Tarantula Venom

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spider venom are mostly made of peptides while bee, snake and scorpion venom are made of proteins. Simply put, that is the main reason why those venoms causes allergic responses while spider venom doesnt. Its not really a matter of exposure, its a matter of what the venom are made of.

/Lelle

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpions too? My understanding was that allergies to any arachnid venom are virtually unheard of.

Wade

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, because of the different type of venom composition compared to spiders.

/Lelle

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crotalus, could you entertain my ignorance and explain what a peptide is, and why they are less likely to cause allergic reactions than proteins? I don't know why the peptide/ protein difference would inhibit the possibility of an allergy developing. I know for a fact that allergies can be caused by more than just proteins, as I am very allergic to Iodine. Could you please explain this further?

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sheri said:
I will if someone sends me the subject and I get to keep it as a souvenir of the experiment. :D

(Like for real... so just PM me, ok?) ;)
No prob, I'll send you a nice big female (getting out a neon blue marker and a P. regalis ) Let us know how it goes eh?? ;P
Damn.... shouldnt have offered, you'd probably take P. regalis off my hands as fast as metallica, LOL ;)

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Andrew vV said:
No prob, I'll send you a nice big female (getting out a neon blue marker and a P. regalis ) Let us know how it goes eh?? ;P
Damn.... shouldnt have offered, you'd probably take P. regalis off my hands as fast as metallica, LOL ;)

Yes, totally I have neither right now...

Just kidding. I like to earn my spiders the old fashioned way. ;)

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantula venom...

Tarantula venom is just beginning to be researched and looked into for possible medicines for heart disease. This is awesome.
The latest I have heard is the research being done at The University of Buffalo, New York. They have isolated components of Chilean Rose venom and have discovered it has anti-blood clotting benefits. This has them excited as this may be a future medicine for heart patients.
Way cool stuff... I commend them for their effort.
What we don't know about the world around us is stunning.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Venom said:
Crotalus, could you entertain my ignorance and explain what a peptide is, and why they are less likely to cause allergic reactions than proteins? I don't know why the peptide/ protein difference would inhibit the possibility of an allergy developing. I know for a fact that allergies can be caused by more than just proteins, as I am very allergic to Iodine. Could you please explain this further?

Simply put, a peptide is a shorter sequence of aminoacids then a protein sequence. Its the size itself that is the reason for not causing the respons.

True, all kind of substances can cause a allergic reaction. The response is the same whether its a protein in a venom or another foreign substance. There are just some substances that are more likely to cause a anaphylactic shock then others (bee/snake venom, nuts, shellfish for example)

For a good explaination on anaphylaxis click here

/Lelle

Freddie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spider venom are mostly made of peptides while bee, snake and scorpion venom are made of proteins. Simply put, that is the main reason why those venoms causes allergic responses while spider venom doesnt. Its not really a matter of exposure, its a matter of what the venom are made of.
Well... peptides are proteins. Even they are shorter.

Does anyone knows if it's possible to find those texts that Sheri was linked on the page 2(?)?

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think now with this thread people should rule out that t venom is dangerous but we still dont know how dangerous.theres only one way to find out how potient t venom is but i think no one would volunteer to try.we just got to remember that t's are wild animals you cant tame them so just be careful even if you are the best tarantula keeper ever t's can still attack.lol i know every1 knows that but just saying

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its interesting to me seeing the way their venom breaks down their prey.

John

ian robbins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
way to let'em hang, but dont let your mouth write a check....

I haver seen studies on diffrent types of venom's on Wikipedia (including T venom), I will try to find it and post it.

I will if someone sends me the subject and I get to keep it as a souvenir of the experiment. :D

(Like for real... so just PM me, ok?) ;)
If I had one, I would make this happen!
You would have to video that stuff though.:D
Way to annie-up! :worship:
When you get the PM, it means I have slings and you are getting bitten.

And you have to name it "Bittey"

-Your biggest fan, Ian

PS
I have a mysore that is yours right now for the same terms.....
I'll send you whatever you want if you let it bite your face.......:drool:

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One thing i really don´t understand is, One can be allergic to anything. Man!, you can be allergic and die from a strawberry. Why can´t you be allergic to peptides in spidervenom??? /Johan

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One thing i really don´t understand is, One can be allergic to anything. Man!, you can be allergic and die from a strawberry. Why can´t you be allergic to peptides in spidervenom??? /Johan
Because peptides are too small for the immune system's agents to detect and react to. Let me put it this way: by being composed partly of protein, a virus is, by definition, already far larger than a peptide. We're talking molecules smaller than a virus, whereas your immune agents are cell-sized. It's like having too small a radar signature to be detectable. Pollen allergies, peanut allergies--they're all caused by reactions to proteins. Since tarantula venom ( be careful here, this doesn't cover "true spider" venom ) is based on peptides and not proteins, its toxic components "fly under the radar," and are essentially hypoallergenic.

Araneomorph, "true spiders," however, DO have protein-based venoms, and so CAN elicit an immune response in humans.

runnergirl

Arachnopeon
Peptides have received prominence in molecular biology in recent times for several reasons. The first and most important is that peptides allow the creation of peptide antibodies in animals without the need to purify the protein of interest.[12] This involves synthesizing antigenic peptides of sections of the protein of interest. These will then be used to make antibodies in a rabbit or mouse against the protein.

quoted from Wikipedia. Because mammals have remarkably similar immune systems, it follows that humans can, too, develop antibodies (thus stimulating immune system response, and potentially one of the hypersenstivity reactions), to peptides.

I would agree they may be less likely because of decreased complexity of your average peptide vs. your average protein (and hence fewer places to attach an antibody to), but, they have studied this subject in attempts to make hypoallergenic diets (by hydrolyzing food proteins), and we know that it is not currently possible to achieve such a small size (measured in daltons) that the immune system cannot create a hypersensitivity reaction.

Just the Devil's advocate here. I don't think we're so lucky as to not be able to be allergic.

I also agree that the general public way overplays the danger of a T.

Sherry

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Because peptides are too small for the immune system's agents to detect and react to. Let me put it this way: by being composed partly of protein, a virus is, by definition, already far larger than a peptide. We're talking molecules smaller than a virus, whereas your immune agents are cell-sized. It's like having too small a radar signature to be detectable. Pollen allergies, peanut allergies--they're all caused by reactions to proteins. Since tarantula venom ( be careful here, this doesn't cover "true spider" venom ) is based on peptides and not proteins, its toxic components "fly under the radar," and are essentially hypoallergenic.

Araneomorph, "true spiders," however, DO have protein-based venoms, and so CAN elicit an immune response in humans.
Perhaps it's not possible to have the same "allergic" reaction from a T bite as from a bee sting, but is it not possible to have an equally severe reaction? Something different could be happening on a cellular level, but the reaction could be very similar.

Just reading the bite reports, you can quickly see that different people react very differently to T venom, just like they react differently to bee venom. Couldn't, therefore, a person have a reaction to T venom that is the same symptomatically as an allergic reaction to a bee sting?

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Simply put, a peptide is a shorter sequence of aminoacids then a protein sequence. Its the size itself that is the reason for not causing the response.

True, all kind of substances can cause a allergic reaction. The response is the same whether its a protein in a venom or another foreign substance. There are just some substances that are more likely to cause a anaphylactic shock then others (bee/snake venom, nuts, shellfish for example)

/Lelle
well said, another point is the low frequency of T bite's (similar to low frequency of armadillo to human leprosy transmission lol), poor reporting and documentation from the areas where the majority of bites do occur (south america, central america, south east asia, china, and the south pacific islands), lack of studies on T's in general or their venom, vast differences in T venom between genus' and lack of comparison studies, secondary contributing factors (ie gangrene and other infections). As has been mentioned peptides being small and going un-noticed by the body doesn't mean that other larger proteins don't exist in T venom it has been shown in some of the few studies, even so thats shown by the swelling that occurs in the body beyond the initial puncture area (which can be said to swell just from the puncture itself). The biggest problem is that T venom study doesn't pay at this point, other venoms with greater compositions of larger proteins are easier to work with and isolate. The growing use of these proteins in the experimental medical field for treatments of various physical ailments (arthritis ect) may lead to more intense studies of the other less workable venoms, but thats still down the road a bit. We shouldn't be surprised by this, it's been going on with plants (a large reservoir of natural pharmocopeia) and the destruction of so many unstudied plant species in the rain forests. I really enjoy these science based discussions we have and the ideas, theories, and hypothesis we have. I think many of our ideas have merit and well funded researchers should consider follow through on them, but we all need to remember that despite what we believe or think most of what we assume, have heard, have read, or believe is based on very spotty and limited study. This thread has been great at showing how varied our levels of knowledge are and the links to studies gives everyone the opportunity to increase their understanding of the field. Cheers to the OP, I wish these type of discussions took place more often.
Rev

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Peptides have received prominence in molecular biology in recent times for several reasons. The first and most important is that peptides allow the creation of peptide antibodies in animals without the need to purify the protein of interest.[12] This involves synthesizing antigenic peptides of sections of the protein of interest. These will then be used to make antibodies in a rabbit or mouse against the protein.

quoted from Wikipedia. Because mammals have remarkably similar immune systems, it follows that humans can, too, develop antibodies (thus stimulating immune system response, and potentially one of the hypersenstivity reactions), to peptides.

I would agree they may be less likely because of decreased complexity of your average peptide vs. your average protein (and hence fewer places to attach an antibody to), but, they have studied this subject in attempts to make hypoallergenic diets (by hydrolyzing food proteins), and we know that it is not currently possible to achieve such a small size (measured in daltons) that the immune system cannot create a hypersensitivity reaction.

Just the Devil's advocate here. I don't think we're so lucky as to not be able to be allergic.

I also agree that the general public way overplays the danger of a T.

Sherry
NORMALLY, these short peptides are conjugated onto something bigger - like PVA particles, or BSA.

Then, the immune system of the rabbit/goat/whatever sees something, gets a bunch of random antibodies to the surface of the 'conjugate'. Some of those will recognise the particles with the peptide, and the peptide itself.

Normally, the short peptides are not enough on their own.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

OK Always good to learn!:D /Johan