Tarantula dks...

hairyspideyfan

Arachnopeon
Just thought I would share my thoughts with you re this - My rosie was moving about like she had DKS when I bought her from a breeder last year. She was badly stumbling about, erratically waving her pedipalps all over the place, had very poor co-ordination, and would occasionally collapse. She was an absolute bag of nerves, and I was really worried about her.

The guy I bought her from had kept her in a 6 inch x 4 inch plastic sandwich box for 4 years, since she was about a year old, and was now a large adult female. I rehomed her right away in a larger enclosure. As soon as I saw her move, as described above, I first thought she had some sort of deformity, but over time in her new home, she slowly improved, and then when she molted 9 months later, she started to move more normally, but still not as good as my other T's.

I am convinced by the way she was kept in such a tiny space for most of her life contributed to her moving in such an abnormal way. I understand the space issue wouldn't apply to slings, but I wonder if in some circumstances, especially in adults, symptoms that can look like DKS can be attributed to conditions that the T is kept before we end up with them- lack of space for example?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Just thought I would share my thoughts with you re this - My rosie was moving about like she had DKS when I bought her from a breeder last year. She was badly stumbling about, erratically waving her pedipalps all over the place, had very poor co-ordination, and would occasionally collapse. She was an absolute bag of nerves, and I was really worried about her.

The guy I bought her from had kept her in a 6 inch x 4 inch plastic sandwich box for 4 years, since she was about a year old, and was now a large adult female. I rehomed her right away in a larger enclosure. As soon as I saw her move, as described above, I first thought she had some sort of deformity, but over time in her new home, she slowly improved, and then when she molted 9 months later, she started to move more normally, but still not as good as my other T's.

I am convinced by the way she was kept in such a tiny space for most of her life contributed to her moving in such an abnormal way. I understand the space issue wouldn't apply to slings, but I wonder if in some circumstances, especially in adults, symptoms that can look like DKS can be attributed to conditions that the T is kept before we end up with them- lack of space for example?
No. Have you seen the burrows spiders have in the wild/captivity?

Here is the video of her walking..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFVw9Hly7kA&feature=youtu.be

This is her little house, I am getting substrate today
View attachment 128714

Sorry for it being sideways again.. I have to take pictures and videos from my phone
Give that spider water. Water first, then substrate. Water is more important then anything else right now. Good luck.

Mooshroom

Arachnopeon
Give that spider water. Water first, then substrate. Water is more important then anything else right now. Good luck.
Yeah she has water, I just took the bowl out for that picture. Thank you everyone for helpful information, It really means a lot

hairyspideyfan

Arachnopeon
No. Have you seen the burrows spiders have in the wild/captivity?

I have 2 rosea's and 2 brachy's. All of them have been allowed to make their own burrows and they spend most of their time in there. But they do have the opportunity to stretch their legs and move around their enclosures. In my rosie's case, there was a definate improvement once she had the extra space. I'm glad it turned out she didn't have DKS, but looking at Mooshroom's video, there were similarities in their behaviour.

RegallRegius

Arachnosquire
As advan said... water, immediately. Best done by giving water directly into mouth, as it may not be able to drink from a dish. Try wetting a cotton ball and place it right on the mouth. Very important that the spider get water in its system ASAP.

Good luck!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
If you're lacking in substrate (which still not sure what possessed you to take away this ailing tarantula's sub, this will only add to her stress), line the sterilite with paper towels. Also, if you're hoping for her to improve, maybe stop prodding her.

Mooshroom

Arachnopeon
Alright thank you everyone!

Also I was showing how she reacts , considering someone wanted to see how she moves.