Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

los3r

Arachnosquire
I've got boots that are halfway up my shins and I know my spider's latin names. Do I have to go to the prisons? x)

los3r

Arachnosquire
Oh! And I've got a riding crop I found while out walking my dog too!

yodaxtreme545

Arachnosquire
I agree with some users in saying that if a rule like this were even attempted, there would be angry posts and users who leave this site.

Encouraging newer hobbiests to use scientific names is the way to go. I can speak for myself and tell you that just by seeing other people using scientific names enticed me to start using them. Lead by example.

Verbally saying and remembering them is a whole different beast lol.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
There are a size-able amount of people who think this forum community is stuck up and mean for some reason.
I've read this kind of comment before. I think this forum strikes a great balance between no nonsense commentary/advice and friendly chit chat. There's another tarantula focused forum that kinda makes me ill. A huge avatar section at the left, a similarly oversized signature section and the overuse of animated emoticons and I'm lucky to see two posts on the screen at once, both of which consist of 2 or more animated spider emoticons.

Here, you get a lot of useful, valuable advice. Like when Poec suggests Tim have a cold shower...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Have you checked out the facebook page? There are a size-able amount of people who think this forum community is stuck up and mean for some reason.
I don't let it bother me. Some tarantula forums are almost all beginners who aimlessly chit chat, cutesy stuff all day long. There's very little to learn from them, and almost all experienced collectors and breeders avoid those forums. If they think ours is too candid, I'm not losing sleep over it.

David VB

Arachnosquire
Sorry folks, but if you read all the comments again, it just seems strange to me... All are saying no to a simple rule but on the other hand, everyone also says that beginners should be teached on using the scientific name? So is it just because it's a rule that you are going crazy about it? Like you have no rules in normal life? Guess it's the difference between Europe and the US or something ;)

Please, don't misunderstand me, i'm not enforcing any rule of whatsoever on here or anywhere else. I just think it's normal (and even easier) to use the scientific names when it comes to spiders. But hey, as some said, it's a hobby and no need for anyone to tell others what to do, right?

And no, i'm not using them on dogs or cats or whatever... That's totally not the subject here...

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Why make a rule when there's no problem to fix.

Forcing people to only use binominal names will just give more work to the moderators with very little benefit since the forum already naturally settles that way anyway.

There are moments where using the common name is acceptable and others when the binominal one should be used and most people can distinguish between the two or will be told which they should use if they're new. Not being able to use common names would be very annoying in casual conversations.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So is it just because it's a rule that you are going crazy about it? Like you have no rules in normal life? Guess it's the difference between Europe and the US or something ;)
There are other "non-US" posters in this thread besides yourself, from Canada and the UK. Its a not a "Europe vs. USA" thing. ;)

Drache

Arachnosquire
There are other "non-US" posters in this thread besides yourself, from Canada and the UK. Its a not a "Europe vs. USA" thing. ;)
Perhaps David VB chose Europe because that's where he lives, but it's not just Europe. Not that I can back this up with hard facts, but just from what I see it seems that many Americans tend to be quite opposed to scientific terminology, and it's not really something that seems so much of an issue in other countries - at least not in the ones where education is considered desirable. In many places all over the world people seem to feel that knowing stuff is a fine thing that ought not to be just the privilege of snooty people.

Last edited:

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Perhaps David VB chose Europe because that's where he lives, but it's not just Europe. Not that I can back this up with hard facts, but just from what I see it seems that many Americans tend to be quite opposed to scientific terminology, and it's not really something that seems so much of an issue in other countries - at least not in the ones where education is considered desirable.
If you read David's entire post, you can clearly see he was addressing the comments and posters in this thread.

As for the rest of your post, view these (multinational) poll results: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...e-alphabetically-by-common-name-or-Latin-name

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
When I was 5 yrs. old, the animated film, Land Before Time came out...

All my friends at school were all of a sudden talking about dinosaurs as "long necks," "three horns," and "sharp tooth..." Drove me bananas.

I believe that there is something very healthy in fostering a culture where hobbyists are encouraged to learn the latin names of species. It helps to engender a knowledge seeking attitude that I think is important for understanding proper husbandry techniques, respect, and species specific needs. It also helps a lot when talking about a species to make sure we are discussing the same thing.

That said, it would be wrong to require their use. That sort of absolutism sends the wrong message to new hobbyists who we want to come looking for knowledge in this forum. Better to create a culture (as it is now on arachnoboards, IMO) where they know it is virutous to learn and use the latin names - where they can feel included in the community by learning the names - instead of saying that they can't come in until they know the passwords.

I would bet there aren't too many folks who flat out refuse to learn the latin names and I would expect they don't do very well around here anyway and quickly stop hanging around. Am I wrong? Is this currently a big problem?

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Sorry folks, but if you read all the comments again, it just seems strange to me... All are saying no to a simple rule but on the other hand, everyone also says that beginners should be teached on using the scientific name? So is it just because it's a rule that you are going crazy about it? Like you have no rules in normal life? Guess it's the difference between Europe and the US or something ;)

Please, don't misunderstand me, i'm not enforcing any rule of whatsoever on here or anywhere else. I just think it's normal (and even easier) to use the scientific names when it comes to spiders. But hey, as some said, it's a hobby and no need for anyone to tell others what to do, right?

And no, i'm not using them on dogs or cats or whatever... That's totally not the subject here...
Yes I agree that everyone in the hobby should make an attempt at the scientific names because they are in fact easier. But two things. 1) the Internet is full of crap fried crap. I can read a lot but it doesn't confirm that the information I'm reading is correct. Here, you have real, live people giving real, live feedback. That's an important component to learning. Confirmation. 2) not all members here are really hobbyists. Some people have one spider and want to make sure it's cared for properly. I don't think it's that important for them to know that a versicolor might not stay avicularia or what a fracta is. At least not now. Let them get used to their g rosea or g porteri (since there's debate even about this).

I guess my point is that yes, people really should be using scientific names but there's a lot out there and some are hard to remember. It takes practice. Google before posting, by all means but I don't think consequence is the answer but encouragement rather. Trust me, I have little patience for incompetence, but I can't expect people to just know everything when I still have questions myself.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
When I was 5 yrs. old, the animated film, Land Before Time came out...

All my friends at school were all of a sudden talking about dinosaurs as "long necks," "three horns," and "sharp tooth..." Drove me bananas.

I believe that there is something very healthy in fostering a culture where hobbyists are encouraged to learn the latin names of species. It helps to engender a knowledge seeking attitude that I think is important for understanding proper husbandry techniques, respect, and species specific needs. It also helps a lot when talking about a species to make sure we are discussing the same thing.

That said, it would be wrong to require their use. That sort of absolutism sends the wrong message to new hobbyists who we want to come looking for knowledge in this forum. Better to create a culture (as it is now on arachnoboards, IMO) where they know it is virutous to learn and use the latin names - where they can feel included in the community by learning the names - instead of saying that they can't come in until they know the passwords.

I would bet there aren't too many folks who flat out refuse to learn the latin names and I would expect they don't do very well around here anyway and quickly stop hanging around. Am I wrong? Is this currently a big problem?
Definitely something I can agree with. You used two words that are key in this issue, that hobbyists should be "encouraged" to use them without "requiring" their use. To bring in a rule that demands their use would just create some form of elitism, and that would no doubt put a lot of people off.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon

so your subtext is that Americans are stupid and people from Europe are somehow superior? Just because some people may not understand or appreciate the benefits of using the latin bi-nomials does not give you the right to climb up on your high horse. Americans may have a reputation as brash and entitled, but you Sir, are a shining example of the reputation that some Europeans have as stuck up.

Last edited by a moderator:

David VB

Arachnosquire
so your subtext is that Americans are stupid and people from Europe are somehow superior? Just because some people may not understand or appreciate the benefits of using the latin bi-nomials does not give you the right to climb up on your high horse. Americans may have a reputation as brash and entitled, but you Sir, are a shining example of the reputation that some Europeans have as stuck up arseholes.
I had typed a whole text about this, but i deleted it by accident. Short story, i never accused anyone of anything, while you do it right here...

I simply wanted to state that there might be a difference in using the common names in the US (or at least on US fora) and the use of scientific names on dutch/european fora... It could just be a thin of preference. Although in that poll that is linked, most choose the scientific naming, os i don't really see the point of this thread and most posts in it.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Mod Note

I have already said there will be no rule and there will never be. This thread has taken a downward spiral that easily could of been avoided. It saddens me we can't have civil debates anymore....

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.