The Beauty of Samar Cobras!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Well, just look on the bright side as you labor away, intoning your mantra, 'At least it's not a Hannah... at least it's not a Hannah...' :)

I visited the snake farm the other day. Hadn't been there in months. Looking in 'Mom and Pop's' containment was mom looking extremely mean at everything around her and her little brood of kids. Looking very porked out too. She ate her hubby a couple of nights earlier.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Well, just look on the bright side as you labor away, intoning your mantra, 'At least it's not a Hannah... at least it's not a Hannah...' :)

I visited the snake farm the other day. Hadn't been there in months. Looking in 'Mom and Pop's' containment was mom looking extremely mean at everything around her and her little brood of kids. Looking very porked out too. She ate her hubby a couple of nights earlier.
Oh shit! That sucks!

Also, hannah shit smells like hell with all the undigested scales and other snake material.

By the way, the next thing on instagram is free handling hannah babies! At least 3-4 people are at it. Completely crazy!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Oh shit! That sucks!

Also, hannah shit smells like hell with all the undigested scales and other snake material.

By the way, the next thing on instagram is free handling hannah babies! At least 3-4 people are at it. Completely crazy!
Snark, for some reason your last post is deleted but anyway, it is not hannah's only unfortunately. They are doing it with a bunch of venomous snakes including kraits.

Here are some *examples:

*Dislaimer: Non of these animals are mine. I am just reposting some pictures which was shared publicly by other individuals. Venomous snakes should not be free-handled by anyone.

TheDarkInfinity

Arachnopeon
Beautiful snakes!!! I would love to be able to keep hots, but alas my state doesn't allow it :( Someday though! Keep the pics coming!!

The Snark

Old Timer
On a couple of occasions I free handed quiet and laconic rattlers and I was very gung ho at catching wild snakes bare handed before fully identifying them. Then I got banged on the shin, one fang, by a rattler. I'd like to wish 1/10th of that pain for 30 seconds onto every clown who thinks it's cool to free hand. Or a video would have been perfect. The ER staff trying to get my heavy leather engineer boot off. My leg swollen beyond belief. They made a tiny cut at the top of the boot and the swelling was so great it split the boot down to the instep. This is your extremity on snake venom!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
On a couple of occasions I free handed quiet and laconic rattlers and I was very gung ho at catching wild snakes bare handed before fully identifying them. Then I got banged on the shin, one fang, by a rattler. I'd like to wish 1/10th of that pain for 30 seconds onto every clown who thinks it's cool to free hand. Or a video would have been perfect. The ER staff trying to get my heavy leather engineer boot off. My leg swollen beyond belief. They made a tiny cut at the top of the boot and the swelling was so great it split the boot down to the instep. This is your extremity on snake venom!
Yeah, I watched my thumb melt almost all the way to the bone from a yearling Montivipera xanthina bite, quite traumatic...

Twentytwenty

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I watched my thumb melt almost all the way to the bone from a yearling Montivipera xanthina bite, quite traumatic...
I think I'll avoid venomous snakes...

Whats the blue snake with the red head, just out of curiosity? It looks really cool.

The Snark

Old Timer
Spent the day yesterday doing snake rescue. The brilliant idea of putting in roads along all the major canals has had a side effect; it's a killing zone for all animals coming down for a drink. Yesterday was 3 baby Hannah. Has to be another 20 flattened ones over the length of my 20KM ride. Sigh

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I think I'll avoid venomous snakes...

Whats the blue snake with the red head, just out of curiosity? It looks really cool.
The red-headed krait (Bungarus flaviceps). I love them but they are snake eaters with pre-synaptic venom so not my thing. They get quite large also.

Spent the day yesterday doing snake rescue. The brilliant idea of putting in roads along all the major canals has had a side effect; it's a killing zone for all animals coming down for a drink. Yesterday was 3 baby Hannah. Has to be another 20 flattened ones over the length of my 20KM ride. Sigh
Two things, bad construction and "let's squash the snake" attitude. This sucks really...

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is another Samar video. Both snakes are in their permanent homes now and are enjoying life. I gave the female a bit of quail meet today and she seemed to love it.

[YOUTUBE]wMcBoS366ks[/YOUTUBE]

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
The red-headed krait (Bungarus flaviceps). I love them but they are snake eaters with pre-synaptic venom so not my thing. They get quite large also.
Pretty sure that's Calliophis bivirgatus. The red of Bungarus flaviceps tends to not terminate on the head like that and goes quite a ways up the tail with no interruption. Not that handling a snake with venom glands that go 1/3 down the length of the body is any smarter.

EDIT: Also, Krait bodies tend towards a triangular cross-section. The snake in your picture does not.

The Snark

Old Timer
Pretty sure that's Calliophis bivirgatus. The red of Bungarus flaviceps tends to not terminate on the head like that and goes quite a ways up the tail with no interruption. Not that handling a snake with venom glands that go 1/3 down the length of the body is any smarter.

EDIT: Also, Krait bodies tend towards a triangular cross-section. The snake in your picture does not.
Good call. No dorsal ridge scale. I had krait hazard seriously brought home to me the other day. Chatting with a friend who is a real jungle person, Burmese hilltribe completely at home living in the jungles. When discussing snakes and the krait came up he gave me a local term coined for them I couldn't pronounce. He emulated firing a pistol between his eyes. The 'bang, you're dead' snake.

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince

Good catch, posted the wrong photo.