TAIL FLAT BARELY ANY MOVEMENT

benno

Arachnopeon
Hey guys I've owned a little desert scorpion for about 2 months now and he has been awesome. Up until now. I've gone to check on him as I haven't seen him eat in a week or so now and I've noticed his tail is flat to the ground and he is barely moving. This morning he was full of life and running around what does that mean?

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm US so not familiar with AUS scorps, but that tail doesn't look good.

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Sorry to hear that; my own scorpion (a Heterotremus) passed away in a similar fashion a few weeks ago.
An extended tail flat on the ground is often a sign of death, unfortunately. 😔

benno

Arachnopeon
The local pet shop is getting 2 more on Friday so I'll be grabbing another one for sure. Sting 2.0.
He was my first and he won't be my last. I also have a FNQ rainforest scorpion I named claws, who is healthy and loving life

gzophia

Arachnosquire
The local pet shop is getting 2 more on Friday so I'll be grabbing another one for sure. Sting 2.0.
He was my first and he won't be my last. I also have a FNQ rainforest scorpion I named claws, who is healthy and loving life
All the best to your new one! I don't think "FNQ" is a valid scorpion name, but I wish them the best as well.

benno

Arachnopeon
FNQ means far north Queensland that's where his from I actually called him claws

gzophia

Arachnosquire
FNQ means far north Queensland that's where his from I actually called him claws
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that! By "name," I meant a common species name, not the name you gave him. "Claws" is great!
I have like 26 healthy and happy Uroctonus mordax right now, but I don't think I have the luxury of having enough time to name them all haha...

benno

Arachnopeon
Hahaha I'm waiting for claws to grow before I rehouse him into a larger enclosure but then once my army grows more ill add name tags 😂😂

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Yeah, some scorpions grow very slowly, but it's worth the wait! You have plenty of time to prepare and research. A little reading goes a long way.
I use name/species tags, but I need to find better paper because all of mine peel off...

benno

Arachnopeon
I feel like I've failed the little bugger and could have helped but I guess it wasn't meant to be for him

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Could you give some details about what the care was like? Key points are species, enclosure size, substrate, ventilation, humidity, and general behavior.
If anything was wrong, identifying it would greatly help any future additions to your scorpion squad. 🙂

benno

Arachnopeon
In all honesty I was told not to let my room drop below 19 degrees so I didn't, I had him in a fairly large enclosure with red sand and a corner of like mulch stuff that I sprayed for him every couple of days. I feed him crickets twice a week, I used to be able to feed him with tongs. I pretty much did everything I was told to

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
For an outback species like your Urodacus yaschenkoi, I would keep them quite warm, especially during the summer months. 25-35⁰C during the day. Maybe a bit cooler in winter. Fairly deep substrate that holds burrows (sand-clay mix). Hope you have better luck with your next one.
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that! By "name," I meant a common species name, not the name you gave him. "Claws" is great!
Rainforest scorpion in Australia refers to Hormurus sp. Most commonly Hormurus waigiensis. :)

gzophia

Arachnosquire
In all honesty I was told not to let my room drop below 19 degrees so I didn't, I had him in a fairly large enclosure with red sand and a corner of like mulch stuff that I sprayed for him every couple of days. I feed him crickets twice a week, I used to be able to feed him with tongs. I pretty much did everything I was told to
I agree with @Joey Spijkers about the temperature; 19C is too low for almost every scorpion species even if general temperatures are higher.
And the part about the substrate is definitely true; I learned the hard way that offering burrowable substrate is crucial. I hope your next scorpion does well!
Rainforest scorpion in Australia refers to Hormurus sp. Most commonly Hormurus waigiensis. :)
Thank you, I find taxonomic ID's to be incredibly helpful and yet I am quite bad at recognizing them. 😁👍