Tarantulas Keep Pets Supposedly

BioTeach

Arachnopeon
Not symbiosis.

However they are commensal.

I'm sure they're left alone because they're toxic.
Commensalism is a type of symbiosis. Symbiosis is a general term that covers a close relationship between organisms. The argument here would be is it commensalism or mutualism (not all symbiosis is mutualism which is what your statement suggests). It boils down to whether or not one or both organisms benefit as neither are harmed in this case. Both appear to benefit IMO = mutualism.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Commensalism is a type of symbiosis. Symbiosis is a general term that covers a close relationship between organisms. The argument here would be is it commensalism or mutualism (not all symbiosis is mutualism which is what your statement suggests). It boils down to whether or not one or both organisms benefit as neither are harmed in this case. Both appear to benefit IMO = mutualism.
I highly doubt the frogs are actually benefiting the tarantulas in any way. Not once did I suggest all symbiosis was mutualism. o_O

Im just saying the frogs are just toxic squatters and the media needs to stop sensationalizing everything.

BioTeach

Arachnopeon
I highly doubt the frogs are actually benefiting the tarantulas in any way. Not once did I suggest all symbiosis was mutualism. o_O

Im just saying the frogs are just toxic squatters and the media needs to stop sensationalizing everything.
Well, you said that it was "Not symbiosis. However it is commensal". Commensalism is symbiosis. A common misconception is that symbiosis = mutualism and your reply would actually have made sense in that regard if you meant to say mutualism instead of symbiosis.

The article states that the frog eats pests attracted to prey remains and eggs which prevents the "nest" from being destroyed. The frog benefits from the protection of living with a large spider and gets food. That's a win/win for both. If the spider received zero benefit, then it would be commensalism. Sharks and remoras are a great example of commensalism as remoras do not actually clean the shark, but hang around it for protection and scraps.

cold blood

Staff member
Well, you said that it was "Not symbiosis. However it is commensal". Commensalism is symbiosis. A common misconception is that symbiosis = mutualism and your reply would actually have made sense in that regard if you meant to say mutualism instead of symbiosis.

The article states that the frog eats pests attracted to prey remains and eggs which prevents the "nest" from being destroyed. The frog benefits from the protection of living with a large spider and gets food. That's a win/win for both. If the spider received zero benefit, then it would be commensalism. Sharks and remoras are a great example of commensalism as remoras do not actually clean the shark, but hang around it for protection and scraps.
Good points. I recall reading, or maybe I saw it on TV...I can't recall where it was, but it was a different species that lived with frogs/toads (can't recall which)...that theorized that the toxins from the frogs may also help the t by warding off potential predators, thereby making the burrow safer for the t. Which makes perfect sense IMO.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Good points. I recall reading, or maybe I saw it on TV...I can't recall where it was, but it was a different species that lived with frogs/toads (can't recall which)...that theorized that the toxins from the frogs may also help the t by warding off potential predators, thereby making the burrow safer for the t. Which makes perfect sense IMO.
Very good point, that makes more sense. Now im convinced.

:)