Tarantula moving his substrate?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Hi n welcome to ab,
don't worry your floofer will come out when ready either with new clothes or when they are done looking into the abyss, there is no time frame on this it could be a few days it could be a year it just depends on your spoods body clock so we can't help with a time frame really, just make sure the water dish is full and pour some water into the sub now n again to try n make sure if they aren't coming up they can still burrow to moisture, apart from that all you can do is be patient and wait for your t to emerge.... its usually why we end up with more, you get one floofer, floofer burrows and us impatient humans get another t so we can at least see 1 and so the cycle goes.
But I do suggest you do more research as @viper69 said all be it rather bluntly (its why we love him he doesn't mess about šŸ˜Š ) research is your best friend with these magnificent creatures and the more you do the more you are prepared and know what things like shutting the door means, it will also help with your confidence with your t and give you a much better appreciation for the floofer you keep.
Gl to you both šŸ™‚

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Iā€™m sorry, am I not supposed to mist his tank?

I know a little about him and Iā€™ve read up on a few things but I donā€™t know anybody else that owns a tarantula so I canā€™t go to them for advice. Thatā€™s why I use this forum - nobody else can tell me if I should be worried about certain things, and often times Iā€™ve found reading up on things to be contradictory so I like to go to actual people for advice. Iā€™m utterly enamoured with tarantulas and have read up on certain things but I only ask on here in case people have noticed the same things in theirs. Thatā€™s all
Good- keep reading, you need to

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
When I see one of my tarantulas burrow out of nowhere I consider the following scenarios:

It's just being a tarantula
It's looking for shelter, either from the elements or light
It's seeking moisture
It's looking for a safe place to prepare for a molt

If any of those things I can control, I correct them and then continue observing. I don't intervene unless I see a dire need to (like a death curl). Just have to trust the process.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Tarantulas just need privacy sometimes, he will come out when he is ready
He's probably watching TV
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Dream of dreaming of when they finally eat again. The only thing that ever worried about when they shut the borrow they leave occasionally for water.?

Gevo

Arachnopeon
Hi, and welcome!

Itā€™s good that youā€™re using the boards to ask questionsā€”caring for these animals can certainly be confusing because theyā€™re not commonly kept, there arenā€™t usually any veterinarians to tell us if our animals are in good health, and our spidersā€™ health and happiness depends mostly on how diligent their keepers are about actively seeking knowledge about them!

The forum can be a great resource when we run into new challenges, but thereā€™s also the ā€œyou donā€™t know what you donā€™t knowā€ challenge that leads a lot of people to only start getting important information after thereā€™s already a problem, so with that in mind, I highly recommend you read through the beginnersā€™ thread posted above, and also check out Tom Moranā€™s website called Tomā€™s Big Spiders (that will lead you to his blog, YouTube channel, and podcast, all of which are great). He should have information about the Tlitocatl albopilosus (curly hair) species, but much of the general information you find about New World terrestrials will apply to this species too. Iā€™ve also found Daveā€™s Little Beasties (YouTube) to be reasonably helpful as Iā€™m learning.

You can also Google Tarantula Heaven. She has a fairly extensive eBook on tarantula care, though use some caution with that one. Some of the information seems a bit outdated, so donā€™t use it as a single source of truth, but it provides a decent overview to help you get some of the basics covered so you can better see what gaps you might need to seek more targeted advice with.

sarahbaggott

Arachnopeon
A little update

As mentioned before it was well over a year since Gomez ate anything. Iā€™m happy to say heā€™s eating again! Many of you were right - he was fasting, I just got worried because people commented that was a very long time to go without food. I bought him a new box of locusts two weeks ago and Iā€™ve been feeding him 1-2 every two days. Heā€™s almost cleared the box now. Iā€™ve taken your advice and done a lot more reading up about him as Iā€™ll admit I wasnā€™t very well prepared to have a tarantula. I feel rather silly that I kept posting here for every little thingā€¦Iā€™ve also noticed that he does a little dance and spins around in a circle before finishing his locust which is quite funny.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
As mentioned before it was well over a year since Gomez ate anything. Iā€™m happy to say heā€™s eating again! Many of you were right - he was fasting, I just got worried because people commented that was a very long time to go without food. I bought him a new box of locusts two weeks ago and Iā€™ve been feeding him 1-2 every two days. Heā€™s almost cleared the box now. Iā€™ve taken your advice and done a lot more reading up about him as Iā€™ll admit I wasnā€™t very well prepared to have a tarantula. I feel rather silly that I kept posting here for every little thingā€¦Iā€™ve also noticed that he does a little dance and spins around in a circle before finishing his locust which is quite funny.
It's good that he's eating again, but 2 locusts every 2 days is a great way to get him started fasting again in short order. An adult specimen like that might need to be fed once a week, but more like once every 10-14 days. Remember, a hungry T is an active T - when you feed them loads in a short period, they will stop eating and sit in their burrow for months until they feel like they need to eat again. Even if you don't overfeed them, they can still go on a hunger strike... My female hasn't eaten in 9 months and I fed her sparingly before she went on strike.

cold blood

Staff member
I bought him a new box of locusts two weeks ago and Iā€™ve been feeding him 1-2 every two days.
this absurd feeding schedule is precisely why it went on the super long hunger strike...there is no reason to feed that often....feed him one every 1-2 WEEKS not days.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A little update

Once a month is more reasonable plus it looks fat.
wish the sub adult I got at pet shop was healthy rip.ā˜¹ all I got left is a sling from the pet shop, weā€™re did you get yours?

Niss

Arachnopeon
Centipedes, rats and scorpions are pretty alien šŸ‘½!!! Precisely why they do it. Often theyā€™re fasting or in pre-molt.
Isn't it odd that the longer I keep spiders, the more I start to think it's human beings that are the aliens. The spider has no agenda, no opinion...they're remarkably genuine creatures just going about their day being spiders. Human beings on the other hand...

The danger for me in keeping spiders is not physical, but rather social apparently.

~N