The Hunt for good top soil ?

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
The woods. As long as there's no agriculture nearby, ought to be safe. I've collected tons of stuff from nature (woods and desert) and have never lost a spider because of it. Guessing lots of folks would disagree, but I'm not going to stop doing it just because they're worried lol.
So, I've never done that with my Ts, but pretty much all my snakes have collected branches/limbs and I've never had a single issue.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Perhaps to hunt for tree bark is feasible and I’m planning it eventually but I’m too far away the woods to carry dirt no way I could carry much , bad ankle tendinitis. That’s would mean your wild sourced soil is better then what I got at Home Depot in the past because I’ve had atleast a few bag bags .
now it’s $3 a bag !! Went up a $1 in a few years… Scott’s topsoil I considered trying but it was $3.75 or more .
Was talking about the leaf litter, although I have collected dirt from the desert for Aphonopelma and it was better than anything in the stores.

So, I've never done that with my Ts, but pretty much all my snakes have collected branches/limbs and I've never had a single issue.
Yeah dude, looks much better than store bought and it's FREE!

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Was talking about the leaf litter, although I have collected dirt from the desert for Aphonopelma and it was better than anything in the stores.

Yeah dude, looks much better than store bought and it's FREE!
Amen to that!! Climbing limbs for boas and pythons are ridiculous! I collected my own and cleaned for pennies on the dollar. Plus, I can saw and cut to exactly what I need!

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
Yeah I’ve got no idea 🤷 we’re to get safe leaf litter
I collect mine outside. I specifically go for hardwood leaves because that's what isopods prefer to eat, but if it's just for esthetics, then any leaf litter will do. When it's dried and crushed it all looks the same lol

As far as safe goes, I used to boil then dry them, but now I just collect and keep them in a bag until I need some. I've never had any issues, mind you I make sure to collect them where I'm certain no pesticides were used.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I haven't personally used that brand, but I've never had a bad experience with the bricks that you have to rehydrate. They're kind of annoying since you have to dry it out afterwards, but it works fine!
What’s the difference between coco coir and fiber ?turns out I bought coir accidentally… :rofl:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I believe Josh’s frogs sells safe leaf litter if I’m not mistaken.
I’m trying to use Home Depot basic brand top soil but I gotta go to the store and find some sort of sifter. The Timberline sucks it’s mostly micro wood chips it’s still usable just Im not buying anymore of it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I found this sifter at the dollar tree. Is it too thin of holes for top soil?? Or perfect? IMG_3232.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hmm I couldn’t find any good bark at the park I gotta go on a colder day , maybe they cleaned it all out . Is Scott’s topsoil better then regular 40 pound bags. ???

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Not sure tbh I’ve never used it.
So I’ve opened the second bag up , found 3 pillbugs ℹ captured.
Other than that it looks good quality better than the first bag. IMG_4697.jpeg IMG_4698.jpeg
now I don’t need more sub right now or I’d open a bag of Home Depot soil up to compare.
Do you cook dirt ?? Should I cook it ??

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter

Bunch of substrate posts starting in this thread. Noticed you asked there so hopefully we can migrate that conversation here lol

The main reason I asked is because I can't find any topsoils near me that don't have a bunch of additives and aren't expensive, so instead of buying reptilsoil in bulk I wanted to see if I could use my own mix. Think I will based on that conversation.

Pages 2 - 5 of that thread went so far off the rails ☺

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Bunch of substrate posts starting in this thread. Noticed you asked there so hopefully we can migrate that conversation here lol

The main reason I asked is because I can't find any topsoils near me that don't have a bunch of additives and aren't expensive, so instead of buying reptilsoil in bulk I wanted to see if I could use my own mix. Think I will based on that conversation.

Pages 2 - 5 of that thread went so far off the rails ☺
Guess no one migrated here :rofl:
this timberline top soil has so much little wood chips in it. Is there best way to filter it out?
The strainer I got will not work I really don’t know what it’s for maybe pasta…

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Guess no one migrated here :rofl:
this timberline top soil has so much little wood chips in it. Is there best way to filter it out?
The strainer I got will not work I really don’t know what it’s for maybe pasta…
For sifting dirt, I use a screen made from 1/4" grid of wire mesh. I wouldn't use a pasta strainer as that has small little holes that probably don't work as well.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I got a bag of this haven’t used any yet. does it look good? IMG_7156.jpeg IMG_7155.jpeg IMG_7153.jpeg

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I filtered it the best I could, I’m not sure what to do with the harsh stuff??
I won’t be getting this brand again, Scott’s was out of stock. Half it’s the dirt IMG_7223.jpeg IMG_7222.jpeg
The junk
IMG_7221.jpeg is probably filler junk.

FatBadBay

Arachnopeon
Try garden centers. I work at one and I use the bulk leaf compost and topsoil mixed with the coconut coir. We carry two types of topsoil, a basic and a premium from a supplier called Frey's. There's a good chance other garden centers will have similar selections.

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Try garden centers. I work at one and I use the bulk leaf compost and topsoil mixed with the coconut coir. We carry two types of topsoil, a basic and a premium from a supplier called Frey's. There's a good chance other garden centers will have similar selections.
I tried sifting out the bad stuff and it still seems pretty bad any opinions?
IMG_7936.jpeg IMG_7942.jpeg IMG_7944.jpeg

Last edited: