, I have interested some of them and completely freaked out others lol.

Lewis (my closest friend) was actually with me throughout my researching, buying and homing a lot of my animals, including Mystery and my 2 corn snakes Inca and Aztec...but sadly his wife is allergic to fur and is a woman who would most likely kill a snake, T or anything without 4 legs and fur if she had the chance too!

Alex, my other friend is pretty much the same as me as loving what most people call "weird" creatures lol.

My parents - were completely against me having any of the snakes and Mystery....but now completely love them and Mum wants me to get more lol.

Rest of the family - well my aunt is arachnophobic, but does like my snakes, and she did see Mystery in a photo....the rest of the family have pretty much freaked out lol.

Julz xx

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I'm always careful as to who I actually talk to about Mystery. Sometimes people have asked the question "Have you had the fangs removed?" or "Won't it kill you?" but have actually listened to what I have to say about them....and in some ways, I have interested some of them and completely freaked out others lol.

Lewis (my closest friend) was actually with me throughout my researching, buying and homing a lot of my animals, including Mystery and my 2 corn snakes Inca and Aztec...but sadly his wife is allergic to fur and is a woman who would most likely kill a snake, T or anything without 4 legs and fur if she had the chance too!

Alex, my other friend is pretty much the same as me as loving what most people call "weird" creatures lol.

My parents - were completely against me having any of the snakes and Mystery....but now completely love them and Mum wants me to get more lol.

Rest of the family - well my aunt is arachnophobic, but does like my snakes, and she did see Mystery in a photo....the rest of the family have pretty much freaked out lol.

Julz xx
Someone asked me if any of my Ts were "defanged". Like are you "detoothed"? People have also asked why I keep dangerous animals where I think tarantulas are one of the less dangerous animals a person can keep, next to a fish or frog or something. My boyfriend's corn snake has bitten him twice and tried biting one of his dogs. It's actually kind of funny.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Had a geat one last night "isbit possible one of your tarantulas can shed its skin and become smarter and grow thumbs.. im just curious because then our town will be f****d and its be all your fault... *super facepalm*

Thats a new level of T questions xD
I'd look at it as an opportunity...

What I'd do would be wait until one hooked out male, and then excitedly tell the guy he was right, one of the spiders has developed thumbs, and point out the hooks to him. Act frantic.:D

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
This is a good thread. If i am ever asked if i am going to defang my slings when they are larger i would reply, "try eating a nice juicy nedium rare ribeye without teeth an tell me how not eating solid food feels"

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I'd look at it as an opportunity...

What I'd do would be wait until one hooked out male, and then excitedly tell the guy he was right, one of the spiders has developed thumbs, and point out the hooks to him. Act frantic.:D
lol weell.. i do have a MM rosea whos 5-6" with can/bottle openers, erm i mean hooks.. this could be funny.. but.. they are already hated so much i dont wana cause a pannic because the girl seemed genuinely concerned when asking this weird question lol