T sling price?? a Major rise

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Lol well im still paying payments! And got only enough to raise females. All of these are in my profile, but here is a list for easy viewing.

Augacephalus breyeri x3 slings
Augacephalus junodi x4 slings
Ceratogyrus meridionalis x8 slings
Ceratogyrus sanderi x2 slings
Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati x6 juvies
Cyriopagopus schioedtei 2 juvies/3 slings
Encyocratella olivacea adult female
Eucratoscelus constrictus x5 slings
Harpactira pulchripes x5 sligns
Ornithoctoninae sp. Laos x5 slings
Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus x4 slings
Sericopelma sp. Chiriqui (Freebie, and possibly the only one in the US)
Primo stuff. Nicely done.

cold blood

Staff member
Primo stuff. Nicely done.
+1 Very much so.

High prices of newer slings also has the added effect of keeping them out of small collectors hands that don't breed. Anything new or rare in the hobby should really be primarily in the hands of breeders, and experienced breeders, like catfishrod69, are not only the type of people willing to pony up several K on rare stock, but their breedings will subsequently bring the prices into the real of every day purchases for the rest of us.

I wish ya the best of luck with that new stock catfishrod69, mad props my friend, mad props! :wink:

---------- Post added 11-19-2014 at 05:18 PM ----------

That should say..."the realm of everyday purchases..."

For some reason its not allowing me to edit.:(

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
+1 Very much so.

High prices of newer slings also has the added effect of keeping them out of small collectors hands that don't breed. Anything new or rare in the hobby should really be primarily in the hands of breeders, and experienced breeders, like catfishrod69, are not only the type of people willing to pony up several K on rare stock, but their breedings will subsequently bring the prices into the real of every day purchases for the rest of us.

I wish ya the best of luck with that new stock catfishrod69, mad props my friend, mad props! :wink:

---------- Post added 11-19-2014 at 05:18 PM ----------

That should say..."the realm of everyday purchases..."

For some reason its not allowing me to edit.:(
I never thought of it that way CB, but it definitely rings true in my mind! This way the rare stock that needs to be populated into the hobby in general will almost be guaranteed to get bred. I hope some day to be one of the people that helps get a new species into the general hobbie. Got to remember to pace myself LOL. One thing at a time, first on the agenda? Learning breeding basics with simpler "cheaper" species and work my way up that way. ;)

Good thing I've got all the experienced keepers and breeders here on AB to learn from. ;)

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the last three years sling prices dropped. This kid is always complaining about spending money on t's. I say deal with it or get out of the hobby! Our hobby is sooo cheap compared to many other animal hobbies.

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
Anything new or rare in the hobby should really be primarily in the hands of breeders, and experienced breeders, like catfishrod69, are [sic] not only the type of people willing to pony up several K on rare stock.
When it comes down to it, this is a hobby. There's a modicum of selfishness inherent in it--at the end of the day, this is an activity we are practicing for our own pleasure. So ideals like "Breeders only species" are a little ridiculous, as are judgments regarding the wisdom of purchasing only one sling at a time. The captive population will never be reintegrated into the wild, so we're not doing the natural world any real conservation favors here anyway, and there's no risk that any current hobby species will become extinct. Thus, there's no logical reason to discourage people from purchasing only one $400 sling. If they want to raise a male and start over, let them.

On a more germane note, I think sling prices are dropping, which is good because I just raised a male and have to start over.

cold blood

Staff member
When it comes down to it, this is a hobby. There's a modicum of selfishness inherent in it--at the end of the day, this is an activity we are practicing for our own pleasure. So ideals like "Breeders only species" are a little ridiculous, as are judgments regarding the wisdom of purchasing only one sling at a time. The captive population will never be reintegrated into the wild, so we're not doing the natural world any real conservation favors here anyway, and there's no risk that any current hobby species will become extinct. Thus, there's no logical reason to discourage people from purchasing only one $400 sling. If they want to raise a male and start over, let them.
Haha, I believe you misinterpreted my post. I never said anything about "breeders only", only that high prices discourage most of us from buying one, much less enough to begin breeding. By those first people getting them being breeders, more are bred, more come to the market, more knowledge about the breeding specifics and this all leads to greater availability in the hobby, eventually bringing the prices down to where the people (like myself) with relatively small collections can afford to get a few. Until a new species brought in have been bred within the hobby, its best for everyone in the long run that they are bred as quickly and as often as possible.

I would ABSOLUTLY LOVE to have a few H. pulchripes, but my hopes lie with breeders having success....no success and I will never own one....good breeding and I could have at least one in the next several years. Wanting them in the hands of breeders is exactly the opposite of selfish...getting one of the first and sitting on it till it dies and not breeding it is what I actually see as selfish.;)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Basically what he is saying is that the newer, rarer species that drive a hard price need to be in the hand of breeders first. This way they can start to become established into the US, and start the prices being lowered. Purchasing one sling at a time is absolutely fine. But if you are a breeder, or if you absolutely want a female, and have the money to do so, purchase multiples 3-5. This way you will have better success getting one. I actually have great luck getting females, so i could probably purchase just one and get lucky most the time. The captive population being reintegrated back into the wild would actually be a horrible thing to do. First we would be introducing captive diseases and parasites into the wild. And second we would be taking all these slings and sentencing them to death. Almost all would be eaten or killed by predators, or killed by deforestation. There isnt anything that can be done about the wild populations. We can only work on what we have in the captive populations.

On a more germane note, I think sling prices are dropping, which is good because I just raised a male and have to start over.

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
You guys both totally missed or misunderstood my point as well, I guess that's the written word for ya. I'm saying there is no "should be" or "need to be" when it come to expensive slings being in the hands of breeders. Does it happen naturally anyway? Yes, but we don't need to encourage it. There is no "should." Why not? Because the only purpose breeding serves is to provide product for the marketplace. Conservation is irrelevant in the hobby, because as we both point out, wild populations and captive populations will remain separate. Thus, there is no logical basis for arguing that unbred tarantulas, even expensive ones, are a waste.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nope we completely see your point. The thing is you see it all wrong. If those rare and expensive species just get tossed around into the hands of people that dont breed, then they are going to dissapear from the hobby. It has happened with certain tarantula species here in the states, as well as centipede species. Wouldnt it be better to get them established in the hobby, so they are here to stay? Not just have 10 slings imported, and bought up by 10 non breeders, then those slings reach maturity and die of old age as virgins? Some of us are passionate about producing slings for the good of the hobby.
You guys both totally missed or misunderstood my point as well, I guess that's the written word for ya. I'm saying there is no "should be" or "need to be" when it come to expensive slings being in the hands of breeders. Does it happen naturally anyway? Yes, but we don't need to encourage it. There is no "should." Why not? Because the only purpose breeding serves is to provide product for the marketplace. Conservation is irrelevant in the hobby, because as we both point out, wild populations and captive populations will remain separate. Thus, there is no logical basis for arguing that unbred tarantulas, even expensive ones, are a waste.

cold blood

Staff member
Thus, there is no logical basis for arguing that unbred tarantulas, even expensive ones, are a waste.
Then I guess I disagree. Without breedings, rare species simply disappear from the hobby....the more successful the breedings are, the sooner the masses can afford these rare species, as...they will no longer be rare in the hobby. Long term success of t's new within the hobby are 100% reliant on successful breeding within the hobby within that first shipment that arrives. Its exceedingly expensive to import new species, plus there is no guarantee of more of a rare species being brought in in the near future, if at all.

Its not that you or I can't or shouldn't buy one, just that a certain percentage of them NEED to be bred for the good of every soul in the hobby...breeders included. Sooner those breedings occur, the better for you, me and the rest of the masses.

edit: ninja'd by catfishrod!

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I remember the first tarantula I ever saw was a B.smithi my friend bought for $20 4" DLS about year 1980. Several years later when trying to purchase my first tarantula the B. smithi species averaged $600 dollars. Thanks to everyone who bred this species we can purchase this species at a decent rate again. THANK YOU BREEDERS!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
The 'marketplace' is the hobby and we we're all here. This apparently went over your head.
Yeah I guess if you never considered breeding a T, you wouldn't last long in the T hobby anyway. A male T lives longer then your average rat or mouse if u buy it as a sling. Anyone with a female T can breed, these aren't mythological creatures or yetis... There spiders.

Prices have dropped a lot in recent years, but Europe still puts us to shame. Maybe we should figure out what they are doing in Germany and how they breed Ts so well and learn from them :)

I agree some sling prices are way tooo high, but breeding Ts Is not often easy. So raising price of Ts just for breeding purposes negative effects anyone without a lot of cash to buy up crazy expensive species. Still I think everyone should breed there Ts , so they stay captive bread.
Say the best breeder , runs out of money Hobby is dead??

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They keep their tarantulas as close to natural as possible, and mimic all of the day/night, and season cycles as possible. They research where the species are from, what the temps are like year round, rainfall, etc. It will really help out.
Maybe we should figure out what they are doing in Germany and how they breed Ts so well and learn from them :)

---------- Post added 11-21-2014 at 08:02 AM ----------

Basically compare the prices of cars. Take a random Ford pos model and there are a million of them and they cost squat, parts are cheap and easy to make and aquire. Now come across a Agera, parts are more expensive, harder to make and aquire, and there are less of them.
I agree some sling prices are way tooo high, but breeding Ts Is not often easy.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
If I had the time, money, resources and experience I would devote my time to breeding rare species for the good of the hobby. Unfortunately the average person can not do that because of limitations with money and knowledge. I started as being in it for me, but now its not about that, it's about the help of the hobby. Oh well, maybe in 3 years this can become more of a reality.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol well im still paying payments! And got only enough to raise females. All of these are in my profile, but here is a list for easy viewing.

Augacephalus breyeri x3 slings
Augacephalus junodi x4 slings
Ceratogyrus meridionalis x8 slings
Ceratogyrus sanderi x2 slings
Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati x6 juvies
Cyriopagopus schioedtei 2 juvies/3 slings
Encyocratella olivacea adult female
Eucratoscelus constrictus x5 slings
Harpactira pulchripes x5 sligns
Ornithoctoninae sp. Laos x5 slings
Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus x4 slings
Sericopelma sp. Chiriqui (Freebie, and possibly the only one in the US)
Harpactira pulchripes well done, well done!! I hope they are as easy to breed as OBTs and P irminia!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If I had the time, money, resources and experience I would devote my time to breeding rare species for the good of the hobby. Unfortunately the average person can not do that because of limitations with money and knowledge. I started as being in it for me, but now its not about that, it's about the help of the hobby. Oh well, maybe in 3 years this can become more of a reality.
You can make your hobby pay for itself, that's what some of us do. Start breeding mid-priced species (not LP's and OBT's) and sell/trade those slings to get something more expensive. Repeat. After a few years you have expensive species and didn't have to lay out extra cash for them.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
You can make your hobby pay for itself, that's what some of us do. Start breeding mid-priced species (not LP's and OBT's) and sell/trade those slings to get something more expensive. Repeat. After a few years you have expensive species and didn't have to lay out extra cash for them.
I will have to start breeding some of those then.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I will have to start breeding some of those then.
You have the power to do what you want in this hobby. You can be a dreamer, or you can learn what some of us have done and take it to the next level. A large part of my collection has come from trading my slings to dealers, and have gotten a number of new species I couldn't afford otherwise. Just don't breed species the market is saturated with. Pick some that go for around $30+ per sling. Dealers want them, you have something of value. Works out great.