tARANTULA KEEPERS GUIDE

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tkg...

The Tarantula Keeper's Guide is an excellent source of information, as are other publications. Mine is worn and faded with use with the occasional coffee stain. Reading these is imperative but experience is what pours the foundation for a rewarding hobby.
I commend all the newbies for aquiring the TKG, but asking questions, no matter how "inarticulate" they may be is just cause for learning.
Ask away. That is what we are here for.
The knowledge I have gleaned from keepers on this site has been beneficial, and I have been keeping T's for over 20 years.
The newbie has questions, let him/her ask. Give the newbie some credit for reaching out to us here.

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Correct me if I am wrong, but even if you acquire the guide before getting a T, once you get the actual live animal, things still may seem a little different to you. It is kind of like on the job training, you know? You can go to school for it, practice scenarios over and over, but once you are put in the actual situation, it can be totally different than what you were taught to expect. We were all newbies to this hobby once upon a time, and we all know we want to get people to see these wonderful animals as we do. Jumping down someone's throat is not really an effective way to do that. After they have been here on the boards for a bit, they will learn about posting questions and realizing there are already threads for what they want to know. Give them time to learn and understand, and be patient. As was already stated, we do not want newbies to think we experienced T keepers are a bunch of jerks who will not give them the time of day. We want this hobby to be more successful than that! If it peeves you too much, ignore their thread and go to the next one. Remember, they are still learning! Patience, people!!!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
To sum up this thread, yes, TTKG is an excellent resource for tarantula information, the boards here just as good, and there is no substitute for experience. Berfore you acquire any pet, buy a book and learn how to care for it properly.

In addition, newbies are the reason we are here. The purpose of this site is to exchange information, ideas and experiences. Doesn't matter to us if it's a first time poster, or an experienced keeper, at AB, all are equal and deserve equal treatment.

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanx, MizM, that was well put! I hope everyone else can see it that way!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
lta3398 said:
Thanx, MizM, that was well put! I hope everyone else can see it that way!

They have no choice, that's the way it is!!! ;)

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL, everyone needs that attitude, lady! We will get there eventually, though! Have no fear, newbies...I will help you if I can!!!!

Tarantulasse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to say I think this thread was a bit harsh. Newbs come here because they don't even know the TKG exists, and coming on the net to get your question answered is also the quickest way to get a response.

The new people are coming on here because they DO CARE about their new T's. Just because they don't know quite how to take care of them doesn't mean they are stupid or cruel. If they were any of those they wouldn't have found this board in the first place.

I don't think it's right to make people feel guilty for not knowing. They are trying their best, and brave enough to ask what some may percieve as "stupid question." I give them cudos. I'm practically a newb myself anyhow, but I answer whatever questions I can, and will continue to. Giving people a hard time for answering questions will kinda defeat the whole point of this forum, and it may deter someone from asking a question that will help their T be more comforatable.

So quit dissing the newbs ya overzealous hotshot know it all ;P

Belarius

Arachnopeon
Old Timer
Heah!, heah!, good lady, well put! Heah, heah!!! Did I already say, Heah! Heah!? :? :D

Darryl Albers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
It is not as much a debate about whether the TTKG or the forums are a better source of information, but rather that someone new to the hobby spend some time learning about T's before they get one. It is important that someone take the time to learn the basics before even getting a tarantula.

Thats all i wanted to say . cap lock off now .
i am a newbie myself after only 12 months . :)

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
becca81 said:
IMHO, while The Tarantula Keeper's Guide was quite informative, I've learned a lot more from these forums.

I feel like a lot of slamming goes on toward new people who have a tarantula and don't know anything about it. What's the point of slamming them? You can't go back and change the situation. They have the spider. They want to learn more about it.

I was in the hobby for about 7 months before I bought The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Forums have been my main source of information and the collective knowledge of everyone on these forums is phenomenal!
I agree with Bec ALL the way!!! I have learned way more info from you guys than my 'T Bible'. However, I do believe it is a necessity for all T owners.

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been keeping t's for a few years and still don't own the "tbible".I ownevery other t book there is,but all that I've learned that I didn't know came from here.This should be the "t bible"

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Tarantulasse said:
I have to say I think this thread was a bit harsh. Newbs come here because they don't even know the TKG exists, and coming on the net to get your question answered is also the quickest way to get a response.

The new people are coming on here because they DO CARE about their new T's. Just because they don't know quite how to take care of them doesn't mean they are stupid or cruel. If they were any of those they wouldn't have found this board in the first place.

I don't think it's right to make people feel guilty for not knowing. They are trying their best, and brave enough to ask what some may percieve as "stupid question." I give them cudos. I'm practically a newb myself anyhow, but I answer whatever questions I can, and will continue to. Giving people a hard time for answering questions will kinda defeat the whole point of this forum, and it may deter someone from asking a question that will help their T be more comforatable.

So quit dissing the newbs ya overzealous hotshot know it all ;P
Did you miss post #23? Scroll back up and try again...

Tarantulasse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
MizM said:
Did you miss post #23? Scroll back up and try again...
No, I thought your post was awesome. I was actually referring to the thread starter.