Tarantula Caviar?

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
Why don't us Humans, who opt to ask if we could rather then if we should, eat Tarantula Caviar?

My Versicolor laid a phantom sac a few days ago in a web tube right up against the door while I was away for the weekend. I wasted no time and yoinked it outta there, popped it open to find beautiful, pale-yellow perfectly round, unfertilized eggs. In looking at the small pile of tarantula eggs in my hand, I--very sanely, of course--thought to myself, "I wonder what these taste like!...? :bucktooth:"

Probably not caviar, I concluded, before feeding them to my beetles.

But the thought stuck with me and, after a bunch of googling when I should've been working, it seems like that ExoticsLair guy is the only one to actually consume the eggs. He cooked them in olive oil though.

I am just surprised that nobody has brined Tarantula eggs into caviar as far as I could find out. I know in some places such as Cambodia, tarantulas are cooked and eaten whole.

I mean fish caviar is expensive because it's rare*, and people eat it because it's expensive. Rich people will eat anything if it is expensive, and tarantula eggs are rare. So why isn't tarantula caviar a thing???

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Why don't us Humans, who opt to ask if we could rather then if we should, eat Tarantula Caviar?

My Versicolor laid a phantom sac a few days ago in a web tube right up against the door while I was away for the weekend. I wasted no time and yoinked it outta there, popped it open to find beautiful, pale-yellow perfectly round, unfertilized eggs. In looking at the small pile of tarantula eggs in my hand, I--very sanely, of course--thought to myself, "I wonder what these taste like!...? :bucktooth:"

But the thought stuck with me and, after a bunch of googling when I should've been working, it seems like that ExoticsLair guy is the only one to actually consume the eggs. He cooked them in olive oil though.

I am just surprised that nobody has brined Tarantula eggs into caviar as far as I could find out. I know in some places such as Cambodia, tarantulas are cooked and eaten whole.

I mean fish caviar is expensive because it's rare*, and people eat it because it's expensive. Rich people will eat anything if it is expensive, and tarantula eggs are rare. So why isn't tarantula caviar a thing???
Because these wild people would rather cook the spider then keep them as pet’s until a phantom egg sack. Little to no nutritional value in tarantula all there doing is driving extinction closer . Chicken Eggs have more nutrients.
Why not popular because some rich chefs like Gordon Ramsay don’t have spider farms . ??? :rofl:

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
some rich chefs like Gordon Ramsay don’t have spider farms
Or we're just too broke to know about them! :rofl:

I do wanna specify that I don't support mass harvesting of tarantula eggs for consumption and all the unethical implications of commercialized tarantula caviar haha.

Motherofspiders112707

Arachnopeon

The infertile eggs definitely wouldn’t taste like caviar, but I’ve never had caviar so I don’t know what that tastes like either. You could probably season the eggs though, if you really wanted to try it. I don’t think they’d taste like anything otherwise😂

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I don't eat caviar. Neither the taste nor the principal appeals to me.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +

Try it and let us know how it tastes. If its a phantom sac there is nothing to lose.

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
I don’t think they’d taste like anything
I think they'd either be the most delicious or the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten.

Try it and let us know how it tastes... There is nothing to lose.
Nothing to lose huh? *Dies*

I Prefer Chicken Embryos
Delicious and versatile, always available. I agree, the chicken makes a fine egg. But the chicken itself? Eh... They're disproportional, awkward birds that have wings but cant fly--like they're quirky birds, but not in a good, penguin type of way; nothing to write home about honestly. Sorry chickens. :chicken::bored: Tarantulas are the cooler birds and therefore, by necessity, produce the cooler eggs. And we should eat them.

All right think about it this way. What if we replaced the GMOd gigantic chickens used in egg farms with GMOd gigantic T. Blondi tarantulas? A chicken only lays about 500 eggs in a lifetime, whereas a T. Blondi could do that many in a little over a year, and live two times longer.
Humans are using bad reasoning when choosing their eggs.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I think they'd either be the most delicious or the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten.

Nothing to lose huh? *Dies*

Delicious and versatile, always available. I agree, the chicken makes a fine egg. But the chicken itself? Eh... They're disproportional, awkward birds that have wings but cant fly--like they're quirky birds, but not in a good, penguin type of way; nothing to write home about honestly. Sorry chickens. :chicken::bored: Tarantulas are the cooler birds and therefore, by necessity, produce the cooler eggs. And we should eat them.

All right think about it this way. What if we replaced the GMOd gigantic chickens used in egg farms with GMOd gigantic T. Blondi tarantulas? A chicken only lays about 500 eggs in a lifetime, whereas a T. Blondi could do that many in a little over a year, and live two times longer.
Humans are using bad reasoning when choosing their eggs.
Could be factories of dodos 🦤 if some low iq sailers didn’t eat them all .:🥲
The chicken is similar but in a different bird family.
Chicken is just a dodo 🦤 like bird adopted By humans as a food source . Sadly dodo 🦤 were eaten to extinction. Because the sailors decided they tasted good.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
There are whole towns in thailand where they eat deep fried t's and the cooked eggs are a delicacy not just t's either scorps, crix, even centipedes, basically if it moves its deep fried... there is also a tribe in South America that eats Theraphosa, they specifically go looking and dig them out as a snack when they are hunting. Not my taste and it makes my skin crawl but people eat what they have in abundance and alot of countries have more bugs then livestock so it makes sense to them.
Still not for me though.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
There are whole towns in thailand where they eat deep fried t's and the cooked eggs are a delicacy not just t's either scorps, crix, even centipedes, basically if it moves its deep fried... there is also a tribe in South America that eats Theraphosa, they specifically go looking and dig them out as a snack when they are hunting. Not my taste and it makes my skin crawl but people eat what they have in abundance and alot of countries have more bugs then livestock so it makes sense to them.
Still not for me though.
It’s not sustainable those species don’t grow fast enough basically same as my post about the dodo .🦤 yeah I would not ever eat a land invert of any kind gross !🤮
Shrimp 🦐 fine
Those people eating tarantulas centipede, and scorpions got the iq of a ham sandwich 🥪, there worth more to sell anywhere than to eat .

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
It’s not sustainable those species don’t grow fast enough basically same as my post about the dodo .🦤 yeah I would not ever eat a land invert of any kind gross !🤮
Shrimp 🦐 fine
Those people eating tarantulas centipede, and scorpions got the iq of a ham sandwich 🥪, there worth more to sell anywhere than to eat .
Yer I won't even eat shrimp 🤣🤣🤣 anything that floats in it and other stuffs waist is no good to me , same reason I won't eat fish 😆
I totally agree they should be left alive but at the same time I understand why they do. The inverts may not be abundant now but hundreds of years ago when these traditions started they were, it's only been recently due to deforestation and unfortunately our hobby and a boom in population these creatures have started to disappear and decline. Inverts may not be a sustainable food now but once upon a time they were. People ate them for hundreds probably thousands of years before a boom in ppl, the hobby and loss of habitat caused a rapid decline. And as these people have done this for so long they don't understand why it's wrong now.

Plus I am the last person to judge anyone on what they eat, I like peanut butter and cucumber sandwiches 🤣🤣🤣

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
Dried Crickets are milled into Acheta Protein and added to People Food.
77% Protein, Amino Acids, Omega 3 & 6, B12, Iron, Magnesium, Calcium and Zinc.
yum yum

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I've eaten Crickets, superworms, and ants. These were insects (insect larvae in the case of the superworms, of course) commercially produced as novelty items. The crickets and superworms were chocolate covered, the ants were small and dusted in some kind a spice mixture. They were more or less a bunch of small crunched up ants, and kind of gritty. I was not super impressed with them, both on account of the grittiness and the spice coating. They did not send me dashing for the bathroom with my hand clamped over my mouth, though.
There was nothing remarkable about the other two bugs, they were just crunchy and all I got in regard to the flavor was the chocolate. I'd esten thecrickets and worms once before, butthe ants were a new experience.

Oddly, this is the second time within the past 24 hours that I've told about it on-line, the topic came up on a social media page.