Tap water?

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That was my thinking, also. Sometimes we tend to over babyfy our pets and we get lost in the tiny details of caring for them.
Agreed. Ts are hardy animals. There's no way they will suffer from something as irrelevant as treated water.

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So.... there you have it. A very well rounded answer to the original question. From this thread we know:

-If you can afford it, bottled is the best.
-If you can't, tap "aired out" for a few days is second best.
-If you can't afford it and are lazy, tap won't kill them, so 3rd best.

(Personally I choose three! :D )

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Expensive yes, different countries different yes, U.S. NO

I believe you Paramite. But for most people looking at this in the U.S., the water is horrible. I don't think most people (including myself!) no just how bad it is. Just recently there was study done to test for medicines expelled from humans. Most cities here had 50-100 different medications in all there samples. Never mind all the other junk. I would bet finland has better water than we do. I would best most of western europe does. But for people here, our water quality is in crisis, we just don't know it yet. So I am right there with you. And heck, bottled water is expensive here and not perfect either. The best solution for everyone would be an R/O filter. You can get more than your moneys worth out of those and be sure. Personally I think it stinks that we even have to consider this., and I wish it wasn't so.
We don't have a lot of money right now, and basic upkeep alone is tough.
So I know where you are coming from. But the question was originally posed as is this o.k.?, as in fine, no problems. I think nothing could be further from the truth, at least in the USA. Outside of my country, I know very little. I know about dirty water in africa, yada yada, but I don't really know how water is treated elsewhere. Peace, Ryan

Look, I'm not trying to be a smart ass. It's obvious that bottle water is safer. It's just that in some countries it's expensive as hell. Since there seems to be no issues with tap water, I'll choose that one. You however said it's "NO" to the tap water, even if it really isn't so.

But then again our tap water is pretty clean, even in the "big cities" that are of course small compared to the states.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've used tap water for years with no ill effects.
there should be no problem with it.
i live in jersey and all my spiders still have 8 legs.

so turn on your faucet and water your spiders

moose

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Harsh? NO! lol

Doesn't seem harsh to me. You are obviously one of those people who think all of the junk that has been put in our air, water, soil is fine, we will all live right? That's O.K. ! I understand that line of thinking and have close friends who feel the same way. I disagree however. The regulations on water are part of the problem. The huge amount of "treating" they are doing is poisoning us and our children and our pets. The "standards" upon which they test are flawed from the beginning, so I don't care if they test ever .0000001 seconds. They are adding bad, bad stuff. And not testing for other bad, bad stuff. So there schedule is a non-issue. Just look all this up yourself, do your research, and at some point, you are going to go dang, this stuff gave my kid autism, or your friends kid, or ADD, or etc, etc, etc,..
I hope this is not the case. I really, really do. But you can't tell me that consuming fluoride (a chemical weapon), is not going to harm you in some way, whether you can see it or not. I hope I am wrong, but I wouldn't count on it. Peace, ryan

are you kidding me?! :wall: good lord, the crap and regulations on drinking tap water is crazy, that stuff is good. i've been to a public water treatment plant and heard what testing they have to do (which is every 30 freaking minutes or less). even if the water tastes gross it is still fine to drink as these people are all going to jail if it's not darn near perfect. and besides, what do you think T's drink in the wild?? haha, nothing near distilled water quality. they'll drink it out of a mud slop hole if they can get it.

bottom line: it's perfectly fine. trust us.

/rant. sorry if i seemed harsh.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe you Paramite. But for most people looking at this in the U.S., the water is horrible. I don't think most people (including myself!) no just how bad it is. Just recently there was study done to test for medicines expelled from humans. Most cities here had 50-100 different medications in all there samples. Never mind all the other junk. I would bet finland has better water than we do. I would best most of western europe does. But for people here, our water quality is in crisis, we just don't know it yet. So I am right there with you. And heck, bottled water is expensive here and not perfect either. The best solution for everyone would be an R/O filter. You can get more than your moneys worth out of those and be sure. Personally I think it stinks that we even have to consider this., and I wish it wasn't so.
We don't have a lot of money right now, and basic upkeep alone is tough.
So I know where you are coming from. But the question was originally posed as is this o.k.?, as in fine, no problems. I think nothing could be further from the truth, at least in the USA. Outside of my country, I know very little. I know about dirty water in africa, yada yada, but I don't really know how water is treated elsewhere. Peace, Ryan
I think I'll do some studying about the quality of tap water in the states. If what you say is true, I'm truly stunned.

Anyone thanks for the information.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i'm not saying tap water is ok in every single city across america. just almost all ;) especially where there is a lot of people (like austin ;)). either way, "turn on your faucet and water your spiders." also, this topic has been beaten to death in the past. i just decided to participate in a little flogging myself today. i'm tired though, so enough beating from me.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I'll do some studying about the quality of tap water in the states. If what you say is true, I'm truly stunned.
Of course the quality's bad...it affects our brains and keeps us asking silly questions such as "tap or bottled water for my T?" & "help, my T's not eating!" :wall:

...tap water, all the way.

Last edited:

Buckshot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My tap water is very good.
I drink it every day, and i´m not dead :p
It all depends on where you live.
In a town not long from here, the aquarists have had trouble keeping their fishes alive.
If i lived there, i wouldn´t drink it or let my spiders drink it.:embarrassed:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the tap water in your county carries a high human fatality rate after it's consumed, you better use bottled water. If the tap water in your county seems to not have a high human fatality rate after its consumed, you are probably safe using it.

For the record I have been using tap water for years and no ill effects.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd also like to echo that I have been using tap water for years with no negative affects.

I'd also like to add that this has been brought up many times before, with the same argument every time. Just scroll to the bottom of this page and look at the similar threads.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Flogging?

I don't feel flogged. And safe water, as in it doesn't have giardia, I will give you that. But safe long term for any life? I know the answer to that. You can say whatever you want. But my opinion is based on knowledge. So flog away. You can dismiss long term health threats by acting like chlorine, fluoride, pharmacuticals, etc, are safe all you want.... But the TRUTH is, these things are known to affect life. Some in ways we know, others in ways we don't. You can play chemical roulette with your dna. It's not my problem, and I have enough of my own. But just know, you are wrong! ;P

Peace, Ryan

FYI, I am not trying to offend anyone. If I am coming across like that, it is by accident only. I can agree to disagree and believe this is a topic for further discussion when I have a little more time and can give you all some better details and examples. And again, some of my best friends disagree with me on this as well. This is a very subjective problem due to the fact that NO long term studies have been done showing the effects of all of these chemicals combined. In some ways, you are all right. But just because they didn't know DDT was nasty stuff in '33 doesn't mean it wasn't. Same goes for the first nuclear testing where people wore sunglasses within close range of explosion having no idea what they were doing. There are a ton of examples like this. They go on and on and on, and yet humanity just shrugs each one off like an abnormality. When in truth, most chemicals effect us at some point or ppm range. We don't have a complete picture yet because this is just an experiment, ON US! Only future generations will know exactly how stupid we really were. (I include my self in this), anyway, peace, ryan

here's a link about the Pharmies, http://www.ewg.org/node/26128

i'm not saying tap water is ok in every single city across america. just almost all ;) especially where there is a lot of people (like austin ;)). either way, "turn on your faucet and water your spiders." also, this topic has been beaten to death in the past. i just decided to participate in a little flogging myself today. i'm tired though, so enough beating from me.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I don't feel flogged.
good. you weren't supposed to. my reference to beating/flogging a dead horse was not quite understood.

and you are quite entitled to your own opinion! please buy bottled water if you want to.

but, topic on hand... tap water.

MatthewS

Arachnopeon
I actually keep a Brita water pitcher for myself. The filter will take out some decent amounts of chlorine, calcium, etc and it makes my water taste better to me personally. That said, since it's already available to me via pitcher, I just pour some in my spray bottle and dropper bottle.. if it's already there, I see no harm in 'playing it safe'

I don't know if it's one of those things where expense negates the need, but you can always boil some of your water for free, let it stand cool, and fill the bottle with that. Tons of free stuff you can do to make the water better than tap. I just can't rightly comment on wether any of it is necessary.

My .02

- Matt

JasonCrowl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
tap water

I have had T's since '93 and have always used tap water....but the water where I live is very good....just to be safe, I take the water and keep it in a jug for a day or two....I've never bought bottled water in my life, and intend on keeping it that way....